somewhat OT...delete button wanted

Old April 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
Boohoo1971

Default somewhat OT...delete button wanted

I do wish there were a way on my computer to delete a posting without having to
open it up. I get so tired of seeing the same very unacceptable posting over,
and over, and over again. Okay, my rage for the day, I hope. Boo
Old April 22nd 04, 05:16 PM
Caryn

I do wish there were a way on my computer to delete a posting without having
open it up. I get so tired of seeing the same very unacceptable posting
over,
and over, and over again. Okay, my rage for the day, I hope. Boo

Click "mark read" does the same basic thing. I'm assuming you are reading thru
AOL?

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old April 22nd 04, 07:52 PM
Bungadora

It is time for you to learn about filters boo.

At the bottom of your screen with all the threads listed is a box that says
preferences. Click to open. There is a box that says 'subject'. If you click
the little arrow to the right of the box a menu will drop down and you can
choose author,etc., but subject will probably do for now. Type in a word from
the title of the thread you don't want to read, for example 'nipple'. Click the
Add Filter box. The word you typed should move to the right of the screen. You
can add more filters if you like. When you are finished click the save button
on the bottom. Close out. Leave the newsgroup and re-open it again. All of the
threads containing the 'filter' words should disappear, and will not reappear
until you remove the filter. This means you should be careful about choosing
your filter words.

Filters can also be set through the preferences box on the first page you see
when you call up the newsgroups for all of the newsgroups so you could remove
the word 'nipple' (for example) from every newsgroup that you read. They are
not deleted. They just disappear into a little alternate universe of their own.
Dora

(Boohoo1971)

Old April 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
anne

Boohoo1971 said
I do wish there were a way on my computer to delete a posting without having to
open it up. I get so tired of seeing the same very unacceptable posting over,
and over, and over again. Okay, my rage for the day, I hope. Boo

no hablo AOL but most newsreaders have customizable filters or rules that you
can set up to ignore questionable material or posters. There might be an
internal help file or forum that deals with such issues.
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old April 23rd 04, 12:22 AM
M Glenn

If you have the preview pane set on your email, so that the message opens as
soon as you click on it, you may want to reset it to 'off'. That way you
could just mark the messages as 'read' and then you don't have to see them
or open them.

To change the display of the preview pane

The preview pane lets you view message contents without opening the message
in another window. To preview a message, click its title once. To open it in
its own window, double-click the title.

You can position the preview pane either below the message list or beside
it; you can choose to display or hide the message header; or you can hide
the preview pane entirely.

On the View menu, click Layout.
In the Preview Pane area, select the options you want and then click OK.
Note

To resize the preview pane and the message list, point to the divider
between them until you see a double arrow, and then drag the divider up or
down.

--
M. Glenn

Old April 23rd 04, 02:19 PM
anne

escapee said
no hablo AOL but most newsreaders have customizable filters or rules that you
can set up to ignore questionable material or posters. There might be an
internal help file or forum that deals with such issues.

Isn't that "No tengo AOL?"

LOL ;-) At home, I've been online since the mid-eighties, first with local but
networked BBS's, then CompuServe, then Worldnet and now Comcast ... I gotta get
a life sigh

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old April 24th 04, 12:58 AM
Gillian Murray

Now, dear Vic,

A big breath and say "does it really matter?".

Gillian,

"escapee" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:19:20 -0400, anne opined:

escapee said
no hablo AOL but most newsreaders have customizable filters or rules

that you
can set up to ignore questionable material or posters. There might be

an
internal help file or forum that deals with such issues.

Isn't that "No tengo AOL?"

LOL ;-) At home, I've been online since the mid-eighties, first with

local but
networked BBS's, then CompuServe, then Worldnet and now Comcast ... I

gotta get
a life sigh

I've been online since the mid-eighties also. Local BBS's, then I think

Genie,
then Prodigy...etc. What does that have to do with hablo (I speak) or

tengo (I
have)?

Old April 25th 04, 02:41 AM
anne

escapee said
I've been online since the mid-eighties also. Local BBS's, then I think Genie,
then Prodigy...etc. What does that have to do with hablo (I speak) or tengo (I
have)?

Oblique way of saying that I've never used/had AOL

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old April 25th 04, 02:05 PM
Caryn

I've been online since the mid-eighties also. Local BBS's, then I think
Genie,
then Prodigy...etc. What does that have to do with hablo (I speak) or

tengo (I
have)?

Oblique way of saying that I've never used/had AOL

That doesn't necessarily follow. lol

I started with local BBS's and then got Prodigy, then dialup to local
university where I was able to read Usenet Groups. Then in 1996 DH got a job
for AOL, it was free to us, back when AOL still charged by the hour, I could be
on it all day for free. Sorta just stuck with it after that, even tho I don't
need it to use the internet.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)

Pre-AD and Quick Story: Who's got the Button? lgreene Polymer Clay 0 August 7th 04 11:17 AM
Button, button Marisa Cappetta Beads 25 February 21st 04 05:51 AM
I have made a silver button Shirley Shone Beads 3 January 26th 04 11:38 PM
Christmas Button Covers Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 December 17th 03 10:25 AM
Christmas Button Covers Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 December 17th 03 10:25 AM