Ebay: Customized pet magnets!

Old December 13th 03, 08:37 PM
AlleyCatStudio1

Default Ebay: Customized pet magnets!

Greetings, I'm an artist who usually does 2d, with occasional forays into 3D.
I first discovered Cernit years ago, and recently got back into this after I
discovered SuperElasticlay moldmaking compound! I like the surface look you
can get when you press different colors into the mold. Here's my Ebay listing
(I'll probably add dogs later on...):

I've also found that the Granitex and metallic colors work well when trying to
simulate fur and color in animal figurines. They also have a nice stone-like
texture.

Small question: what's the best way to create a mold of larger objects so as
to minimize distortion? First make an original out of Sculpey and bake it. I
tried putting the mold in the freezer so it would stiffen the Elasticlay, but
it still distorted a bit as I pulled the original out. Another time I tried
baking the mold with the original still inside. The mold came out nice, but
the original was damaged. I've heard people mention Armor-All... is that
superior to talcum powder?

Old December 14th 03, 04:28 PM
dawn

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm go to this link and check out
the information there. There are mold materials out there that you can put
in the oven and bake the clay while it is in the mold. Then you won't have
to deal with the distortion. You could also bake a short time to harden it
enough to pull it out without breaking and then after making a few you could
then bake them all at once and cut down on the time each piece would be
occupying the mold.
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/caketoppers.html

Old December 15th 03, 05:49 PM
DianeGlassAttic

Hi,

ArmorAll is great as a release medium IF you don't plan to use a sealer or
powder afterwards ... it really releases everything g.

There's loads of info on making molds from polymer, and silicone putties, and
other things (for use with polymer) on this page of my website, if you haven't
already seen it:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm

HTH,

Diane B.
http://glassattic.com --polymer clay "encyclopedia"
. . . . . . . . . . . . . (don't use AOL address
!!!!!!!)