My turn to look for fabric

Old June 2nd 13, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Default My turn to look for fabric

Jennifer in Ottawa wrote:
I just did a yahoo.au search for fabric shops in Australia and came up with hundreds of locales - perhaps one of those owners could put you in the right direction to find a source in your own country? Don't forget eBay or etsy stores also with Australian sites. Jennifer in Ottawa

Yep, I've googled till I'm blue in the face, but no luck so far. Our one
local fabric shop (Spotlight) is about as useful as pockets in a singlet
in terms of 'getting things in'. I will prevail, however. I'll just have
to find a garment and unpick it.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old June 2nd 13, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Shheesh! 'Pockets in a singlet' reminds me of the time I told the joke
about the piñata and the bungee jump. That tale shot straight over the
shoulder of our Pat on the Green. What on earth, or at least Australia is a
pocket in a singlet? Begin with what is a singlet. Polly

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
eb.com...

Old June 2nd 13, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

A vest? (sleeveless under-top, in case I got that name wrong)
A runner's top might also be called a singlet, afaik.

Hanne in DK

Old June 2nd 13, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Polly Esther wrote:
Shheesh! 'Pockets in a singlet' reminds me of the time I told the joke
about the piñata and the bungee jump. That tale shot straight over the
shoulder of our Pat on the Green. What on earth, or at least Australia
is a pocket in a singlet? Begin with what is a singlet. Polly

ROTFL!!!

A singlet is indeed an undershirt made from light ribbed cotton knit.
It's sleeveless with a scooped neck in most cases. Variants on the theme
include the tiny ones that every Australian baby wears for the first
year or so of life to the navy blue ones worn characteristically by
plumbers, bricklayers and garbage collectors. In fact, a very nice gift
for a new baby might be half a dozen tiny singlets embroidered nicely
with grub roses or cross-stitched motifs.

The closest pic I could find is this one from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bonds-Bab...-/140844239765

Owing to the 'underneath' nature of singlets, pockets in such a garment
would be signally useless. Hence the term 'as useful as pockets in a
singlet'

I should add that 'a singlet top' is quite different from 'a singlet'.
Singlet tops are simply tops with narrow or rouleau straps.

HTH, ;D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old June 2nd 13, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Thanks for explainng. I sorta almost already knew what you were talking
about, though.
Barbara in SC

Old June 2nd 13, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Oh what a language!! - In the UK a vest is underwear worn on the top
half of the body and pants are underwear worn on the bottom half ( i.e.
knickers/undershorts/panties). In the US they are a waistcoat and
trousers. Could be embarrassing! A Singlet is a style of UK vest,
sleeveless with a scooped neck, originally white and only on show when a
labourer took his shirt off because he was hot. Now made in all colours
and worn as outer wear by runners and when its hot (if it ever is!).

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old June 2nd 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Pat on the Green wrote:
In article om,
says...

ROTFL!!!
snipped

I simply cannot resist the urge to say that a pocket would be
'singularly' useless as well g

Owing to the 'underneath' nature of singlets, pockets in such a garment
would be signally useless. Hence the term 'as useful as pockets in a
singlet'

HTH, ;D

I so agree with Sally and our 'un-common' languages. You can perhaps
imagine the trouble I got into when I first started teaching in Canada
.... (N.American language!). Double meanings were my total downfall...

Pat on the Green (and I remember the pinata/bungee joke debacle; but
now I can't remember what the pinata is any more g Sorry Polly.)

My very-most favourite is the muslin/calico debate.

Then there's (dare I type it?)
f- (I can't!)
fa- (what would Mum think?)
fa- (Dad would *hit* me!)
fanny.
There, I've said it.
(Looking around to see if the walls are gonna fall in).

In Australia, that word is so rude, most nice people wouldn't utter it.
There's about six inches difference in the part of the human female
anatomy to which it refers, but that difference is an enormous one! LOL!

I've seen a wonderful doco by Melvyn Bragg: it discusses the origins of
the English language and then goes on to trace many of the additions
which have enriched it over the centuries. For example, the arrival of
the Angles and Saxons, the influence of the Nordic peoples and the
Norman Conquest. Then, he examines additions from the Empire and, later,
the Commonwealth. It's a fascinating programme, so do watch it if you
ever get the chance.

On the subject of language variations, does anyone remember the
excellent comic series about Asterix the Gaul? I first met them while
studying French in high school about mumblemumble years ago. I remember
rolling around laughing helplessly at the clever names and language puns
(in French). Years later, I began to collect the books in English. They
were almost as funny, yet the names were different as well as the puns
and situations in the stories. This has always amazed me, since some of
the humour simply doesn't translate (eg. Assurancetourix/Cacophonix, the
bard; Abraracourcix/Vitalstatistix, the chief; Panoramix/Getafix, the
druid etc etc). I assume the stories are just as funny in other
languages, although adjustments must have to be made in the translations.

Sorry to rave on and on. It's just one of those things dear to my
heart...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old June 2nd 13, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Sally Swindells wrote:
Oh what a language!! - In the UK a vest is underwear worn on the top
half of the body and pants are underwear worn on the bottom half ( i.e.
knickers/undershorts/panties). In the US they are a waistcoat and
trousers. Could be embarrassing! A Singlet is a style of UK vest,
sleeveless with a scooped neck, originally white and only on show when a
labourer took his shirt off because he was hot. Now made in all colours
and worn as outer wear by runners and when its hot (if it ever is!).

Spare a thought for us! We're caught halfway between. Sometimes a vest
is under, sometimes outer. Sometimes pants are under, sometimes outer.
'Underpants' almost exclusively belong to men, while women wear 'pants'
or 'knickers'. Everyone wears 'undies'. Singlets are quite popularly
worn outside over here because, obviously, it gets very hot very often.
The only time I'm aware of people wearing waistcoat/vests is to
weddings. Of course, we have regional variations too, so that might
differ in other parts of the country.

Loving this discussion!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old June 3rd 13, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Trish, I hope you've read Harry Potter. Some of the language plays are
flagrant; some just a little subtle. I knew I was going to have a very good
time when first was mentioned Diagon Alley. ( Aly? Ally? I get confused.
Have two young friends by that name and they are very offended if theirs is
spelled wrong.) Polly

My turn thistletoes Needlework 3 July 26th 07 10:16 PM
my turn to ask for help Stephanie Beads 0 October 7th 04 12:41 AM
My turn! LC aka Fiddy Beads 4 July 6th 04 07:29 PM
Turn $5 into $15,000 or more!!! James Carving 0 January 1st 04 08:53 PM
Turn $5 into $15,000 or more!!! James Beads 0 January 1st 04 05:49 PM