Another technique of knitting

Old August 11th 03, 07:06 PM
AGRES

Default Another technique of knitting

Yesterday, I attended Emma Popek's party celebrating the release of her
latest book, and Emma had suggested that I bring my knitting. It was a very
cosmopolitan group.

The woman sitting next to me leaned to knit in Bombay more than 50 years
ago. She showed me a knitting technique that I had never seen or heard
about. She held her right needle with her thumb and forefinger, and passed
the yarn over the second finger of the right hand. The extra length of the
second finger means that the right hand does not move as far as with a
knitting style where the yarn is passed over the index finger, i.e. the yarn
is looped over the needle with a flick of the second finger and minimal
motion of the entire hand. She knitted as fast as any of the continental
style knitters at the party, and had better purl stitches than anybody
holding the yarn in their left hand.

She did truly beautiful work, but she no longer knits because her children
like "store bought" better.

Aaron

Old August 12th 03, 08:13 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

looks a bit like French style kniting i do !!!
i have to try it to see if it matches !!!!
mirjam

Old August 13th 03, 08:42 AM
Laurie

It sounds like how I knit too only I hold everything in the opposite
hands. I hold the yarn wrapped around my finger in my left hand and
kind of push and lift with my middle finger to catch it with the
needle. I purl kind of like that too. Yarn wrapped around my second
finger and a little push with my middle finger. I move them very
little.

I didn't think anything of it until I was getting some help in a knit
and stitch group and the teacher asked to see me knit (to make sure I
was doing it right) and she kept saying "wait, slow down I can't see
it." I thought I was going slow but because I wasn't wrapping the
yarn I was just bending my finger a little I guess it was harder for
her to tell what the heck I was doing.

She also mentioned this last night at another knit and stitch group.
She said my technique was from learning to crochet first. But she
said it very pointedly like my technique was unusual.

I like the idea that I knit exotically rather than just an adaption of
crochet tho. ;-)

Laurie
Washougal, WA
Old August 14th 03, 07:49 PM
AGRES

My theory is: That different climates require different types of knit
garments and that the different knitting styles developed to facilitate
knitting the fabric that was best for the local climates.

In continental Europe and northern areas such as Iceland and the Faeroes,
garments had to protect against fairly intense cold. They needed a flat,
thick but not particularly dense fabric that minimized air movement under
any outer garments that were worn over the knit fabrics. Here decoration is
through color, and additional yarns run behind the fabric to make it warmer.
(think Icelandic and Austrian ski sweaters). Thus, knitting styles were
optimized to a flat fabric, i.e., Continental Knitting Styles

In maritime climates, there is more of a problem getting rid of water vapor
that accumulates under the waterproofs that are worn over the sweaters as
protection from rain and sea spray. The knit fabric had to be very dense to
wick moisture out, but it did not have to be very thick. (Ireland is not as
cold as Iceland, but is more humid.) Then the fabric needs to support the
outer waterproof garments away from the body of the knit fabric so that
ventilation can carry moisture out from under the waterproofs before the
water can condense. In these areas, 3-dimensional decorative styles
developed which facilitated ventilation under the waterproofs. (think Aran
and Gansey sweaters) In these areas, knitting styles (left hand, left index
finger, left second finger) developed which facilitated tight alternation of
k/p stitches producing a fabric that was thinner and denser than the
continental fabrics, but has a significant 3-dimensional structure allowing
ventilation.

My conclusion is: The best knitting style depends on what kind of fabric
you intend to knit. And, the choice of fabric depends on its intended use.

Comments?

Aaron

om...

Old August 14th 03, 10:16 PM
Katherine Burgess

Els,
I had read that about being able to identify sailors by the patterns in
their sweaters. It makes sense to me, since many people in those days could
not read or write, and so would not carry identification.
Katherine

Old August 15th 03, 07:31 AM
Ophelia

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article aRQ_a.105974$Oz4.24320@rwcrnsc54, "AGRES"
wrote:

My conclusion is: The best knitting style depends on what kind of

fabric
you intend to knit. And, the choice of fabric depends on its intended

use.

Comments?

Aaron

Aaron I have a little book on Dutch fishermans knitted sweaters......it
states that each little village and inlet, had it's own pattern,

This was true also of Scottish fishermen. It was said that in a case of
drowning the body could be identified by the pattern