repairing deep scratch in polymer beads?

Old December 11th 03, 04:12 AM
bluemaxx

Default repairing deep scratch in polymer beads?

Hi, newbie here. I don't make polymer beads - just buy them.
I have a problem I'm hoping others in there can help me with. I've
checked the Glass Attic site, but they only have a section for
repairing beads broken in half, not scratches.

My problem... I packed a polymer bracelet in an envelope, not
knowing there was a staple in the side of the envelope that
scratched the beads as I pushed it down. Now there are scratches on
2 polymer beads - one is pretty much on just the surface and it
looks to only affect the Future (?) sealant/polish on the surface,
so I believe I can sand that down and re-dip it into some Future.

But the other bead's scratch goes into the polymer itself. Can I
use jeweler's glue to seal the scratch and then re-dip the bead into
Future? And if the original sealant the artist used on the polymer
isn't Future Floor Polish, do you think there'll be a problem with
my using Future to add more coats of polish to seal the scratches?

Thanks so much for any and all help! This was a commissioned
Christmas bracelet and I'll hate to disappoint the lovely woman who
bought the bracelet.

Linda

---

Old December 12th 03, 04:23 PM
DianeGlassAttic

Hi Llinda,

Glass Attic here g . . . you might want to look on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/heads_masks.htm
Under the sub-section called Cracking, there's a sub-sub-category called Fixing
Cracks Later which has some good ideas.

As for the covering with Future, I don't really know but I'd suspect if
something polymer friendly had been used to seal it in the first place, a
Future coat wouldn't be a problem (then rebake for even better finish?). Don't
take my word for it though . . . anyone else know?

Diane B.
http://glassattic.com --polymer clay "encyclopedia"
. . . . . . . . . . . . . (don't use AOL address
!!!!!!!)
Old December 14th 03, 12:41 AM
bluemaxx

Thank you very much, Diane. I appreciate the time you took to
post. Keep your fingers crossed that I can fix the beads in time
for her to wear them this Christmas! lol

Thanks again!
Linda

"DianeGlassAttic" wrote in message
: Hi Llinda,
:
: Glass Attic here g . . . you might want to look on this page:
: http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/heads_masks.htm
: Under the sub-section called Cracking, there's a sub-sub-category
called Fixing
: Cracks Later which has some good ideas.
:
: As for the covering with Future, I don't really know but I'd
suspect if
: something polymer friendly had been used to seal it in the first
place, a
: Future coat wouldn't be a problem (then rebake for even better
finish?). Don't
: take my word for it though . . . anyone else know?
:
: Diane B.
: http://glassattic.com --polymer clay "encyclopedia"
: . . . . . . . . . . . . . (don't use AOL
address

---