Elastic insert on jeans

Old January 9th 04, 06:11 PM
SML

Default Elastic insert on jeans

Has anyone slit down a jean's waistband and inserted an elastic panel to
enlarge the waist? It ends up as a v-shaped insert and makes the waist more
comfortable. I've seen the finished product but don't know how to make it
look good.

Old January 10th 04, 02:41 AM
nana2b

The only time I ever saw this was on a pair of jeans that Charleton Heston
was wearing. We were flying to LA and he got up to use the restroom.
Imagine Moses wearing jeans?

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old January 10th 04, 04:11 AM
SML

That must have been an interesting sight! I think I figured it out. I just
cut down about 2.5" (on each side of zipper), spread the waistband slightly
and placed the square of heavy duty elastic underneath. Then I zigzagged
down, turned and zigzagged back up. There might be a better way but this
worked for now (and is much more comfortable!).

Old January 10th 04, 04:22 AM
Penny S

SML scribbled on a scrap of paper:
That must have been an interesting sight! I think I figured it out.
I just cut down about 2.5" (on each side of zipper), spread the
waistband slightly and placed the square of heavy duty elastic
underneath. Then I zigzagged down, turned and zigzagged back up.
There might be a better way but this worked for now (and is much more
comfortable!).

the new Clothilde catalog sells pre made inserts.

Old January 10th 04, 02:41 PM
SewStorm

The only time I ever saw this was on a pair of jeans that Charleton Heston
was wearing. We were flying to LA and he got up to use the restroom.
Imagine Moses wearing jeans?

Reminds me of the time when I was in high school, and attending a Little League
baseball game with my girlfriend. Joe Nuxhall (the former Cincinnati Reds
great, and now longtime announcer for the Reds) was sitting directly in front
of me, watching one of his kids, presumably. He was leaning forward and his
shorts were showing--red and green mini-plaid! My own father (who had gone to
high school with Nuxhall, and revered him as a player) and brothers only wore
tighty whities, so this was a double shock to me!
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 10th 04, 06:13 PM
Olwynmary

Has anyone slit down a jean's waistband and inserted an elastic panel to
enlarge the waist? It ends up as a v-shaped insert and makes the waist more
comfortable. I've seen the finished product but don't know how to make it look
good.

It seems to me I saw an article about this in Threads a few years ago. IIRC,
there were elastic inserts in both side seams.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 10th 04, 09:09 PM
Meg Street

Wouldn't this be really ugly? Or do you only wear shirts that cover up the
elastic?
I made a pair of regular jeans into maternity jeans once, that's pretty easy.
meg

Old January 10th 04, 11:38 PM

Elastic insert on jeans

(Meg=A0Street)
Wouldn't this be really ugly? Or do you only wear shirts that cover up
the elastic?
I made a pair of regular jeans into maternity jeans once, that's pretty
easy. meg
,,,
Well there are a couple of other ways to insert elastic, depending
upon where the weight gain is located. I've never thought of splitting
the pant on either side of the zipper, because denim frays so badly, and
you'd lose a bit more width trying to correct or prevent the fraying.
You can cut the side waistband, and open the pants side seams, then
insert the elastic on both sides, which can give quite a bit of stretch.
I have altered ski pants in this manner, sometimes making the elastic
wider by first sewing two lengths of 2 or 3 inch wide elastic
together---butt them against each other, then zig-zag them, it makes a
nice deep 4 to 6 inch insertion piece.
The other less obvious place to add is on the back seam--remove the
belt carrier, separate the waistband from the jeans (5 or 6 inches),
then cut through the waistband (slash the band only).
Open the center back seam by removing the stitching down to where
the elastic insertion will stop. Like side seam insertions, the seam
allowances are then lapped over the elastic insertion. The bottom seam
allowance must be snipped, then turned to the inside. Use the standard
double-stitched seam and topstitch the elastic in place, matching the
original thread.
Walla! A neat insertion, and no one really notices unless it is
pointed out. (If they're looking that minutely, they'd better be close
friends.) HTH.
Cea
---

Old January 11th 04, 05:07 PM
SML

Thank you Cea. Your suggestions were very helpful and I will try them on
the next pair of jeans I need to expand.

Old January 12th 04, 12:04 AM
velma929

Ive let jeans out in the center back, too. Quite often there's enough
in the flat-felled seam for a let-out, and I just duplicate the
topstitching. One other thing makes it a tiny bit easier: I open up
the waistband flat, and cut it on the diagonal. Then I add a
diagonally cut piece to lengthen the waistband. The seams in the
waistband are staggered. I find it easier to sew over the multiple
layers this way, since the waistband seams don't all line up, one atop
the other. (Can you tell I've done this more than a few times? All
you out there chuckling...just wait till you hit middle-age!)