where to start????

Old March 4th 04, 06:06 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
(Debbie Williamson) wrote:

Hi my name is Debbie and I'm new here and to quilting. Can anyone tell
me the best place to start quilting. It is all new to me. I have many
books and want to learn. But all the cutting and fitting has me worried.
I really would like to machine piece and hand quilt. Does this sound
like it would work. I need all the help and tips I can get
Thank you Debbie
Cochranville Pa.

Machine piecing and hand quilting -- that's exactly how I started out,
Debbie! I still do much of the same, too, though I've also branched
out into machine quilting for some projects. I find the machine piecing
quick and fun, and the hand quilting relaxing and refreshing. Don't
worry about the cutting and fitting -- if you're moderately careful,
things will turn out as your instructions say they will. Maybe you
should start with something fairly simple -- perhaps a rail fence? -- so
as to work out any kinks. It's really easy to see if your seam allowance
is accurate on that sort of block, and you'll get quick results with the
accompanying feeling of accomplishment. Keep us posted!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old March 4th 04, 06:37 PM
Natalie

Wow. thanks Carolyn! Thanks IMS!

NS

Carolyn McCarty wrote:

Welcome, Debbie!

Natalie is right, IMNSHO. By picking out a small, simple project with clear
instructions, and by measuring and cutting as carefully as you can, you'll
do just fine. I've done two quilts that I machine-pieced and then
hand-quilted. It's a good way to go, as the most relaxing part of the
project is the hand quilting.

We're all looking forward to hearing more about your quilting, your stash,
and what kind of chocolate you enjoy.

Old March 4th 04, 09:34 PM
MJ

Take classes from your local quilt store --- or sometimes they are
offered through a city recreation department or community college.

Join a guild.

Watch Simply Quilts on HGTV or DIY.

Midge

Julia Altshuler wrote in message news:guF1c.456058$I06.5151391@attbi_s01...
Debbie Williamson wrote:
Hi my name is Debbie and I'm new here and to quilting. Can anyone tell
me the best place to start quilting. It is all new to me. I have many
books and want to learn. But all the cutting and fitting has me worried.
I really would like to machine piece and hand quilt. Does this sound
like it would work. I need all the help and tips I can get.

How do you best learn anything new? Do you learn well from books? Are
you better with an instructor? Do you find videos helpful? Everyone's
answer will be different. Take what worked in the past and do it again.
Me, I took beginner quilt classes at a privately owned local quilt
store (LQS) and was highly satisfied with the advice and instruction.

Machine piecing and hand quilting is a common combination that many do.
That will work.

If you've tried cutting and are having a specific problem, describe what
you're doing and what's going wrong. We'll try to help. If the problem
is that you're just worried, the best advice is to dive in and try.

--Lia

Old March 5th 04, 03:27 PM
Eli

My first quilt was a baby quilt in the log cabin design. The dark colors
were solid rainbow colors, the light fabric all whites. Log cabin and rail
fence are nice beginning patterns because as long as you use consistent seam
allowance size, it doesn't have to be a perfect 1/4". A baby quilt was a
nice size because it was "doable".

"Quilt in a day" books are good for beginners. For a reference book, Fons
and Porter's Quilter's Complete Guide is good (my binding is worn out and I
need to purchase a new copy. I use this for EVERY quilt I make in some way
or another it seems).

Good luck. Post questions often here.

Gina in IL

Old March 5th 04, 04:03 PM
Julia in MN

Eli wrote:
For a reference book, Fons
and Porter's Quilter's Complete Guide is good (my binding is worn out and I
need to purchase a new copy.

You don't need to buy a new copy just because the binding is worn out.
Take it to Kinko's or OfficeMax or someplace like that and have them put
a spiral binding on it. Or just punch it for a 3 ring binder. I had the
spiral binding put on mine soon after I bought it, because it opens flat
and is easier to use. I have also done this with some paperbound
cookbooks that I use a lot.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old March 7th 04, 06:06 AM
Lynn Tocker

Hi Debbie :-)
If at all possible, don't use the very puffy batting in your first quilt, as
it has a tendency to wriggle around a lot when basting. The thinner batting
behaves in a much more user-friendly way and is more manageable as you have
less bulk to contend with.
Piecing by machine, especially if you start with cutting long strips and
stitching them together, then cut into rectangles/squares etc can be really
enjoyable, as the seams are consistent and results are relatively fast.
Bestest, Lynn

Old March 9th 04, 08:03 PM
Dr. Quilter

hand piecing and hand quilting your first project sounds like a great
idea. do a small project, wall hanging or pillow... and don't worry, if
you have lots of books choose one whose instructions look reasonably
complete and go for it. worse that can happen is you give your first
project to a pet... though I would keep it, then you can measure your
progress in the next weeks, months and years! or you could take a one
day beginners class if you have any quilt shops around (or fabric stores
that provide them are also an alternative) and some money to spare... it
makes for a good start, though I did it from books too.

Debbie Williamson wrote:

Hi my name is Debbie and I'm new here and to quilting. Can anyone tell
me the best place to start quilting. It is all new to me. I have many
books and want to learn. But all the cutting and fitting has me worried.
I really would like to machine piece and hand quilt. Does this sound
like it would work. I need all the help and tips I can get
Thank you Debbie
Cochranville Pa.

--
Dr. Quilter