dvd recorders

Old December 19th 03, 10:06 PM
Diane Ketchum

Default dvd recorders

Neither of the recorders was on PCWorld. If you go to Samsclub.com and
do a search on dvd recorders it will find two, a Magnavox and an RCA. I
just wanted an opinion on which one sounds better or if they both sound
good. Of course this close to Christmas there may be none left.
--
Diane/GA

The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us will go to the stars.

Old December 20th 03, 08:04 PM
Ellice

On 12/19/03 9:58 PM,"animaux" posted:

Personally, we are waiting. My husband and I are audiophiles and buy a new
system about every 5 years. We just recently bought a Yamaha receiver with
DTS
and THX surround sound, Klipsch speakers with an Infinity subwoofer...etc.

I can't believe you actually buy a whole new system that frequently. We've
(2 engineers - need excellent stereo stuff) had the current set of Infinity
towers and surround stuff for about 8 years. Funnily enough - we each had
the same Yamaha CD changer - or close enough - bought before we met. DH had
the top of the line, mine is one model down, but the shop gave me the remote
for the TOL, and the only difference between the two - the controls on the
face-plate. So, with the remote, mine is identical. Talk about overkill.
This past year we got nice speakers for outdoors - a set to hang, and a set
of expensive "boulders" . However, the big Yamaha receiver has suddenly gone
kaput on the FM tuner side. Very strange. Hoping to just repair it -
otherwise, well - another several hundred dollars on a new one.

I've been watching the DVD-R's closely and it seems the price is coming down
very rapidly. When that happens with a new technology, it means there's a
secondary technology they have, but want to bleed the current technology.

We are waiting.

The other part of what it means is that the production costs of the chips is
dropping. We're waiting a bit as well.

The other thing we're doing after all is said and done and all three of our
VCR's drop dead is to buy a digital recorder. I am so sick of needing to buy
another VCR every year. We have three. One plays all tapes, the other plays
only tapes made with that machine, the other makes so much noise you can't
hear
the tape!

Ouch. We're down to 2 - I gave a friend one of ours. But, we've not had any
problems with our 2 Sony's (again - we had similar models - bought
separately). But, when one goes, that's it - buy then we'll do the DVD-R. At
least we've been happy with the DVD player we bought 2 years ago - or is it
3? It's a Phillips, got a good deal at Costco, and it's doing well.

So, if you don't need to buy one now, wait.

Good advice. In general, with most electronic devices it's good to wait for
the 2nd generation, or at least until you're confident the bugs and price
from the Beta versions (final test) are completely out of the production
items. The other thing to remember with solid state electronics - they live
or die on what is called a "Bathtub Curve" - because the shape of it looks
like a Bathtub profile. Meaning they are either going to die very early - or
not for a very long time. That's why extended warranties that only give you
a year or two are just a money maker for the warranty company. Most things
either will die early (in the warranty period) if there's a problem - or
they'll live a long life. Just a thought - y'know - that statistics
background.

ellice

Old December 21st 03, 05:55 PM
Meredith

My boyfriend studied tv and video production in college and says that
the more recent vcrs, etc., are built to die more quickly than they used
to be. His favorite vcr is a top-of-the-line 1992 model that his
parents bought. More features, fewer problems. For what it's worth,
the repair technician agreed with him when the thing finally broke down
this fall.

Meredith

animaux wrote:
Sony is not what it used to be.

Old December 21st 03, 06:38 PM
Cheryl Isaak

We have an ancient VCR - 80's vintage. Still going strong!
Cheryl
On 12/21/03 12:55 PM, in article ,
"Meredith" wrote:

My boyfriend studied tv and video production in college and says that
the more recent vcrs, etc., are built to die more quickly than they used
to be. His favorite vcr is a top-of-the-line 1992 model that his
parents bought. More features, fewer problems. For what it's worth,
the repair technician agreed with him when the thing finally broke down
this fall.

Meredith

animaux wrote:
Sony is not what it used to be.

Old December 21st 03, 08:52 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

We have an ancient VCR - 80's vintage. Still going strong!

I finally had to dispose of my 1987 wedding gift VCR -- wouldn't load tapes any
more. The new one's idea of "one touch recording" requires grabbing the
remote, flipping the A/B switch and changing the channel to program on-screen.
Bah! Now I wish I'd spent a little more time trying to fix the old one.

But (knock wood) my 1980 microwave is still working. Mom's is even older, so
we're in competition to see who can keep theirs going longest. Get rid of it
just to get the option of ten temperature settings? Are you nuts?! I'm going
for a record here. And when it expires (or I do), it goes back to GE for their
museum.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 22nd 03, 01:26 AM
Jenn Liace

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:38:34 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I've found everything from Jimi Hendrix, Louis Armstrong, to Led Zep and back.
Every manner of everything. I believe we use WinMix. Mark is the one who does
all that stuff.

I also use WinMx and there's been very little I've been unable to find
yet. Sometimes there's a long queue to get it, but they've virtually
all been there somewhere.

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Let it Snow (Of Female Worth - JCS 2002)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old December 22nd 03, 01:50 AM
Momjws1

And when it expires (or I do), it goes back to GE for their
museum.

My GE will too. It's been going and going since 1978!

Jane in WV
Old December 22nd 03, 04:36 AM
Ellice

On 12/21/03 11:25 AM,"animaux" posted:

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:03:10 -0400, opined:

Guess we were lucky but I do know a couple of other people with Akai
components who are still happy like me.

Sheena

I still have my Fisher tuner I bought in the 70s. It's in one of the guest
rooms. Back then, Fisher was top of the line. I also still have a turntable
with approximately 200 vinyl albums. Of course we have them all on CD now,
mostly by downloading from the Internet. We didn't feel like we were stealing
since we owned all the albums already. Apparently a court agrees!

LOL - back then - well, in the late 69's-early 70s - my dad was at Fischer.
We had awesome stereo equipment in the house - always had the top of the
line stuff - and I still have the Harmon Kardon speakers somewhere - for the
cabinets - the cones need replacing. Ummm, I should say - dad was in the
"hi-fi" business for many years - before I was born, and thru most of my
childhood. We had an Akai reel-reel that worked great, eventually replaced
by a Nakamichi deck. Lots of classic, great old stereo equipment.

Ah, when my dad went to work for them - he actually interviewed with "the
old man" - they wanted someone to head up a new division, build a new
manufacturing plant in Miami - which dad did. I used to go work on the line
- clipping transisters - on my days off from school - when I was in about
7th, 8th grade. That, and he liked for me to hear what was going on - as my
Spanish was much better than his - and there were a lot of Spanish speakers
working in the plant. That said - I give him credit - he had many women as
supervisors - unusual in those days.

Ellice