Enabling, Jacobean Style - For Dianne

Old December 18th 03, 08:10 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I've known Tanja at Berlin Embroidery for quite awhile. Your aunt is in
good hands with her. Her kits are "rated". If you're unsure about
"level required", you or your aunt email her and ask. She is an
excellent designer as well as fiber artist.

Let me know which one of her kits you end up with. grin
Dianne

Old December 18th 03, 08:25 PM
Ellice

On 12/18/03 2:49 PM,"Lucille" posted:

You enabler you.

The items on the Berlin web site are gorgeous, particularly the dragonfly.
Did you absolutely have to post it. Are you just trying to make sure
everyone spends all their money so they can help the economy?

Think of it as inspiring self-Chanukah gifts ;^) Sharing the wealth?
Actually, I was so pleasantly surprised at how positive my generally
anti-Crewel reaction was that I had to share. The kits just looked so nice.
And her needlepainting is amazing.

I'm definitely going to go back later for a better look and I expect I'm
going to have to give in and buy myself a gift.

Yup, know that feeling.

ellice

Old December 18th 03, 08:30 PM
Ellice

On 12/18/03 3:04 PM,"seaspray" seaside stitcher @ yahoo. com posted:

Hi,
I was surfing through the site and fell in love with the Etui Boxes. They
are so cool. What a neat idea. I had never seen those before. Now, do you
think that I can sneak one more piece of stash in before January?

We had some in different shapes in the LNS the last couple of years. Covered
in different fabrics - I forget who made them. These looked really nice.
Something I was reading recently had directions for making an Etui - but
honeslty, I'd rather buy one of the kits from this site, and then put on my
own fabric. They're very handy to have. And, they look so nice - you can
just close'em up with your little tools inside, and be all neat - even in
the living room ;^)

I even gave the mean SIL one 2 years ago for her main XMAS present. And a
Drawn Thread "rose" sampler - with full skeins of silk. That was back when I
was nice. Now.....

Anyhow, there are several designer/teachers that do Etui projects - I think
Merrie Cox, and of course CA Wells, and maybe Rae Iverson all do some. If
you look in the world of Sampler Gatherings, Sampler & Antique Quarterly,
etc - you'll see some offered about. Some of them are just gorgeous - shaped
like little houses, or pyramids, etc. I like these boxes - they're very
useful, and pretty.

Happy to inspire you to sneak in another piece of stash ;^)
ellice

Old December 18th 03, 08:38 PM
Ellice

On 12/18/03 3:10 PM,"FKBABB" posted:

So, do you think that someone with good dexterity - but not experience
doing
this type of stitching could tackle one? BRBR

Sure. Berlin's small kits are meant as introductions to a technique. And,
they are better than many into kits I've seen on the market -- more
sophisticated design, a generous supply of first quality materials, plus those
detailed instructions. Many kits marketed as "easy" aren't because in an
effort to make the task seem simple, instructions are too brief.

Thanks for the information. I'm always hesitant about overwhelming someone -
but don't want to bore them either.

Or do you think my suggestion to
try a slightly more basic piece - say on other than silk - would be a good
first piece? BRBR

I don't think she'd find the silk a problem. The backing provides a nice,
stiff surface on which to work, so the slitheriness that makes sewing silk
garments a pain isn't an issue here. This was my first experience of
embroidery on silk, and though I found that the needle didn't glide through
the
fabric as easily as it does on unbacked wool, linen, or cotton, I doubt your
surgeon aunt, with experience making complicated stitches on human organs
would
have a problem with that -- or the metallic threads, either.

LOL - you don't know my aunt. But she retired several years ago and has been
doing nothing but some insurance consulting, and quilting since.

About a year ago I managed to slash a finger so badly that it required six
stitches to repair. I had a fascinating conversation with the resident who
put
them in. He said so far he'd only perfected six different stitches, but was
eager to learn many more -- there are over 1,000 in use today. Hmm, so come

Poor finger! When I was having my tendon reconstruction surgery done about
10 years ago - I was awake (8 hr surgery) with a spinal. Anyhow, suddenly I
see my doc walk away - and the resident is playing down there. The
anesthesiologist told me to ask him what was going on. The resident lifted
the leg up higher - so I could see, I guess - and my doc said "I'm letting
him close - he embroiders better than me. I'm just a good with the saw and
power tools".

think of it, even that complicated Drawn Thread Sampler could be well within
the range of your aunt's existing skills. And, maybe after she does that one,
she could design her own sampler using stitches from her surgical repertoire.

I don't know. She did her quilting with surgical needles for about 20 years.
This is the aunt who just bought the embroidery module for her top of the
line Bernina, and is now doing machine embroidery. So, I was surprised when
she told me she wanted to stitch a sampler. Which then turned into her
finding these modern Jacobean pieces. I guess she just feels her hands
itching a bit - I get that way when I haven't painted, stitched for a while.
That is an interesting idea - about designing her own stitches - but I don't
think she's got enough attention span anymore to do something like that. Who
knows. I think the samplers and Jacobean appeal to her - she has lots of
antiques. Lots.

Thanks again for the insight -
ellice

Old December 18th 03, 08:42 PM
Ellice

On 12/18/03 3:10 PM,"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

I've known Tanja at Berlin Embroidery for quite awhile. Your aunt is in
good hands with her. Her kits are "rated". If you're unsure about
"level required", you or your aunt email her and ask. She is an
excellent designer as well as fiber artist.

Her things look beautiful. I have no doubt of her talent. All the Jacobean
kits are rated "beginner to Advanced" . And looking at them, they have
multiple stitches, with them being on silk - I was thinking this might be a
bit much for a first piece - even with great directions. But, Annie seemed
to think it would be fine - based on her experience with the kits.

Let me know which one of her kits you end up with. grin

Hah - I bet I end up doing a big order for both of us combined - so we get
the discount by spending $150 C. I know that I'll get the Dragonfly for me,
and I'm thinking about the bird of paradise. And I like the vanity case. And
so on. And then there are the nice etuis - the kits are great - cause it's a
pain cutting all that cardboard. And lord knows I have plenty of fabric
stash to cover the box.

We'll see.
ellice

Old December 19th 03, 05:23 AM
Olwynmary

My crazy aunt who quilts, and used to do NP, has decided that she wants to do
embroidery. (snip)

she's talking about Jacobean style embroidery (snip)

The sites were just exquisite, but I would be very doubtful about a beginner
starting out on silk backgrounds, because silk is notorious for showing needle
holes, and thus frogging is almost impossible. Linen, on the other hand, is
more forgiving, and if stitches have to be corrected the weave can be teased
back into shape with the blunt end of the needle. I would also start her out
with something simpler (and cheaper).

By coincidence, I was getting ready to report that I have just today finished a
WIP that I designed last Spring as a teaching piece. The program chairman of
our local guild told (!) me that I was going to teach a class on Jacobean style
embroidery!!!! You know me, everything has to be useful, so I announced we
were going to make a placemat/traycloth, and a prerequisite for the class was a
knowledge of basic embroidery stitches. To avoid any possible copyright
issues, I hit the books and then designed my own pattern. Each member of the
class ordered the number of cloths she wanted, and a kit consisted of a 13" x
19" piece of linen (or 2, or 4) with the outline drawn on it, plus a copy of J
& P Coats "100 Embroidery Stitches" which I find is a useful little booklet to
carry in the needlework tote for ready reference and inspiration. I also told
them to bring a favorite embroidery needle - size 8 is my recommendation - plus
at least half a dozen selected skeins of floss from stash, two of them to be
green.

The first class, I hauled along all my Jacobean books, patterns and reference
material and a bunch of linens and pillows etc. out of my collection, and gave
a talk on the subject, then let them study everything for a while. I
deliberately did not tell them which stitches or colors to use, but told them
"make it your own". IIRC, we did about four classes, but of course I was so
busy helping everyone else I didn't get my own finished. At the end, when we
looked at all the pieces, some finished, some not yet, it was astonishing to
see the differences. One woman did hers almost all in various satin stitches
plus stem stitch and it came out very solid looking. Another did hers in airy
outlines and lightweight filling stitches, and the rest were somewhere in
between. It was amazing, if you didn't know they were all from the same
outline, you had to look hard to see it. I also told them they had their own
choice of hem, they could plain hem, or hemstitch, or any other decorative hem,
they just weren't allowed to serge it!

I just now finished mine, because (a) I was working on the "design/build"
system, and (b) I had to put it all aside while madly knitting for the DGC.

Now I have the first one done, and the winter woollies all shipped off to the
DGC, the second should go much faster, although it may not be identical to the
first one as I get bored with doing the same thing twice so may make some minor
alterations.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old December 19th 03, 03:01 PM
Ellice

On 12/19/03 12:23 AM,"Olwynmary" posted:

My crazy aunt who quilts, and used to do NP, has decided that she wants to do

embroidery. (snip)

she's talking about Jacobean style embroidery (snip)

The sites were just exquisite, but I would be very doubtful about a beginner
starting out on silk backgrounds, because silk is notorious for showing needle
holes, and thus frogging is almost impossible. Linen, on the other hand, is
more forgiving, and if stitches have to be corrected the weave can be teased
back into shape with the blunt end of the needle. I would also start her out
with something simpler (and cheaper).

Thanks for the response. My thinking is in line with yours. I don't doubt
her dexterity - but my fear was that the silk would really show any errors,
and that she'd be inconsistent in her stitchin - as is anyone learning a new
technique - and then she'd be frustrated. I had found on one of the sites
some simpler Jacobean single flowers - with more basic stitches, and thought
that would be good - holding one of the gorgeous silk pieces for the future.
But I was glad that Annie said she'd found the instructions from Tanya
Berlin to be so helpful.

By coincidence, I was getting ready to report that I have just today finished
WIP that I designed last Spring as a teaching piece. The program chairman of

Congratulations !

[...]

That's a pretty hefty kit - how thorough of you. Does save the trouble of
just drawing your own stitch diagrams and limiting the kit to that. I
usually do my diagrams, but also suggest that students bring along a
favorite stitch reference book.

The first class, I hauled along all my Jacobean books, patterns and reference
material and a bunch of linens and pillows etc. out of my collection, and gave
a talk on the subject, then let them study everything for a while. I
deliberately did not tell them which stitches or colors to use, but told them
"make it your own".

Sounds great. Coming to the DC area anytime? I love classes when there is
more learning than just doing the project piece. Great to inspire them to
use some creativity - although there are many out there that need for you to
tell them specifically which stitches where.

IIRC, we did about four classes, but of course I was so
busy helping everyone else I didn't get my own finished. At the end, when we
looked at all the pieces, some finished, some not yet, it was astonishing to
see the differences. One woman did hers almost all in various satin stitches
plus stem stitch and it came out very solid looking. Another did hers in airy
outlines and lightweight filling stitches, and the rest were somewhere in
between. It was amazing, if you didn't know they were all from the same
outline, you had to look hard to see it. I also told them they had their own
choice of hem, they could plain hem, or hemstitch, or any other decorative
hem,
they just weren't allowed to serge it!

Must've been a wonderful experience for all. It's so interesting when you
can see the differences that stitches or threads make in the same piece. You
taskmaster - not letting them serge that beautiful piece of hand work. vbg
It would seem kind of contradictory.

I just now finished mine, because (a) I was working on the "design/build"
system, and (b) I had to put it all aside while madly knitting for the DGC.

Now I have the first one done, and the winter woollies all shipped off to the
DGC, the second should go much faster, although it may not be identical to the
first one as I get bored with doing the same thing twice so may make some
minor
alterations.

Minor alterations seems appropriate - it'll still be a set. Glad you got
your knitting done. I'm way behind - and will be binging with the sewing
machine this weekend (doing faux fur/silk scarves) that have to get out on
Monday. We just end up shipping a big box UPS. Oh, well. No stitching for me
til after the gifties get done.

ellice

Old December 19th 03, 04:17 PM
Hexe

Ellice wrote in message ...
Hi ya guys, I just had to share this site. My crazy aunt who quilts, and
used to do NP, has decided that she wants to do embroidery. As in a counted
thread sampler. Next thing I know, after I've sent her a bunch of links to
look at so I have an idea of what types she likes, she picks the most
difficult Drawn Thread piece. Well, she has good taste - but I told her I'll
kit her up something a little simpler, in the same vein, and send it on.

snipped to post

Ellice

i haven't read the whole thread as i should be cooking dinner '-) i
also love the Jacobean style of embroidery, but living where i do in
Germany, i am limited as to readily available threads. i would
suggest you get your aunt "The Anchor Book of Crewelwork Embroidery
Stitches". this book is written for beginners and has patterns
relevant to each stitch used. (i think these Anchor books are great,
i have several.) the pieces are done with a variety of threads not
just wool on silk.

i'm beginning a tote bag with a sampler square of 4 patterns done as
an (lined) outside pocket.

--
Hexe
http//ikutec.com
Old December 19th 03, 05:00 PM
Ellice

On 12/19/03 11:17 AM,"Hexe" posted:

Ellice wrote in message
Hi ya guys, I just had to share this site. My crazy aunt who quilts, and
used to do NP, has decided that she wants to do embroidery. As in a counted
thread sampler. Next thing I know, after I've sent her a bunch of links to

snipped to post

i haven't read the whole thread as i should be cooking dinner '-) i
also love the Jacobean style of embroidery, but living where i do in
Germany, i am limited as to readily available threads. i would
suggest you get your aunt "The Anchor Book of Crewelwork Embroidery
Stitches". this book is written for beginners and has patterns
relevant to each stitch used. (i think these Anchor books are great,
i have several.) the pieces are done with a variety of threads not
just wool on silk.

Great idea. I think she actually may have some references - one of her
quilts has a lot of hand embroidery on it. But it's just little bits of
stitching, the quilt itself is stunning - all whites and laces - but the
embroidery is simplistic. Anyhow, she said that she got reference books to
do the stitches, so who knows. I'll ask her what books she has.

Just got off the phone with her, and we're (read this me - and maybe I'll
get paid back) putting in a nice order to Tanya Berlin. The Traditional
Jacobean tree - since that's on linen, it'll be a good first piece - the
linen being more forgiving of mis-stitching (new word). And, the Modern
Jacobean "Tree Motif" on Blue. I've agreed to do this as our own little
cyber-class with her. Hoping tha DH will get the Dragonfly for me as a
prezzie. And, now the DA wants the Hapsburg Lace sampler - which is on 18
ct. The funniest part of this, you can get that with or without the canvas,
and can pick a colored canvas instead, do the piece in similar perle cotton.
So I say tell me what color you want to do it in, I'll bring the canvas. My
aunt says - "Oh, can you get the canvas" DUH - this is when you know your
relatives don't pay attention to your life. A - I've been working in a LNS
for 4 years (though now only sporadically) B- I design NP for a business
(said aunt has actually been involved in sewing some of the accessory things
we're doing). Hmmmm-me "what do you think I paint NP on? I only have about
15 rolls of canvas right now" Just, normally I don't sell it except
wholesale, but of course I can do it as a resale when I need to, and collect
the tax.

Then she tells me -hey, I saw this site, Marnie something - she has stitch
samplers on canvas. Me, "Oh, you mean Marnie Ritter?" Her "can you get those
- have you ever seen them" Me "Yes, I do this kind of stuff all the time"
Followed by - "Have you seen Japanese Embroidery?" You can only imagine - I
think my aunt has rekindled a new, growing addiction to doing handwork. Just
makes me kind of laugh.

i'm beginning a tote bag with a sampler square of 4 patterns done as
an (lined) outside pocket.

I bet that will be very nice. It's always great when you can find a way to
showcase your handwork, and use it!

Thanks again,
ellice

Old December 19th 03, 06:38 PM
FKBABB

but I would be very doubtful about a beginner
starting out on silk backgrounds, because silk is notorious for showing needle
holes, and thus frogging is almost impossible. BRBR

I worried about this before I started the Berlin kit. The needle/pin hole
problem is another reason I've always stayed away from garment sewing on shiny
silks. But, it turned out not to be an issue here. I didn't have to frog a
lot, but I did frog some. The original holes were barely noticeable (to my
pleased surprise) and in any case they were covered up by the new stitching.
The kind of silk she provided may have had something to do with this. It
wasn't a smooth, scarf weight silk, but something somewhat heavier, with lots
of slubs in it. (Sorry, I never can remember the names of the various silk
weaves, except for charmuse and tweed.)

The program chairman of
our local guild told (!) me that I was going to teach a class on Jacobean style
embroidery!!!! BRBR

Your program chairman is a genius. That sounds like a *wonderful* class.

Annie