Question about fabric and wood

Old December 17th 03, 09:17 PM
Joan Erickson

Darla wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:24:55 -0600, Joan Erickson
wrote:

fabric laying (lying? I can
never remember which is correct!)

Lay (present tense) is to place something. "Lay that book on the
table." Lie (present tense) is repose. "Lie there on the bed." To
further confuse matters, the simple past tense of "lie" is "lay." The
simple past tense of "lay" is "laid" (no, not "layed").

So, I am laying the fabric in the drawer and it then lies there. Then
I guess my original sentence, which was: "is it okay to have the fabric
laying on the varnished wood?" was incorrect and it should have been:
"is it okay to have the fabric lying on the varnished wood?" Right?

And if you're not going to seal the wood with a polyurethane or
something, I'd definitely put something between the wood and my
fabric.

Oh, it *is* going to be stained and sealed for sure. I definitely
wouldn't leave the wood bare! I will have more info tomorrow, after
I see what kind of stain and sealer I picked out!
Thanks, Darla!
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old December 17th 03, 10:42 PM
Olwynmary

"is it okay to have the fabric lying on the varnished wood?" Right?

Oh, it *is* going to be stained and sealed for sure. I definitely wouldn't

leave the wood bare! I will have more info tomorrow, after I see what kind
of stain and sealer I picked out!
Thanks, Darla!

Tip: Old sheets are wonderful for lining fabric drawers. I generally fold the
old, worn (possibly torn) sheet so it fits in the bottom and up the sides of
the drawer, lay the fabric in there, then fold the rest of the sheet up and
over. Mind you, I usually also have a sheet of drawer lining paper or old
wallpaper on the bottom.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old December 17th 03, 10:53 PM
Becky

Just a warning if you use poly urethane, make sure it is dry, dry, dry,
before you line it with anything. It takes it some time, (probably a couple
of weeks, at least) to "cure" to a hard, durable surface. It will fell
quite dry to the touch, but will still be soft enough for things to become
adhered to it before it "cures" . I made some bookcases several years ago,
and let them set 3 or 4 days after the last coat of poly before I put the
books in the shelves. It was not long enough. Some of the books stuck to
the shelf surface, but the real problem was where the books at the end of
the row leaned against the sides of the case. Major transfer of book
jackets into the poly coating.

Becky
"Joan Erickson" wrote in message
I have questions! My dad is finishing up the cabinet I designed and he
made for all my stitching stuff (it's in the pre-staining sanding
stage!). I have two drawers for fabric. Do I have to line the drawers
with anything or is it okay to have the fabric laying (lying? I can
never remember which is correct!) on the varnished wood? If I line
them, do I line bottom *and* sides? With what do I line them?

Old December 18th 03, 04:18 PM
Joan Erickson

Olwynmary wrote:

"is it okay to have the fabric lying on the varnished wood?" Right?

Oh, it *is* going to be stained and sealed for sure. I definitely wouldn't

leave the wood bare! I will have more info tomorrow, after I see what kind
of stain and sealer I picked out!

Okay, I checked last night and this is what I'm using: Minwax stain
(oil-based) and Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish, which is water-based.

Tip: Old sheets are wonderful for lining fabric drawers. I generally fold the
old, worn (possibly torn) sheet so it fits in the bottom and up the sides of
the drawer, lay the fabric in there, then fold the rest of the sheet up and
over. Mind you, I usually also have a sheet of drawer lining paper or old
wallpaper on the bottom.

This is a pretty good idea! I have both smooth and flannel sheets
handy, although I keep them to put on my flowers to protect them from
frost in the fall. I will keep this in mind, though!

Old December 18th 03, 04:59 PM
Debra

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:53:15 -0700, "Becky" bbkelher@remove
spamaculink.net wrote:

Just a warning if you use poly urethane, make sure it is dry, dry, dry,
before you line it with anything. It takes it some time, (probably a couple
of weeks, at least) to "cure" to a hard, durable surface. It will fell
quite dry to the touch, but will still be soft enough for things to become
adhered to it before it "cures" . I made some bookcases several years ago,
and let them set 3 or 4 days after the last coat of poly before I put the
books in the shelves. It was not long enough. Some of the books stuck to
the shelf surface, but the real problem was where the books at the end of
the row leaned against the sides of the case. Major transfer of book
jackets into the poly coating.

Becky

Thanks for that info. I hope I remember it when I refinish a piece so
I don't have the same problem.
Debra in VA
Old December 18th 03, 05:48 PM
Joan Erickson

Becky wrote:

Just a warning if you use poly urethane, make sure it is dry, dry, dry,
before you line it with anything. It takes it some time, (probably a couple
of weeks, at least) to "cure" to a hard, durable surface.

I will try keep this in mind! I'm so excited to get my cabinet
finished/finished that it will be hard to let it cure! Of course it
*really* won't be finished until I get my Silver Lining pieces done and
in place in the doors! The first one probably won't be done until late
next year.

Old December 18th 03, 06:20 PM
Meredith

Same thing for (latex) paint! I put a bookshelf up against a wall which
had been painted a day or two before and the paint stuck to the corner
when I moved the shelf a month later.

Meredith

Fire Retardant Fabric Spray saj Beads 0 October 3rd 03 09:44 PM
Fire Retardant Fabric Spray saj Marketplace 0 October 3rd 03 09:44 PM
Fire Retardant Fabric Spray saj General Crafting 0 October 3rd 03 09:44 PM