Kiln Cooling

Old November 14th 03, 08:37 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Default Kiln Cooling

My electric kiln is set in a sort of outdoor shed type building. The
building is very small so I leave the doors open while firing in order
to vent. I have only had my kiln since May so I haven't had to worry
about the weather. My question is: Now the temperature is getting
cold do I need to worry that my kiln will cool too quickly or will the
bricks insulate it well enough?
Old November 15th 03, 12:23 AM
Brad Sondahl

The kiln insulation is adequate--you should always wait to crack the kiln
open till below 500 degrees (or when paper ignites...). If you wait
15-20 hours, you won't even need to crack it open. I've fired hundreds of
cone 10 electric kilns in northern winter conditions... The worst is
leaving it too long to cool and unloading a bunch of ice cube pots...
Brad Sondahl
--
For original art, music, pottery, and literature, visit my homepage
http://sondahl.com

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my
address.

Old November 15th 03, 02:58 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Since we get no where near northern temps here in Georgia that's great
news for me. Thank you very much.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:23:27 GMT, Brad Sondahl
wrote:

The kiln insulation is adequate--you should always wait to crack the kiln
open till below 500 degrees (or when paper ignites...). If you wait
15-20 hours, you won't even need to crack it open. I've fired hundreds of
cone 10 electric kilns in northern winter conditions... The worst is
leaving it too long to cool and unloading a bunch of ice cube pots...
Brad Sondahl

Important - Please beware of a company called Bohle Eric Russell Glass 2 August 23rd 04 07:46 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM