Quilts in Movies...

Old August 2nd 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Default Quilts in Movies...

On 8/1/2013 4:39 PM, Gen wrote:
I do both. I like Facebook better because pictures can be posted right
along with the message---no need to go to a separate site.
Gen

*First question: how many of us are only reading RCTQ this way? or who
regularly read posts in both ways?
OK, there's Susan here, Julia, myself,I'm pretty sure Ginger does also;
and I think Polly does both. If we had an idea of how many there were,
we would have a better feeling of what size group we were still a part
of.

My facebook quilt photo album is public authority, so I can put a link
to a post over here and anyone can see it even if they're not on facebook.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old August 2nd 13, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Pat on the Green wrote:
That is a very good point, actually.
I have hardly done any P&Q at all for three years or so since my
separation - there's always 'stuff' (having to do everything myself!).
I keep trying to catch up, to get 'everything on the list done so that I
can pick my sewing up again'. So, I haven't had anything really to post
about. Also, I had a new service provider and computer, which wouldn't
accept my old Usenet system. I have more or less sussed out just enough
to communicate with e-mails, but newsgroup has been 'iffy'. But, my
last post did appear, so perhaps all is well again - just different!

I will make an honest effort to post some mo more on topic than this
one is g

*First question: how many of us are only reading RCTQ this way? or who
regularly read posts in both ways?
OK, there's Susan here, Julia, myself,I'm pretty sure Ginger does also;
and I think Polly does both. If we had an idea of how many there were,
we would have a better feeling of what size group we were still a part
of.

I will post in the coming week about a project I am doing with my local
quilting group. As usual, I haven't got time to write any more just
now; but I'll make sure I don't leave it too long.

Let's all get writing! We're perhaps feeling a bit discouraged.
However, we can still have a great timew, even if we are small in
number.

Pat on the Green

I check in every day but don't post much either. I'll try to do better
in future!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old August 2nd 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

wrote:
I read the group three or four times a week. It's not as busy as the "olden
days" that's for sure. I really miss it, too.
I do read Facebook but rarely post anywhere.
Now I'm going to break that trend and ask a question.
Does anyone have a tried and true pattern for a diaper bag. I'm a great
grandmother and was thinking making seasonal diaper bags for my grand and
great-grand daughters, might be fun and get me out of my funk.
I just finished the graduation/18th birthday quilt for my oldest grandson.
Donna in Bellevue

I recently made a nappy/diaper bag for my niece. I didn't use a pattern
but simply cut the front, back and gusset to a size I thought would be
useful and then used the principles for making a basic tote.

Here are the 'frills' I added:

- used suède-lined curtain fabric with teddy print (moisture resistant)
and navy cotton drill for the lining.

- used iron-on bamboo batting to add substance (ie. stand-uppage) to the
bag.

- welted zippered pockets - one on the outside front and one on the
inside lining. I managed to get large-tooth nylon zippers for those.

- a recessed zipper in the top (googled 'recessed zipper' and came up
with instructions)

- elasticated pockets on both lining pieces as well as insulated (with
cotton batting) bottle pockets in the end gussets. For these, I just cut
out pockets, made casings on the top and threaded elastic through them.
Final assembly was a little fraught, as I had to stretch the elasticated
bits to reach into the side seams. But I got there in the end!

- a wide, quilted strap (easy on the shoulders) with side-release
buckles so it can be attached to a supermarket trolley when needed.

Just yesterday, my little niece made me glow when she told me it's the
best nappy bag ever! I love my niecie!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old August 2nd 13, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Lizzy Taylor wrote:
On 01/08/2013 19:38, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
On 01/08/2013 17:47, wrote:

Does anyone have a tried and true pattern for a diaper bag. I'm a great
grandmother and was thinking making seasonal diaper bags for my grand
and
great-grand daughters, might be fun and get me out of my funk.

I made this one when DGS was on the way
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com/ga...ma-diaper-bag/

I have asked DD if there was anything about it she didn't like.

Lizzy

DD considers that a firmer bottom would be an improvement and also a
second set of snaps to give a tighter closure when the bag is not so full.

Oh yes! Forgot to add that in my post. I used the plastic covers from a
foolscap folder to stiffen my bottom (well, actually, the bag's
bottom...) and added six metal plated bag feet by punching holes in the
plastic with a centre-punch. I also added two magnetic bag closures
above the zipper for exactly that reason: to give a tighter closure when
the bag is not so full.

It was so much fun making the nappy bag, I went on to use up some of my
precious Laurel Burch cat-flavoured fabric and made a handbag for my
teenaged daughter: she was overjoyed and now takes it everywhere. Next,
I'm going to make another handbag for an elderly nun who taught me in
school. She has a thing for Siamese cats and I've got *just* the fabric
in my stash! Can't wait to give it to her!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old August 2nd 13, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Yeppers, I read here, and post once in a while. Don't do Facebook or any of those things. Finally learned how to text on my phone last year when my dad was sliding downhill.

This group is my first quilt guild. I've met amazing people here, some even face-to-face!

Ginger in CA

On Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:45:06 AM UTC-7, Pat on the Green wrote:
[...]

.

In article , jaccola-AT-chartermi-DOT-

says...

I'm on facebook, but I much prefer the format of this group. Facebook

does not seem like a good replacement. I wish this group were more active.

Julia in MN

On 7/31/2013 8:46 AM, Susan Laity Price wrote:

There are so few post by this group some of us are anxious for any

post even a golden oldie. Maybe I am not receiving all of the posts.

I had not checked in several days. When I just asked my computer for

all posts not read there were only five retrieved. I miss everyone

but am not going to join Facebook.

Susan

Old August 2nd 13, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

The magnetic snaps are ridiculously expensive here (about £3)so I have
started to buy old handbags from charity jumble sales (which are cheaper
than charity shops) I can often get a bag for about 20p if it is
well-worn. The snaps are very easy to remove with a pair of old scissors
and usually look like new. I have a nice little collection now and
sometimes bags come with the added bonus of a buckle and strap links.
Now I just need to make some bags!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old August 2nd 13, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I am doing both FB and check in here. We moved and getting up and running
took some work. I feel worked to the bone and having a bit of trouble
finding
some routine. Nice to see folks here. FB is ok but I feel like I am home
here.
Hope folks will post more here.
Taria

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
eb.com...

Old August 3rd 13, 10:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

Yes, that is what I am hoping, too, Taria.
Really, we only have to start a thread or two every now and again, and
we'll be off and running
So, I will try to set down a group challenge I devised this year! It
has proven to be rather more challenging for folk than I had anticipated
.... I may have to do a workshop to cover all the difficujlties found!
So, I'll hope to be back on Sunday-ish with my long-ish post! I'm on a
new system, and, so far, have only been able to respond to existing
posts. But, I am slowly getting a smidgen more confident, so I might
try pressing any likely looking icons, to get that problem fixed g
Here's hoping ...
..

In article , says...

Old August 5th 13, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default quilted bags Quilts in Movies...

Howdy!
Speaking of bags, I just acquired one from Helen, a former RCTQer:
http://hergesthelly.com/default.htm
I got the bag that's on the "about" page; LOVE IT!
It will hold many necessary things, including the quilted wallet made by
our Donna in Idaho (I am still Queen of the Beggars). Btw, Donna is having
some "health issues"; she's on FB, too, so y'all think good thoughts for
her.
Keep making those bags, folks. 'Cause I love 'em, but don't want to make
'em, but am a happy customer on the other side of the deal. ;-)
Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old August 7th 13, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

I am sorry to say that I don't check in as often as I would like. I do read this group more than the FB one. Only when a big request for a HUG or other does the FB catch my eye.

My favorite quilt in a movie or show is the one Jean (Judy Dench) had on her bed in "As Time Goes By". An old British show that is in re-runs here on PBS.
It's all in plaids and HST's. I've been collecting those fabrics forever so I can make one just like it.

jr.ntr movies list vinay chowdary Quilting 0 October 19th 12 12:27 PM
OT - Bad movies anne Needlework 78 March 19th 09 04:56 AM
quilty movies claudia Quilting 11 November 25th 07 09:11 PM
Ten truths about movies Carl Quilting 1 May 10th 06 01:20 AM
ISO: stamps about movies Debbie Hamann Rubberstamps 1 February 18th 04 05:49 PM