Knitting speed ??

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default knitting smarter was Knitting speed ??

I have read Aaron`s arguments m as well as Tamar`s explanation , and i
still don`t see Any need , importnace or even importance of the SPEED
in Knitting.
I am also not impressed by words as smart or anyotther term used here.

Even if i was knitting for my living, and i am not, i would not force
myself to knit quicker than comes natural to me. Smart or excellence
in knitting comes first of all because one can work in one`s natural
flow of moovements. That is when the outcome is getting it`s best look
or fit. Matching Needle size to thread thicknes and one own fluent
moove of the threads , is what makes it a good knitting.
Weaving was older than knitting, it needed space , a kind of
rigid frame or loom, it needs effort energy. The wonder of knitting is
the ability to take it with you , do it almost under any circumstances
, knit 1 or many stiches, and eventually having something made.
I am 63 years old , and due to circumstances had quite a hectic life.
i knit since i am 5-6. I have knitted in shelters, under staircases ,
while confined to a sick bed, in busses, in [bank and doctors`] lines,
while waiting for bad news, while going through times that my life
hung on a lottery. I knitted because i could use this one moment or
that 10 minutes, i knitted because i love it. Would i have cared about
speed i would have missed a great source of creativity. Too many of
my collleagues are reading about `this contests and ideas about Speed,
and other ideas about the so called quality of it` that they stopped
knitting ,Too many say i can`t compete with this , so it isn`t worth
my while.
There is no need to spoil the fun of thousands of people who enjoy
just to spend some creative minutes a day ,,,
If you chose to make This Idea , your main buisiness in life , for
wahtever reason, Ok , but don`t look down and insult the many people
who just enjoy knitting , and know they will finnish their handcraft
project in due time .
And last , but not least there are many people , who like me have some
kind of illness or other trouble in theit hands that prevents them for
speeding it up , Yet they are producing in their own time and fun ,
the Best most beautiful work, which pleases them and others .
Not everything in life is a matter of speed, we are allowed to walk in
our pace.
mirjam

Marching towards fine knitting Yarn 3 July 11th 06 04:34 AM
The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0, Yarn 29 June 20th 06 06:16 AM
Help with old english knitting directions Rach *in NZ* Yarn 55 April 17th 06 05:23 AM
Amusing anger management stitching Sara Needlework 129 May 9th 05 04:20 PM
My Book Report for Cactus Needles Knitting Guild!!! Slick Hippy chick Yarn 2 November 21st 03 09:23 PM