More on centerpull balls

Old October 9th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

Default More on centerpull balls

"Jan" wrote in message

"Murielle" wrote
What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've
been
told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's obsolete.
That's scary.

Murielle

That's an extreme point of view held by those who have to be on the
"bleeding edge" of technology. Personally, I prefer to wait until the
initial bugs are cleaned up.

--
Jan in MN

Oh, me too. I'm not going to replace my working computer. I don't demand
that much from it, so I don't have to have all the bells and whistles. I
still use dial-up because it works for me. I suppose if I had to have my
computer on all day I would want something more flashy.

Murielle

Old October 11th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Default computer stuff

Hi,

I still mainly use my DOS computer, on which I write plain text code audio
editor plug-ins for an audio editor - I test and run these plug-ins in my
Windows 98 machine.

I also connect to the net on my DOS baby.

Works well for me.

David

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Shillelagh wrote:

"Jan" wrote in message

"Murielle" wrote
What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've

been
told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's

obsolete.
That's scary.

Murielle

That's an extreme point of view held by those who have to be on the
"bleeding edge" of technology. Personally, I prefer to wait until the
initial bugs are cleaned up.
Jan in MN

I'm with you Jan. I run Windows XP, and have no interest in Vista. When I
bought my new computer 3 years ago, XP had already been on the market for a
while. However, I've never d/l Service pack 2 and don't intend to. My ISP
provides Zone Alarm Security Suite free with their service, and it works
great. I haven't run out of memory and don't play many games. I mainly use
my computer for e-mail, photography and discussing yarn (laugh). My old
computer ran Windows 95 and I finally gave up on it when it took so long to
boot up, I'd go have tea while waiting for it. Plus, I blew 2 hard drives
and my monitor, so decided to treat myself to a new one.

Shelagh

--
David R. Sky
http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/

Old October 12th 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Murielle" wrote in message
newsYLOi.11699$%B2.4291@edtnps82...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Murielle" wrote in message

What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've
been told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's
obsolete. That's scary.

No point in being scared of it! It's always been like that with maps -
and even people - as soon as they're born they begin to die :-)

Mary

LOL! Well, when you put it like that ... ;-))

I should have written "mind boggling" instead of "scary". These days my
mind is pretty much permanently boggled.

So is mine - that's why I've only just seen this!

I hope I didn't sound stern, it's just that I'm fed up of hearing the word
'scary' applied to non-scary things. But I suppose what scares some people
wouldn't scare me and vice versa - although I'm not easily scared. Was
during a dream last night when I was being prepared for brain surgery and
found myself in a room with bodies covered with old honeycomb. Then one
began to move. I shouted "HELP" and woke myself (and Spouse).

Mary

Old October 12th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Murielle" wrote in message

"Jan" wrote in message

"Murielle" wrote
What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've
been
told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's
obsolete. That's scary.

Murielle

That's an extreme point of view held by those who have to be on the
"bleeding edge" of technology. Personally, I prefer to wait until the
initial bugs are cleaned up.

--
Jan in MN

Oh, me too. I'm not going to replace my working computer.

Not am I, what's the point in replacing anything until it stops working?

Except a husband, I wouldn't want to replace him no matter what :-)

I don't demand that much from it, so I don't have to have all the bells
and whistles.

Same here.

I still use dial-up because it works for me. I suppose if I had to have
my computer on all day I would want something more flashy.

The reason I went for broadband was because people were always ringing me
and getting the engaged tone. That puts people off and I don't want to do
that. I'm very happy with broadband and the cost isn't that great, for the
convenience.

Mary

Murielle

Old October 14th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Murielle" wrote in message

[...]

Now, that does sound scary. ;-))

Murielle

Old October 14th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Jan" wrote in message

[...]

I have voicemail. So, if they really want to talk to me they can leave a
message and I will get back to them. Most of my friends and family do the
same thing. No one really expects to get an actual person on the phone
anymore around here. ;-))

Murielle

Old October 14th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Murielle" wrote in message

[...]

It was - even to an old beekeeper who has had brain surgery :-)

(Mary)

Old October 14th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Murielle" wrote in message

The reason I went for broadband was because people were always ringing me
and getting the engaged tone. That puts people off and I don't want to do
that. I'm very happy with broadband and the cost isn't that great, for
the convenience.

Mary

Murielle

I have voicemail. So, if they really want to talk to me they can leave a
message and I will get back to them. Most of my friends and family do the
same thing. No one really expects to get an actual person on the phone
anymore around here. ;-))

Heavens! Is that really true?

Although it was a son who complained most vociferously I know that we might
have been missing customers, it's important to be available for them

The thought of never speaking to people on the phone is awful - I have
little time for recorded messages from companies and those which keep you
hanging on, playing electronic musak. They don't get my custom!

Mary

Old October 14th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Murielle" wrote in message

The reason I went for broadband was because people were always ringing
me and getting the engaged tone. That puts people off and I don't want
to do that. I'm very happy with broadband and the cost isn't that great,
for the convenience.

Mary

Murielle

I have voicemail. So, if they really want to talk to me they can leave a
message and I will get back to them. Most of my friends and family do
the same thing. No one really expects to get an actual person on the
phone anymore around here. ;-))

Heavens! Is that really true?

Yes. The fact is, that people are busy, and when you count cell phones and
second lines, internet etc., they'd never have any time for themselves or
their children if they answered the phone(s) every time they rang. For
myself, it comes down to energy. I don't have the energy to spend three or
more hours each day talking on the phone. I need to be able to decide when
and with whom I speak.

I think what many people forget is that we have phones, etc., for *our*
convenience, not for the convenience of others. Good manners have taken a
hike in the past few years. No one who has called me in
I-don't-know-how-long has asked if they've caught me at a bad time, or if
I'm free to settle in for a long chat. People assume that my time is theirs
whenever *they* feel like it. I don't have a cordless phone so when I take
a call I can't get on with whatever I might have been doing, or might need
to do during a long call. Turning my phone off and using the voicemail I
pay for is the sensible option.

Although it was a son who complained most vociferously I know that we
might have been missing customers, it's important to be available for them

But even businesses use voicemail and I rarely get through to a person.
Mostly it's voicemail. It is acceptable and therefore expected. People are
busy I don't assume I'm the most important event in their day.

The thought of never speaking to people on the phone is awful - I have
little time for recorded messages from companies and those which keep you
hanging on, playing electronic musak. They don't get my custom!

Mary

I don't believe I said I "never" speak to people on the phone ... I speak to
people all the time. I just use my voicemail to choose when I speak to
them. Oh, and telemarketers don't leave voicemail. ;-)

Murielle

Old October 14th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Murielle" wrote in message

I have voicemail. So, if they really want to talk to me they can leave
a message and I will get back to them. Most of my friends and family do
the same thing. No one really expects to get an actual person on the
phone anymore around here. ;-))

Heavens! Is that really true?

Yes. The fact is, that people are busy, and when you count cell phones
and second lines, internet etc., they'd never have any time for themselves
or their children if they answered the phone(s) every time they rang. For
myself, it comes down to energy. I don't have the energy to spend three
or more hours each day talking on the phone. I need to be able to decide
when and with whom I speak.

We have an answering machine that picks up after three rings. I personally
hate speaking to answering machines myself, so I try to answer when I can...
or when I'm within earshot to hear it. It actually does come in handy
though as we are sometimes in another room and don't hear the phone, but
when the answering machine picks up we hear the voices talking. If it is a
telemarketer (they certainly leave messages here, it's VERY annoying) we
just ignore it and delete it afterward, but if it's a friend or family we
try to grab it before they hang up. They've all gotten used to "Jeeves"
answering the phone now LOL and just start talking with "Hello... if you're
there pick up, it's me!.... Okay, no answer, so I'll assume you're not home
at the moment. Okay, I'll call back a bit later."

*hugs*
Gemini

Temari Balls Terbear Quilting 22 February 7th 06 06:34 AM
Odd balls Ophelia Yarn 49 September 9th 04 08:48 AM
How to craft new balls for me ? Karl Reitlos Pottery 6 February 6th 04 03:34 PM
OT y now Silver Balls Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 0 December 16th 03 12:07 PM
Just golf balls! Kim McAnnally Needlework 1 July 25th 03 06:48 PM