More on centerpull balls

Old October 4th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default OT Computer acronyms was More on centerpull balls

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

... The kids who used to chat on my chat channel, used to giggle about
me typing out entire words and sentences all the time instead of
abbreviating them. ;o)

Well, you're providing fun. What's bett in life?

Mary

Old October 5th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

Default More on centerpull balls

"Murielle" wrote
What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've been
told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's obsolete.
That's scary.

Murielle

That's an extreme point of view held by those who have to be on the
"bleeding edge" of technology. Personally, I prefer to wait until the
initial bugs are cleaned up.

--
Jan in MN

Old October 5th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 06:50:16 GMT, "Murielle"
wrote:

What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've been
told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's obsolete.
That's scary.

A lot of the stuff they're adding now doesn't interest me. I don't
play games or watch films on my computer. I wouldn't upgrade at all,
except that after a while it becomes difficult to get software for an
old operating system.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old October 5th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:33:02 -0400, "Not Likely"
notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote:

The only acronyms that I use are LOL, ROTFL, etc

I don't even use those, nor emoticons either.

Old October 5th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default computer stuff

"Jan" wrote in message

"Murielle" wrote
What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've

been
told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's

obsolete.
That's scary.

Murielle

That's an extreme point of view held by those who have to be on the
"bleeding edge" of technology. Personally, I prefer to wait until the
initial bugs are cleaned up.
Jan in MN

I'm with you Jan. I run Windows XP, and have no interest in Vista. When I
bought my new computer 3 years ago, XP had already been on the market for a
while. However, I've never d/l Service pack 2 and don't intend to. My ISP
provides Zone Alarm Security Suite free with their service, and it works
great. I haven't run out of memory and don't play many games. I mainly use
my computer for e-mail, photography and discussing yarn (laugh). My old
computer ran Windows 95 and I finally gave up on it when it took so long to
boot up, I'd go have tea while waiting for it. Plus, I blew 2 hard drives
and my monitor, so decided to treat myself to a new one.

Shelagh

Old October 5th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:33:02 -0400, "Not Likely"
notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote:

The only acronyms that I use are LOL, ROTFL, etc

I don't even use those, nor emoticons either.

Oh I definitely use emoticons! I learned a long time ago that something can
be said (typed) online with one meaning or feeling in mind, and taken a
completely different way because the person reading it doesn't see your face
and notice the smile, grin, or glint in your eye to know that you are just
goofing around. Too many people get upset or angry because they have no
idea how the other person really means what they just typed. So a friendly
smilie ) or wink ;o) lets them know that whatever was said, was done so
in a nice way, not sarcastically or nastily. *shrug* It especially
helps to save feelings from being hurt on chat channels where the chatting
goes a lot faster than here on a newsgroup.

*hugs*
Gemini

Old October 6th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

"Shillelagh" wrote in message ...
I'm with you Jan. I run Windows XP, and have no interest in Vista. When
bought my new computer 3 years ago, XP had already been on the market for
while. However, I've never d/l Service pack 2 and don't intend to. My
ISP
provides Zone Alarm Security Suite free with their service, and it works
great. I haven't run out of memory and don't play many games. I mainly
use
my computer for e-mail, photography and discussing yarn (laugh). My old
computer ran Windows 95 and I finally gave up on it when it took so long
boot up, I'd go have tea while waiting for it. Plus, I blew 2 hard drives
and my monitor, so decided to treat myself to a new one.

Shelagh

My Win/XP computer is 4 years old already. I held off on SP2 until last
fall when I decided to do it because they dropped support for SP1. I had a
devil of a time installing SP2 because it would run almost to completion and
then stop with an error in the cleanup phase. I backed it out and reran the
install 4 times and got the same error every time. Since it did get past
the install phase and seemed to be running fine, I decided to not back it
out again and there has never been a sign of anything wrong with it.

--
Jan in MN

Old October 6th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:33:02 -0400, "Not Likely"
notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote:

The only acronyms that I use are LOL, ROTFL, etc

I don't even use those, nor emoticons either.

Oh I definitely use emoticons! I learned a long time ago that something
can be said (typed) online with one meaning or feeling in mind, and taken
a completely different way because the person reading it doesn't see your
face and notice the smile, grin, or glint in your eye to know that you are
just goofing around. Too many people get upset or angry because they have
no idea how the other person really means what they just typed.

But isn't that their problem? Surely they shouldn't make assumptions -
probably based on what they'd mean if they used the same words!

When I talk to a blind person I don't feel the need to tell him/her what I
really mean in case s/he misunderstands ... the same happens if I talk to
someone on the phone. I've written long letters for decades and never felt
the need to put in little drawings to explain my real meaning, I expect the
reader to have some kind of understanding.

It seems to me that emoticons and available on Usenet because the CAN be.
Much as when colour became available in television all clothing and sets
were saturated with unnecessary (and often ugly and distracting) colour.

I could go on and on about this but I think I've made my point.

:-)

Mary

Old October 6th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

When I talk to a blind person I don't feel the need to tell him/her what I
really mean in case s/he misunderstands ... the same happens if I talk to
someone on the phone. I've written long letters for decades and never felt
the need to put in little drawings to explain my real meaning, I expect
the reader to have some kind of understanding.

True! However, if you're speaking with someone (either blind or on the
phone) they can usually hear the tone of your voice to figure out if you are
being friendly or not.. unless you speak monitone, which I doubt. ;o) As
for actual hand-written letters... no, I don't put little drawings in
either. I don't know... it just became something (misunderstanding and
getting their feelings hurt, etc) that happened more frequently while
chatting online, so the emoticons just seemed to be easier to type in along
with the message, rather than hurt someone's feelings and have to explain
later. I do realize that it is the other person's problem if they
misunderstood, but I'm the type of person who doesn't like to hurt people's
feelings to begin with, so I try to avoid doing so whenever I can... or
aplogize for accidentally doing so afterward. *shrug*

It seems to me that emoticons and available on Usenet because the CAN be.
Much as when colour became available in television all clothing and sets
were saturated with unnecessary (and often ugly and distracting) colour.

I don't mind the colour on coloured TV, but when they colourize the old
black and white movies it just looks SO fake, not to mention taking away
from the appeal of the original movie. Matthew (who, of course, grew up
with coloured TV and movies) also hates when the movie makers feel the need
to mess with the originals and colourize them.

I could go on and on about this but I think I've made my point.

:-)

Yes you have, and a very valid point. ) Everyone has their own opinion
on things, so to each his/her own.

By the way... nice smilie! ;o) See you do use them sometimes too.
hehehe

*hugs*
Gem

Old October 9th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Murielle" wrote in message

What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've
been told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's
obsolete. That's scary.

No point in being scared of it! It's always been like that with maps - and
even people - as soon as they're born they begin to die :-)

Mary

LOL! Well, when you put it like that ... ;-))

I should have written "mind boggling" instead of "scary". These days my
mind is pretty much permanently boggled.

Murielle

Temari Balls Terbear Quilting 22 February 7th 06 06:34 AM
Odd balls Ophelia Yarn 49 September 9th 04 08:48 AM
How to craft new balls for me ? Karl Reitlos Pottery 6 February 6th 04 03:34 PM
OT y now Silver Balls Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 0 December 16th 03 12:07 PM
Just golf balls! Kim McAnnally Needlework 1 July 25th 03 06:48 PM