More on centerpull balls

Old October 3rd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

Default More on centerpull balls

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Murielle" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Murielle" wrote in message

I've been AFK for ages and am trying to catch up on any threads I was
in before my computer made me crazy ... er.

I don't know what AFK means but I'm sorry you're crazy :-)

LOL!

AFK means away from keyboard.

Ah, thanks! I'll try to remember - but probably shan't :-)

I hear you!

It's a very old computer expression. Really dates me.

Well I've been using a computer at home since 1989, perhaps it's more of a
cultural difference than an age one. Although I AM old :-)

Mary

LOL! Me too, some days more than others. ;-))

Murielle

Old October 3rd 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:20:42 GMT, "Murielle"
wrote:

AFK means away from keyboard. It's a very old computer expression.
Really
dates me.

I've been using computers since long before they even had keyboards.
Remember punched cards? Remember FORTRAN?
--
Barbara Vaughan

LOL! I can honestly say, no, to both. My first computer was a Texas
Instrument, the first one that had colour capability. It had the old
printer where the paper had holes in it. I loved that computer. I still
have it.

Murielle

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero
dot it.

Old October 3rd 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:41:07 GMT, "Murielle"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

AFK means away from keyboard. It's a very old computer expression.
Really
dates me.

I've been using computers since long before they even had keyboards.
Remember punched cards? Remember FORTRAN?
--
Barbara Vaughan

LOL! I can honestly say, no, to both. My first computer was a Texas
Instrument, the first one that had colour capability. It had the old
printer where the paper had holes in it. I loved that computer. I still
have it.

I first used a computer in 1967. I needed it to do actuarial
calculations, and I had to learn to program it in FORTRAN. It took up
a whole room and needed two people to operate it, and it had a lot
less memory than my little Palm computer does now.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old October 3rd 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
B Vaughan wrote:

I've been using computers since long before they even had keyboards.
Remember punched cards? Remember FORTRAN?

No, but I remember our children making 'computers' from cereal boxes and
knitting needles back in the 60s :-)

Mary

Old October 3rd 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Murielle" wrote in message

I've been using computers since long before they even had keyboards.
Remember punched cards? Remember FORTRAN?
--
Barbara Vaughan

LOL! I can honestly say, no, to both. My first computer was a Texas
Instrument, the first one that had colour capability. It had the old
printer where the paper had holes in it.

Ah - the 'bag of nails' - very interesting if you tried to print graphics!
In my early days the only graphics printers used styli. We never had one but
Spouse did a course and proudly presented me with a COLOUR! print-out
saying, "Sorry I'm late but it was FUN!"

It was too. Nobody would persevere with such technology now but what of the
future? They'll think we and our machines frightfully primitive. It's all
going too fast :-(

Mary

Old October 4th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:41:07 GMT, "Murielle"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Oh, you are way ahead of me! ;-)

Murielle

Old October 4th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Murielle" wrote in message

I've been using computers since long before they even had keyboards.
Remember punched cards? Remember FORTRAN?
--
Barbara Vaughan

LOL! I can honestly say, no, to both. My first computer was a Texas
Instrument, the first one that had colour capability. It had the old
printer where the paper had holes in it.

Ah - the 'bag of nails' - very interesting if you tried to print
graphics! In my early days the only graphics printers used styli. We never
had one but Spouse did a course and proudly presented me with a COLOUR!
print-out saying, "Sorry I'm late but it was FUN!"

It was too. Nobody would persevere with such technology now but what of
the future? They'll think we and our machines frightfully primitive. It's
all going too fast :-(

Mary

What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've been
told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's obsolete.
That's scary.

Murielle

Old October 4th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Murielle" wrote in message

What amazes me is how quickly technology is changing these days. I've
been told that as soon as you take your computer from the store it's
obsolete. That's scary.

No point in being scared of it! It's always been like that with maps - and
even people - as soon as they're born they begin to die :-)

Mary

Old October 4th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Our very first computer (the one before this) was bought 11 years ago. My
son had used computers all through school, since kindergarten, but I had
never touched one before. When we got it all set up by our Internet
Provider here in town, I asked my (then almost 15 year old) son to show me
what to do so that I could type up some of my poems. Instead of actually
showing me, he just opened a page and said "There, just sit and type." Easy
enough... I sat and typed... for about a half hour, then the screen went
totally blue and I freaked out thinking I had broken the computer. My son
came out, shook his head in disbelief and tapped a couple of keys and the
screen was back to normal. LOL

I went on to have my own chat channel and my own website that a friend
created for me.. I did the upkeep and changed/added new pages and pictures
myself, and a lot of people thought I knew so much about computers. NOT...
I just cover well. ;o) I do know my way around a computer a *bit* more
now of course, but there are some things that still send me into a tailspin.
I still swear these things have minds of their own sometimes and just toy
with us humans to see what reactions they will get. hehehe

*hugs*
Gemini

Old October 4th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default OT Computer acronyms was More on centerpull balls

"Jan" wrote in message

Oh yes Barbara, I remember FORTRAN which was the first programming
language I learned; I believe it was in 1965. That was later followed by
COBOL, RPG, PL1, BAL, etc. A programmer's life was filled with acronyms
but none of this AFK and BRB stuff which weren't coined until much later.

The only acronyms that I use are LOL, ROTFL, etc Any other abbreviations
like AFK and BRB, I never use and always type the words out in full. The
kids who used to chat on my chat channel, used to giggle about me typing out
entire words and sentences all the time instead of abbreviating them. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Temari Balls Terbear Quilting 22 February 7th 06 06:34 AM
Odd balls Ophelia Yarn 49 September 9th 04 08:48 AM
How to craft new balls for me ? Karl Reitlos Pottery 6 February 6th 04 03:34 PM
OT y now Silver Balls Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 0 December 16th 03 12:07 PM
Just golf balls! Kim McAnnally Needlework 1 July 25th 03 06:48 PM