More on centerpull balls

Old June 18th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default More on centerpull balls

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Mary Fisher wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...

It wasn't new, though it was ununsed.
Do you mean it was still factory wound?
No they were outside wound balls so I presume someone had bought it in
hanks and rewound themselves. The yarn hadn't been knit with, no labels.

I don't think I've seen commercial yarn in hanks for years! Only home
spun yarn.

Quite a lot of the more expensive yarns in the US come in hanks.
Especially the thinner laceweight ones.

sue

I'm in England. Yorkshire in fact, the home of wool :-)

Mary

Old June 18th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:08:09 +0000, DAB wrote:

Bernadette wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:11:34 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 05:33:08 -0400, Not Likely wrote:

Awww, the gingerbread men sound cute. Will you be posting a link
so we can
see the pictures?... assuming you'll be taking pictures. Also,
can I ask
where you found the pattern for them, or is it something that
you've created?

*hugs*
Gemini

I still have to put the finishing touches Gem but will get a couple
of pics before I send them to the charity. My wrist has taken
longer to heal after this surgery so I've been slow to finish this
project.

Here is the link to the charity site. If you scroll to the bottom of
the page you can download the pattern. It is written using UK
terminology so you may need a translation - if I can help just
yell! :-) There is an error in the "body and arms" section as well.
The instruction "Starting with a P. row work 5 rows st.st," should
read "work 4 rows".

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist, Bernadette. Was the surgery for
carpal tunnel? My oldest sister had that surgery on her dominant
hand years ago and it helped, but took a bit of time to get back
into proper working order. Apparently she needs it on her right hand
now, but says she isn't going to bother with it since she is
left-handed and rarely uses her right one anyway. *shrug* She
also is diabetic and has a few other "more important" things wrong
with her that she is more concerned about.

In any case, looking forward to seeing your pictures whenever you
get them finished. No rush, obviously, just take care of your wrist.

Ummm... thank you for the heads-up about the error on the
gingerbread man pattern, but you forgot to add the link to the site.
;o) UK terminology shouldn't be too much of a problem for me...
I'm Canadian and we tend to lean more toward UK terminology than any
other.... at least *I* do... and I've seen and used UK patterns
before. However, that being said... I will definitely be yelling
for help if I do run into something I don't quite get. ;o)

*hugs*
Gem

Oh heck, That's twice today I've done that - sorry! I have changed
over from Windows to a Linux system on Friday and am just getting
used to the changes. Here is the link
http://www.atlanticvillage.co.uk/new...aspx?newsId=89

Yes, it was carpal tunnel syndrome. I had my right wrist operated on
in January and was knitting/crocheting again within a week. Although
I am right handed it was the left wrist (which they operated on this
time) that was a worse mess so they had to do a bit more work on it.
The scar is about double the size of the one on my other "paw". It
healed quickly (stitches out after 6 days) but remained sore "inside"
until now and is still sensitive to touch. It's still better than it
was so I'm not complaining ;-)

Bernadette

I was wondereing how your surgery went.....sorry to hear this one was not as
good but hope your on the mend soon!

Donna

Thanks Donna. I'm gradually catching up on replies to e-mails too - honest! :-)

Old June 18th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Mary Fisher wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Mary Fisher wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...

It wasn't new, though it was ununsed.
Do you mean it was still factory wound?
No they were outside wound balls so I presume someone had bought it in
hanks and rewound themselves. The yarn hadn't been knit with, no labels.
I don't think I've seen commercial yarn in hanks for years! Only home
spun yarn.

Quite a lot of the more expensive yarns in the US come in hanks.
Especially the thinner laceweight ones.

sue

I'm in England. Yorkshire in fact, the home of wool :-)

I gathered that. That's why I mentioned the US...

sue
Old June 18th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Aaron Lewis" wrote in message
. net...
The Cottage Craft Yarns that I like, come in tied skeins that must be
balled before they tangle! The last time I was knitting in the backroom
at Big Sky Yarns, the clerk must have some in 3 or 4 times (over 3 hours)
to wind different yarns that customers had bought as skeins and wanted
wound into balls. So I would say that there is still some traffic in
commercial yarns sold in loose skeins.

I like skeins for some yarns because they can be washed and dyed.

Yes but it's hard to find commercial yarn in skeins here. Hand spun wool
is a different matter.

When I was a child all bought wool was in hanks, then winders were
invented and the balls took off. As it were.

Mary

As a child in Scotland I remember watching my mother and grandmother wind
balls from big hanks of yarn. Come to think of it, I remember they wound
the wool loosely. I tend to wind tight. Guess I never asked why they wound
the balls the way they did.

Murielle

Old June 19th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Bernadette wrote:
[...]

LOL sure I believe you ;-).....take your time.

Old June 19th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Gerald & Donna McIntosh

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Aaron Lewis" wrote in message
et...
see http://www.tradewindknits.com/tbctrbal.html

Aaron

Surely we don't need to be told this? Doesn't everyone know to wind wool
loosely?

I got some from a thrift store and it was wound really tight. When I
rewound them, the balls were about 1½ times the original size.

sue

My DH "helped" me once winding yarn in balls, and when he finished the ball
could have been used
as a baseball, it was wound so tight..after that, I let him do his thing
(watching baseball) and I went back into
living room and continued with my knitting..easier that way!

Donna in S. Indiana

Old June 19th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

I was pawing through the stash recently for yarn to use in a knitting class,
and grabbed a bunch of balls that I wound a couple of years ago. They were
center pull then. But over time, the cumulative tension of the yarn had
collapsed the centers, and last week, I could not get to the starting yarn
out. I had to rewind them. Some of us need to be reminded of the basics
every so often.

Aaron

Old June 19th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

"suzee" wrote in message ...
Aaron Lewis wrote:
I was pawing through the stash recently for yarn to use in a knitting
class, and grabbed a bunch of balls that I wound a couple of years ago.
They were center pull then. But over time, the cumulative tension of the
yarn had collapsed the centers, and last week, I could not get to the
starting yarn out. I had to rewind them. Some of us need to be reminded
of the basics every so often.

Even thought I use mine relatively soon, I leave about a 6 inch or more
tail out so I can find it.

sue

Now if you could only convince commercial yarn ball producers to do that,
live would be so much easier. :-)

--
Jan in MN

Old June 19th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Jan wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message ...
Aaron Lewis wrote:
I was pawing through the stash recently for yarn to use in a knitting
class, and grabbed a bunch of balls that I wound a couple of years ago.
They were center pull then. But over time, the cumulative tension of the
yarn had collapsed the centers, and last week, I could not get to the
starting yarn out. I had to rewind them. Some of us need to be reminded
of the basics every so often.

Even thought I use mine relatively soon, I leave about a 6 inch or more
tail out so I can find it.

sue

Now if you could only convince commercial yarn ball producers to do that,
live would be so much easier. :-)

It would be harder to do with commercial yarn; the loose end could catch
on things and pull out too much. A lot of people complain about finding
the end in them, but I don't have much trouble. Sure you don't get just
the end pulling out several more yards usually, but you're going to knit
it anyway.... If there's way too much, I wind it into a butterfly and
stick it back into the center.

sue

Temari Balls Terbear Quilting 22 February 7th 06 06:34 AM
Odd balls Ophelia Yarn 49 September 9th 04 08:48 AM
How to craft new balls for me ? Karl Reitlos Pottery 6 February 6th 04 03:34 PM
OT y now Silver Balls Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 0 December 16th 03 12:07 PM
Just golf balls! Kim McAnnally Needlework 1 July 25th 03 06:48 PM