Temari Balls

Old January 29th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Temari Balls

Has anyone tried making these before?...I would love to try one, but not
sure where to even start...Here is the website I found out about them...be
sure to check out the album: http://www.temarikai.com/

--
Terbear~Curator of the HUG Gallery~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/HUGS

Teri's quilts~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

Old January 29th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

O M G - Teri, either you are kidding - or it's time one of us show up
on your doorstep and give you a ride to the funny farm! Better yet, I
think we'd better save time and call the men in the white coats with
the white van!

Are you CRAZY ?!?!?!?!?!? You know Teri, I kinda figured you for a
Type A personality, but isn't this taking it just a little too far?
LOL

They look really, really cool - but I'm afraid that one would be a test
of my patience, that I would definitely FAIL!

Hugs,
Tina

Old January 29th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I am fascinated by these but would probably never have the patience to
make them. They have been demonstrated on The Carol Duval Show

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_occasion...381967,00.html

There is a book referred to on the show and on that web page.

Enjoy!
Rita L.

Old January 29th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have a few books on this and would probably recommend you ask your library
to get some in so you can read up on it before launching into a project.
This is one from Amazon that will give you an author to search for (this
woman has written a couple).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...lance&n=283155
Also "The Temari Book" by Anne Diamond.

Google should throw up a whole list of sites. I haven't looked far this
morning.

They are very pretty, very fiddly and very time consuming, but always
treasured when given as gifts, and a collectors' item in Japan. If Joann's
is anything like our Aussie Spotlight they will have polystyrene balls in
their craft area. Get one of those and some old/cheap knitting yarn to
practise with to see if this is something you want to really get into.

But don't be deceived by the "simple" appearance of these little suckers.
It is only wrapping thread around a ball, but then making a quilt is just
sewing a whole lot of bits together isn't it? LOL

If you do decide you like temari you might also enjoy making woven braids
and ropes. Japanese Kumihimo is probably the best known form of this, but
"The Big Book of Sling and Rope Braids" by Rodrick Owen covers many types.
Don't even bother to look this one up on Amazon (you would faint at the
price!), but I didn't pay anywhere near that price for my paperback copy.
Again - ask the library. They may be able to transfer one in for you.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old January 29th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Terbear wrote:

Has anyone tried making these before?...I would love to try one, but not
sure where to even start...Here is the website I found out about them...be
sure to check out the album: http://www.temarikai.com/

Wow! Done in coloured thread wraps and metallic thread, they would make
fantastic Christmas tree baubles...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 29th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Temari Balls - I Have

http://community.webshots.com/album/203217374UAVhDG

I recommend getting one of the beginner books. Dina Vanderhort is a good
author (or however her name is actually spelled).

Melissa in NJ

--
Pics of My Quilts:
http://community.webshots.com/user/quiltngryhndlady

Quilt Something for Yourself!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply

Old January 29th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I personally did not like making them ... took a class - just found
them too finicky for me. They are a lot of work - beautiful yes but
And to think Japanese kids used to just toss them around like we do our
rubber balls. Gad

A friend of mine loves making them - post a message over on the
needlework group and see if she wants to show her face. :-))

Sharon

Temari, anyone? curtin_deb Needlework 5 December 20th 04 06:59 PM
[AD] ***New at Trash City!*** Discount Silver/GF, Turquoise, Rhinestone balls, Lampwork, Trashcitybeads Beads 0 January 9th 04 06:20 PM
Temari Balls Rita Sim Marketplace 1 November 17th 03 09:55 AM
Temari Balls Rita Sim General Crafting 1 November 17th 03 09:55 AM
Just golf balls! Kim McAnnally Needlework 1 July 25th 03 06:48 PM