Help needed

Old September 12th 04, 02:55 AM
Gillian Murray

Default Help needed

I want to knit a couple of hats for twins due in November. I don't want hats
with strings, because Mommies don't like that any more. I need something
like a cap which can be made with baby sports yarn, which I am using for the
booties. zlease send a quick and easy pattern for me.

thank you.

Old September 12th 04, 03:11 AM
Kristen

Try this website:

http://knitting.about.com/library/blbabyhatpic.htm

I saw a couple there with no strings...I'm a crocheter but bookmarked that
website when I was dabbling in a little knitting, but I haven't done any of
those patterns.

~Kristen

news0O0d.2148$5t4.1041@trnddc01...

Old September 12th 04, 03:34 AM
Slinky

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:55:47 GMT, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

I want to knit a couple of hats for twins due in November. I don't want hats
with strings, because Mommies don't like that any more. I need something
like a cap which can be made with baby sports yarn, which I am using for the
booties. zlease send a quick and easy pattern for me.

thank you.

One of these days we're going to be "safetied" out of our minds! My
kid's school sent down an edict last year prohibiting strings in
sweatshirt hoods, prohibiting idiot strings on mittens, and
recommending velcro-close or slip-on shoes. I guess we're going to
produce a generation of children who don't know how to tie a bow
*sigh*

/soapbox

Anyhow, making a cap for a baby is no different from making a cap for
an adult. Just remember that the average head circumference of a
newborn is about 23". Make the thing ribbed up to the decreases and
it should stay on fine. Make the "brim" double length and it can be
folded over for extra warmth.
Old September 12th 04, 03:05 PM
spampot

wrote:

[...]

Sure makes ya wonder how we all lived to adulthood with all of those
strings attached to us, doesn't it. I can see some of the strictures on
what we grew up with -- it IS dangerous to swim in an abandoned quarry!
but for heaven's sake, how many children are actually injured by the
strings on their sweatshirt hoods?
Old September 12th 04, 05:59 PM
Shillelagh

"spampot" wrote in message
Slinky wrote:

[...]

I'm with you both on that one! I wonder how many mittens have been lost
without their idiot strings. Geeze.
Shelagh

Old September 12th 04, 10:28 PM
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message
Slinky wrote:

[...]

And!!!! We never had a seat belt. In fact, we often rode in the back of a
truck, along with a dog or so. And!!!! Nobody died after eating a peanut
butter sandwich. We must have been tougher. g

Katherine

Old September 13th 04, 06:40 AM
GJeep4x4

I want to knit a couple of hats for twins due in November. I don't want hats
with strings, because Mommies don't like that any more. I need something
like a cap which can be made with baby sports yarn, which I am using for the

booties. zlease

Hi,

One site you might want to take a look at is Lionsbrand.com. There are several
Free knitting patterns and there is a really easy baby hat made out of polar
spun yarn. You can use the pattern and ajust it as you like by using whatever
yarn you wanted to. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Glennlyn

Old September 13th 04, 01:24 PM
B Vaughan

wrote:

I want to knit a couple of hats for twins due in November. I don't want hats
with strings, because Mommies don't like that any more. I need something
like a cap which can be made with baby sports yarn, which I am using for the
booties. zlease send a quick and easy pattern for me.

Even when my kids were toddlers, more than a quarter of a century ago,
I was a little leery of strings. I modified several hat patterns to
use idiot cord instead of string. Idiot cord is thick and rather
stretchy and it seemed less dangerous to me.

Recently I made a crocheted baby bib for my daughter's maid of honour,
who is now a new mother. I modified the pattern so that instead of
strings, I had two crocheted ribbon-like short bands that fastened
with velcro. You could also use a button, but the velcro gives a
little more room for adjustment. These bands were not only stretchy,
but too short to be dangerous.

I think most patterns could be modified to make something similar.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old September 14th 04, 11:21 PM
spampot

Katherine wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:

"spampot" wrote in message

Slinky wrote:

[...]

well...the ones who died after eating PB sandwiches didn't reproduce.
Old September 15th 04, 04:33 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I am with you too, i keep wondering where "LOST COUNTRY" is ,,, i
myself contributed many items to it`s wellfare ..... Where are all
thos Lost People ? Items ? knowledge ??? etc...
anyone has an any idea ?
mirjam

How to calculate the length of the thread needed Isam Needlework 3 April 21st 04 01:35 PM
prayers needed AliceW Quilting 22 February 13th 04 01:26 AM
BE book recommendation needed Hexe Needlework 7 December 18th 03 06:46 AM
Help needed in Novi this weekend Stamp Francisco Rubberstamps 0 July 31st 03 10:52 PM
Bakelite pin INFO needed Please Fred Blome Jewelry 0 July 13th 03 03:14 AM