ideas on floor cloths or area rugs painted or kintted

Old February 17th 04, 05:10 AM
Warmhands

Default ideas on floor cloths or area rugs painted or kintted

I have seen these before on t.v but not sure how to make.
Please if you have any ideas or suggestions I can try to do please feel free
to let me know.
I am looking for ideas on floor cloths or area rugs painted canvas or rugs
something that is washable and save for kids to play on and also nice
looking.
Also have some problem with ugly living room walls and I can't paint On the
wall need some ideas to cover walls.
Thanks all also window treatments to match your ideas would be nice too. I
have a pattern for knitting a blind which sound interesting.. I look forward
to your ideas.. Thank you all.

Old February 17th 04, 06:22 AM
Angela Faye Oon

Hi Warmhands,

I would suggest a washable worsted-weight acrylic yarn for the floor cloths,
which would be able to stand up to children playing on them and lots of
washing in the washing machine. Make the floor cloths into a size that would
fit comfortably into your washing machine, or else you may have to take it
to the laundry and that would be inconvenient.

As for wall hangings, there are many great patterns out there in crochet
(maybe a lace pattern? Good for curtains or blinds!) or even afghans that
are richly textured and look like wall tapestries. And if you ever need a
warm blanket in a hurry, you can always take it off the wall and wash it and
voila ;-).

All the best,
Angela

Old February 17th 04, 08:09 AM
Anna MCM

Warmhands wrote:
I have seen these before on t.v but not sure how to make.
Please if you have any ideas or suggestions I can try to do please feel=

free
to let me know.
I am looking for ideas on floor cloths or area rugs painted canvas or r=

ugs
something that is washable and save for kids to play on and also nice
looking.

Hi!

Meybe you are searching for something home made, but I share my ideas=20
anyway...
IKEA has some very nice looking rugs for kids room. I like the one with=20
the drawing for machine races :-))
I don=B4t know the price but usually IKEA prices are not so high.
Check if you have a IKEA store near you, but they sell also by mail.

Also have some problem with ugly living room walls and I can't paint On=

the
wall need some ideas to cover walls.

Any beautiful rug will do the trick. They are hugely popular in Russia.=20
They hang the rug to the wall, partly to admire the rug, partly for=20
covering the wall, keep the room warm and have some privacy (expecially=20
in Soviet times).
Of course Persian rugs would be wonderful, but any rug of your taste=20
will do the trick.

Another trick I saw at a friend=B4s home. His son, a boy, got a pinkish=20
room which he didn=B4t like. They bought paperwall and pinned it up and=20
down. The result wasn=B4t astonising (maybe the work could have done much=
=20
better) but he got a blue room!

Thanks all also window treatments to match your ideas would be nice too=

=2E I
have a pattern for knitting a blind which sound interesting.. I look fo=

rward
to your ideas.. Thank you all.
=20

I have the same problem here, so any advice will be more than welcome. I =

could crochet blinds, but DH doesn=B4t like a too much crochet home LOL

All the best!

Anna Maria

Old February 17th 04, 02:03 PM
Seaspray

Hi,
I am looking for ideas on floor cloths or area rugs painted canvas or

rugs

You could try www.hgtv.com website for many ideas for home decorating. They
would probably also have suggestions on how to make floor cloths. I know I
have seen a few episodes with floor cloths being made.

need some ideas to cover walls.

My cousin bought a large dowel and sewed tabs on a quilt to hang in her
dining room. It really looks nice and covers a lot of space. Sometimes big
stores run good sales on thin quilts. "Macys" "Kohls". A matching sheet to
the quilt could be stapled to a shade rod. Use the plastic shade for a
template. Solid valance could top it off.

Have fun redecorating!

Seaspray

Have fun with this.

Old February 17th 04, 05:01 PM
Cher

How about old T shirts cut into strips and either crocheted woven or
knitted..

cheers....Cher

Warmhands wrote in message
I have seen these before on t.v but not sure how to make.
Please if you have any ideas or suggestions I can try to do please feel

free
to let me know.
I am looking for ideas on floor cloths or area rugs painted canvas or rugs
something that is washable and save for kids to play on and also nice
looking.
Also have some problem with ugly living room walls and I can't paint On

the
wall need some ideas to cover walls.
Thanks all also window treatments to match your ideas would be nice too. I
have a pattern for knitting a blind which sound interesting.. I look

forward
to your ideas.. Thank you all.

---

Old February 17th 04, 05:36 PM
Bungadora

How about crocheting over cotton piping and sewing it in strips or in a circle?

My sister does those braided rugs. All they are is strips of wool, braided and
then the braids sewn together.

As for the wall, you can hang fabric. Tack or staple the fabric to strips of
lathing, turn the lathing so the fabric falls over the top, and then tack the
lathing to the wall. This gives a crisper edge finish than just tacking the
fabric to the wall. Fabric can be shirred, so the wall looks like a curtain.

Dora
Old February 17th 04, 08:16 PM
Warmhands

Thank you for your ideas I like them very much except I do not crochet I
knit. Have seen the yarn is it a thick cotton or a thick worseted sports
style...
Great idea to think a head to make sure it fits in a regular wash machine...
Never that about it until u said it..

Old February 17th 04, 08:24 PM
Warmhands

Old T-****s? Have you done this how would you knit it have to cut pretty
thinly? Mabe add some other things in with it mabe try it. would it make a
difference if its not cut even.. Would this be for the floor or wall??? Nice
idea thow now I need to try it and see what happens...
Probably need big knitting needles...
What do you think...

Old February 17th 04, 09:49 PM
Cher

I've woven strips of cut up T Shirts, and the charity/thrift shops have tons
they'll give you that cannot be sold because of an odd stain, so ask... I
usually cut them into strips, and weave them in, I cut the arms and neck
and bottom hems off, then I cut them about an inch wide, maybe less, and
cut them in a spiral around the T Shirt, or what is left of it, so that you
don't have to join bits too often.

Usually I don't sew them together just turn them to how I want the Tshirt
yarn to look like, but most Tshirts are the same back and front, you will
have the seams at one or both sides of the Tshirt to deal with though, but
usually you can work this in or not, as the case may be.
Always worth a try...let us know how you make out...cheers....Cher

Old February 18th 04, 03:04 AM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:49:21 -0000, "Cher" wrote:

I've woven strips of cut up T Shirts, and the charity/thrift shops have tons
they'll give you that cannot be sold because of an odd stain, so ask... I
usually cut them into strips, and weave them in, I cut the arms and neck
and bottom hems off, then I cut them about an inch wide, maybe less, and
cut them in a spiral around the T Shirt, or what is left of it, so that you
don't have to join bits too often.

You can also cut them into narrow cross-wise loops then join them like
looping rubber bands. This works for crocheting rugs with big hooks, too.
The cutting can go really fast that way, with a cutter and mat.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org