Color knitting

Old August 9th 03, 05:18 PM

Default Color knitting

I think I'm ready to try a simple color knitting pattern. This will
be a whole new thing for me, never done more than solid color before.
What would you suggest would be the best way to learn -- any certain
websites, magazines, books, tips & tricks?

Thanks!
Old August 10th 03, 02:35 AM
havana bill & holly

Knitting magazines often have projects with more than one color. My
personal favorites were the Scandinavian snowflake patterned sweaters. The
important thing I learned was to LOOSELY carry the unused color behind the
color I was knitting with and to let that color drop over the second color
thread when I switched to it so it crossed (no "holes"). As you purl back
the next row you bring the second color up over the first color when you
change colors, this "untwists" the yarn from letting it drop on the previous
row. I also learned to lighten up on the tension when I began knitting in
more than one color.

Old August 10th 03, 04:07 AM
Coggie

My favorite way to teach someone how to do double colors is to teach
the slip stitch , so as it looks as if you work a pattern but really
you do it all in rows . I know that there are patterns out there , but
I don't know where to send you. might do a google search fo it.
Coggie

Old August 10th 03, 04:48 AM
G.Kelly

"K" Colour knitting is just so much more interesting than block colour
and you will just love it .

For practice i would suggest getting all your scrap wools together and start
knitting ! Use as a base one of your favourite block knit patterns and
cast on the basque in a main colour and then just go for it - a few stitches
of this and a few stitches of that untill the row is finished and so on and
on - you do not have to do straight columns of the colours - " move" them a
stitich or two to the left or right and you have a moved row - all very
simple especially if you do it like this "freehand' A pattern can come
later when you get really proficient.

Good luck and have fun God Bless Gwen
Gwen Kelly

m...

Old August 23rd 03, 06:00 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Pam,

I used to love knitting the Mary Maxim patterns too, just don't knit as much
now, but do crochet. In fact if I had a choice I would rather knit with more
than one color, even with all the bobbins to me it just went faster.

Nora
Old August 28th 03, 12:22 AM
Knitterbugs

Hi Nora;

I agree. There's something about following a graph, and changing colors that
make things seem faster. :-)

~Pam