Ideas for children - crafty

Old September 16th 03, 09:58 PM
Janner

Default Ideas for children - crafty

I'm after crafty ideas for children aged 8+9 yrs old. I 'volunteered' (?)
to help teach and do sewing with DD's class.

At the mo, thinking about 12" squares between 2 of them, so they can design
and sew a local scene or collage it. Only problem, if they are doing it in
pairs, there may be a lot of sitting and waiting around. So I am after any
other ideas that you may have or even weblinks, so that they can check the
ideas out at school 1st. In class they are doing the local geography of our
village and forces of motion - so something that would link either of them
would be great. I have until next Tuesday to come up with something and
organise them!!!! Aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I thought of maybe x-stitch, but they did that last year. It has to be
cheap, relatively easy and have design scope to it - ie they work it out and
make it. They have limited supplies at school, but I can supply some
fabric, but they do have a sewing machine. It has to be sewn or fabric
related, as salt dough etc is to be done after Christmas.

Thanks
--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

---

Old September 16th 03, 10:44 PM
Janner

Me again! Just thought, a Christmas stocking might be a good idea - where
would I find a pattern or what size to make it?

Old September 17th 03, 12:17 AM
MerryStahel

What about coloring on blocks of fabric?

Have them make pictures then stitch sashings on, then put batt and backing and
they're done. Mini wall-hanging.

Merry
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old September 17th 03, 01:38 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:58:30 +0100, "Janner"
wrote:

[...]

How about embellishing with felt shapes and beads or sequins? I saw
some gloves that had bits of beads and sequins on at the store...
can't remember what they wanted for them, but more than it cost to
make. And apparently this is "in" this winter.
You could get some of those gloves that expand to fit any size of
hand - they're 99p a pair or something at Tesco - and they could cut
out shapes and stitch them on.
Mind, your stocking idea sounds good too. There is scope for
embellishment with that idea as well.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 17th 03, 02:10 AM
Kate Dicey

Janner wrote:

[...]

Have a look at the bags I did with this age group: on the web site under
the Teaching headder.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 17th 03, 05:00 PM
Johanna Gibson

wrote:

[...]

You might have already selected a project, but I saw an idea in
Australian Patchwork and Quilting, as I was leafing through one of my
latest issues today. It is simple shapes buttonhole appliqued onto
the sides of socks. The kids could all bring a pair of their own
socks (minimize cost) and you could provide the embellishment. ?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 17th 03, 09:40 PM
Nell Reynolds

How about THREE 12" squares between 2 kids? If they iron squares onto
freezer paper, it should keep the cloth unmoving so the kids can draw
pictures on their squares and color them with crayons. They will have one
for the quilt to be used for school and one for each of the 2 partners to
take home. The take-home squares can be machine hemmed to eliminate
raveling after they are colored.

Nell in Austin

Old September 18th 03, 10:04 AM
Janner

So far we are going to make panels of local scenes (geography lesson) and
christmas stockings and christmas panels! Think we are going to be busy!
--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

.. .

"Janner" wrote in message
I'm after crafty ideas for children aged 8+9 yrs old. I 'volunteered'

(?)

Old September 19th 03, 04:57 AM
NightMist

The cool thing about dedicated Christmas stockings, is they don't have
to fit anyones foot.

Just find a picture online and blow it up to whatever size you want,
or altenatively, trace around one that you have or have bought.
Make two fabric copies and sew them together and you have a basic
stocking. You can sew all kinds of embellishments onto them before
you stitch the halves together, just have the kids mark out the seam
allowance and tell them not to put anything in it or within , say an
eighth to a quarter inch of it. You might want to have them couch a
bit of yarn along a line and keep all the embellishments to the side
of the yarn line. That's what I did with the kids in the Christmas
craft class last year.

NightMist
This year I get the Kwanzaa kids and I'm planning to do wreaths of
fruits and vegetables, they made kinara last year.

"Janner" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Bloody Hell!!
I'm a sugar bowl!