I'm back!

Old August 25th 03, 11:15 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

Default I'm back!

Back from the Berkshires! Tanned, rested and ready. Learned a new-to-me
stretching technique called Active Isolated Stretching. It is FANTASTIC!
It's very gentle and amazingly effective. The key is the idea that holding
a stretched position more than a second or so is almost as bad as a bouncy,
ballistic stretch. As you hold, you trigger receptors that make the muscle
try to contract and fight the stretch. That causes muscle irritation, since
a muscle can't stretch well unless it's relaxed. Anyway, I can't remember
when I've felt so good, not even after a massage. I've been doing the
stretches every morning ever since the class. The renewed blood flow to the
head that I get by having a relaxed neck is downright energizing! Oh yeah,
I taught about 10 people to do kumihimo on slotted CDs while I was there.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old August 26th 03, 07:29 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:49:07 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

Wow...no wonder you did all this kumihimo, you were relaxed and streched
out, but only for one second. You have to tell is more about how to do
this. I do strech workouts all the time....but realy do not pay attention
to how long I hold it. Maybe on a breath in and out count....

That's about right. The idea is to breathe out during the stretch then
breathe in as you relax it but never hold it more than a second at the
extreme of the stretch, as in a so-called static stretch. Neither do you
bounce or fling as in a "ballistic" stretch. You only repeat 6-8 times,
never more than 10. I did a quick search last night and found lots of
interesting hits on "Active Isolated Stretching", some with very good photo
illustrations. There are a couple of books on it, too. The original author
is named Mattes but our teacher also recommended a book by Wharton.

Great to have you back and I hope you have an answer about the dyeing
(posted question) with procion MX,

I've tried it and failed, utterly, to get a wash-fast result. I'm about
ready to give up on any and all fiber-reactive dyes and just stick to
dyeing wool with acid dyes. I know it's me 'cause I've seen others get
great results, sometimes even using the same instructions I fail with.

Old August 26th 03, 07:58 PM
Aud

I sort of *feel* it, when you talk about relaxed neck ! I tried a google,
an got thousands of sites on that very sentence, so it must be popular?
I have never heard about it here, may be they call it something quite
different.
I am going to start my training sept.1.. well,
I hope I will be happy with it, as YOU are, Helen/Halla! (which name do you
normally use? ;-))
AUD :-))
--

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" skrev i melding

Old August 28th 03, 04:44 AM
Katherine Burgess

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote...
|, "Katherine Burgess" wrote:

Great to see you, Helen, and to hear that you have learned a new skill.

Tell
us more.
Katherine

Did a yahoo search on "active isolated stretching" and came up with lots
of cool web sites, some with great photos. They probably explain it

better
than I can. Anyway, I can say they're very effective for me and are

keeping
my muscles out of spasm very nicely.

Well, I am going to have a look AND a try! Thanks for telling us about it.
Katherine

Back of the work Alison in OH Needlework 5 November 29th 04 07:08 PM
back home again CNYstitcher Quilting 3 February 9th 04 03:09 PM
I'm back -- and the stash is safe! ;) -- somewhat OT Sandy Foster Quilting 6 January 15th 04 07:02 PM
Back from Florida! Is on topic too. AliceW Quilting 5 November 13th 03 01:33 PM
OT- back from the southwest :D alia Beads 6 September 9th 03 08:03 PM