Crochet sculpture article

Old June 16th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Crochet sculpture article

Hi,

Below's an article from a blind yarners group. David

Crochet "Sculptor" Nathan Vincent: Breaking Down the Barriers of
Traditional Gender Permissions

Recently,
Gwen
Blakley
Kinsler,
founder
of
the
Crochet
Guild of
America, e-mailed me about a fascinating crochet artist, Nathan
Vincent, whose work she saw featured in a catalog for a
traveling needle arts exhibition. Gwen wrote the following
article about this "out-of-the-box" artisan's unique approach to
his work as a crochet "sculptor," and Nathan generously provided
the accompanying photographs.

- advertisement -

Nathan Vincent
By Gwen Blakley Kinsler
In a relatively short time, Nathan Vincent has achieved success by
returning to crochet and pursuing skills he learned as a ten year
old.
Since 2004, he has begun to explore the attributes of crochet and
has
shown his work in several nationally acclaimed exhibits.
I first saw his work in the catalog for the national traveling
exhibition,
"Twist & Shout, the New Needle Arts," an initiative of The National
Needle
Arts Association organized by the Florida Craftsmen. This exhibit
will be
traveling throughout the country through August 30, 2007. Nathan
Vincent
is representative of the other artists in this exhibit, 26 percent
of
which are crocheters. One of the artists features knitted works,
but is
also a crocheter.
After earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts from State University of New
York at
Purchase in 2004, Nathan originally did painting with embroidery.
Looking
back, he says, "I was having difficulty getting my message across.
wanted to do sculptural work but it wasn't working with fabric. I
wanted
to continue with a 'feminine' process and found that knitting did
not fill
the bill. With a little experimenting, I realized that I could do
sculpture much easier and faster with crochet."
Nathan goes on to say, "I am interested in what society expects men
and
women to do. My work explores gender permissions and the challenges
that
arise from straying from the prescribed norms. I create 'masculine
objects' using the 'feminine process' of crochet. Crochet lends
itself
very well to this theme as it is thought of as traditionally
women's
work.
It also is a soft and feminine style of creativity. The sculpting
process
of crochet is non-traditional and allows me to draw attention to
the
challenges of defining gender identities. My work focuses on the
contradiction between medium and subject matter. The objects were
inspired
by memories of attempts to be masculine. Men in my life spent their
time
in the garage with tools getting greasy and doing heavy duties."
Nathan further explains, "By crocheting the objects linked to
masculinity,
I believe I am breaking down the barriers of traditional gender
permissions. The objects, no longer rough and manly, are soft and
inviting. They evoke the feminine."

Boxing
Gloves

Cigars

Lawn mower

Recliner and TV
Nathan has found that using sizes H and J crochet hooks work best
for him.
He has begun to branch out and explore the many textural yarns
available
to him and says, "I look for the yarns that fit what I am trying to
convey
in a particular piece."
Nathan is not real familiar with crochet books, magazines or the
Guild. He
says he prefers not to be influenced by what other crocheters are
doing.
"I just create as I go," explains Nathan. "I don't write
instructions for
my artwork, but I can read them. When I have an idea such as the
"Men's
Bathroom" sign in filet crochet, I find a book and study the
technique."
When asked how he sees crochet fitting into the world of Fine Arts
today,
he answered, "We have a more open, pluralistic society today in the
art
world. I think the concept of crochet as sculpture is so new that
people
are enamored by it. Many people connect to my work because they
have
done
a little crochet at some time in their life or have seen family
members
doing it for years. Yet, they are surprised because I am taking
crochet to
a new level."
The theme of Nathan's works is so flexible he finds that his
creations are
fitting into many venues. Nathan says, "I am discovering that
especially
younger curators in their thirties are very excited about the
direction of
my art."
Nathan's work can be seen up close and personal at the following
exhibitions through August 30, 2007, and at his Web site at
www.nathanvincent.com.
May 7-July 9, 2006: Contemporary Arts Center of Virginia, No One
Knows
features Nathan's work, "The Lodge." In a time when America is
questioning
the very state of its security and privacy, No One Knows offers
reflection
on the subject. As people are inundated with the media's depiction
of
world events, their fears take on many forms -- paranoia, the idea
of "big
brother" or hatred for minority groups. The works in No One Knows
investigate how people cope with personal and community
uncertainties.
Twist & Shout:
June 5-June 19, 2006: Arts Garden,
Arts
Council of Indianapolis
September 17-October 29, 2006:
Ohio
Crafts Museum, Columbus
November 18-January 21, 2007: Reed
Whipple Cultural Center Gallery, Las
Vegas
July
19-August 30,
2007: Lincoln
Center, Ft.
Collins, CO

OT - Long - We The People Sherry Starr Quilting 18 September 5th 05 12:14 AM
Preemie hat patterns maryd Quilting 26 March 30th 05 08:11 PM
Crochenit? Crochet on a roll? Christine in Kent, Garden of England Yarn 4 March 18th 05 09:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM
FS: Old Time Crochet and a single Magic Crochet & Herrschner's CrochetPatterns Marilyn S. Safier Marketplace 0 September 25th 03 04:53 AM