Weight of Yarn

Old April 30th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Weight of Yarn

An individual wrote to me and is trying to replicate an afghan pattern
from the late 60s early 1970s. The suggested yarn was Bernat's
"Germantown" weight. Does anyone here know of this yarn and what could
be substituted?

Thank you so much.
Dianne
Old April 30th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Dianne,

I remember using that yarn back then and I would say, but I could be
wrong, that the Red Heart Supersaver yarn is the same weight.

HTH,

Nora

Old April 30th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Dianne,

I googled Bernat Germantown Yarn and came up with several things. One
was 100% Orlon Acrylic, around worsted weight or a little heavier.
There were several blends and a Baby Germantown. If the afghan is not
a baby afghan, a worsted acrylic is probably what is called for. Check
the gauge first.

Hesira

Old April 30th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

hesira wrote:
Dianne,

I googled Bernat Germantown Yarn and came up with several things. One
was 100% Orlon Acrylic, around worsted weight or a little heavier.
There were several blends and a Baby Germantown. If the afghan is not
a baby afghan, a worsted acrylic is probably what is called for. Check
the gauge first.

Hesira

Thank you so very much for your quick response. I never thought to
google it, as the afghan pattern was so old, I figured no one would have
a record anymore.

I will notify the woman who asked me. You're a gem!

Dianne

Old April 30th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
hesira wrote:
Dianne,

I googled Bernat Germantown Yarn and came up with several things. One
was 100% Orlon Acrylic, around worsted weight or a little heavier.
There were several blends and a Baby Germantown. If the afghan is not
a baby afghan, a worsted acrylic is probably what is called for. Check
the gauge first.

Hesira

Thank you so very much for your quick response. I never thought to
google it, as the afghan pattern was so old, I figured no one would have
a record anymore.

I will notify the woman who asked me. You're a gem!

Dianne

Dianne, I can confirm what Nora and Hesira said. It is listed as an acrylic
knitting worsted weight yarn on my 1971 interchangeable yarn chart.

--
Jan in MN

Old May 7th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
An individual wrote to me and is trying to replicate an afghan pattern
from the late 60s early 1970s. The suggested yarn was Bernat's
"Germantown" weight. Does anyone here know of this yarn and what
could be substituted?

Sorry this is so late. Worsted weight should work.

Higs,
Katherine

Two-tone 8 metre flower to knit Penny Gaines Yarn 14 May 15th 05 05:59 PM
Dealing with left over yarn Yarn 31 January 19th 05 07:15 PM
"Karats" measured by weight or volume? Don A. Gilmore Jewelry 13 November 9th 04 02:09 AM
Stash Sale Ranee Mueller Yarn 10 July 19th 04 03:28 AM
Lace weight yarn news.sonic.net Yarn 2 December 21st 03 05:34 AM