another Fireline question

Old March 16th 04, 03:39 PM
Pandi

Default another Fireline question

Is there a comparison chart? for ex: If I don't have 6lb test Fireline what
weight or size in another line is comparible?
Thanks guys for helping out a newbie

Old March 16th 04, 05:41 PM
roxan

You can't use just any fishing line, FireLine is what you need to use. There
is PowerPro but it isn't the same thing. I use 4, 6 or 10 test FireLine,
much bigger and you can't get it through a 12 needle. If you want to just
string bigger beads for a necklace you can use a bigger test line and not
use a needle.
Roxan

Old March 16th 04, 05:48 PM
starlia

There really isn't an alternative. Once you find Fireline then you'll
understand why. I tried the same thing.

I had to order my Fireline from Bass Pro Shop. Our local Walmart only had
the 8 pound test, but down the road they had the 6 pound test. I didn't
know that until after I ordered from BPS. Anyhow, I'm glad I tried it and I
won't be using anything else for weaving or stringing.

Old March 17th 04, 12:32 AM
Kaytee

In article , "starlia"
writes:

There really isn't an alternative. Once you find Fireline then you'll
understand why. I tried the same thing.

Spiderwire (not their "super mono"), Power Pro and a housebrand for Cabela's
are made with the same material. The braided lines are stronger per # test than
the "fused" GSP lines, and therefore are thinner for the same "weight".
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old March 17th 04, 02:26 PM
Pandi

"roxan" wrote in message
You can't use just any fishing line, FireLine is what you need to use.

There
is PowerPro but it isn't the same thing. I use 4, 6 or 10 test FireLine,
much bigger and you can't get it through a 12 needle. If you want to just
string bigger beads for a necklace you can use a bigger test line and not
use a needle.
Roxan

Acttually, I think I miswrote the question. I ment compared to c-lon,
beadalon and the other beading threads not fishing lines, how do I know what
is equal to or comparable to a 6lb test? Does every line have a 6lber or do
I have to just use my jusgement on what feels similar if I can't get
fireline.

Old March 17th 04, 03:07 PM
roxan

Well I doubt whether any nylon thread would hold 6 pounds without breaking.
You are trying to compare apple to oranges. There is no comparison to
FireLine in nylon thread that I know of, this stuff in almost unbreakable.
The only thing I can think of that would may be hold 6 pound would be Nymo D
which is heavier but it still frays. Beadalon has a stringing wire similar
to SoftTouch stringing wire which is coated, but you have to be more
specific when you are asking about comparing products. Both SoftTouch and
Beadalon wire can't be put through a small needle since it can be strung
without one. I hope this answered your question.
Roxan

Old March 17th 04, 07:15 PM
Dr. Sooz

Does every line have a 6lber or do
I have to just use my jusgement on what feels similar if I can't get
fireline.

Why can't you get Fireline?

http://snipurl.com/55oj

http://snipurl.com/3yjl

http://snipurl.com/55oh

Shipwreck Beads:
http://snipurl.com/55om
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 17th 04, 07:21 PM
Dr. Sooz

FIRELINE
I've been using FireLine pretty much exclusively lately, and I'm very happy
with it. The initial stiffness in necklaces and bracelets softens after a bit
of wear, and the stuff seems pretty much indestructible. Of course, I'm only
using this for bead weaving projects, for stringing, I still prefer SoftFlex or
Soft Touch in the smallest diameters (0.10?).

However, I've been worrying a bit about rumblings I heard that these Spectra
(or Dyneema, the generic name outside the US, AFAICT) fibers break down in
sunlight. I spent a productive half hour this evening checking out the
claims. The best sites were those that cater to fly fishermen, because casting
strength is imperative in that situation.

Turns out that these lines do not degrade in sunlight or in salt water, that's
how they're designed. The smoke gray color does fade, which is a bonus, in my
book. It's pretty invisible in any case.

Also, the line does not cut itself, unlike Kevlar thread. I suspected this was
the case because it would be pretty useless for fishing otherwise. It is
designed not to stretch at all, which is my experience.

Interestingly, the fiber is made of recycled milk bottles, mostly, and is
neither braided nor a monofilament. It's like a teeny weeny rope, woven around
a solid core of the same material.

I feel much better now. I was quite concerned my stuff would fall apart in
sunlight, and now I know that won't happen.

BTW, I buy my line from a fishing supply store. It's an order of magnitude
cheaper than the "special" Power Pro being sold in bead stores. The bead store
reels are only 28 yards, which is like, what? A day's worth of thread? I buy
the 300 yard reels, which is a much cheaper. As a bonus, I get on every
fishing catalog mailing list in existence. Woo-hoo, now I can find out how to
"get the big ones!" The only thing that will cut Power Pro is Fiskar's
children's scissors. Same goes for any other hard-to-cut line, such as
Spiderline, etc.

Somewhat dependant on "weight", but Fireline at KMart is $13/150 yds for the
10#; same for Spiderwire (both are braided lines); Spiderline Fusion (same
fibers, not braided) is $7/150 yds. According to the package insert, the 24#
test line has 120 strands of Spectra fibers, fused together; the Fusion is for
those who prefer a limper line that knots easily; the braided lines are a bit
thinner for a given test weight. Both are "near-zero stretch", even when wet
(compared to up to 20% for monofilament).

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old March 17th 04, 10:27 PM
Pandi

"Kathy N-V"
Take a look at the Bead Notes - I compared a whole slew of threads, and
listed their relative merits a while ago. :-)

Kathy N-V

Where do I find these Bead notes? I'm on a news server, it only saves a
certain amount of messages.

Question on lampwork beads Cheryl Beads 18 February 19th 04 05:07 AM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM