SPEAKING OF COPYING

Old March 10th 04, 06:16 PM
Christina Peterson

For that matter, we could do a class action sort of complaint and all land
on her with both feet. Can you tell me the correct way to go about this?

Tina

"roxan" wrote in message
This is a complete attempt to deceive by using the same name and copying

the
piece in the same color and design. Shame on her for being so dishonest. I
hope you friend writes ebay to get her to at least change the name.
Roxan
"BeckiBead" wrote in message
Speaking of copying....this is so blatent, but I don't think there is

anything
she can do about it. It makes me sick.

Here is my girl Janis's work (godessofcraft on ebay), which you have

seen
many
times because I post it often:

Here is the copycat. She even stole her NAME:

Does anyone else think this is disgusting, or is it just me?

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the

crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows

Old March 10th 04, 06:20 PM
Dr. Sooz

The good news is that the bracelet in question has been listed three
different times and has not sold - even when she listed it at $9.99. So
hopefully customers are not falling for the ruse.

Yeah -- I noticed that.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 10th 04, 07:03 PM
Magik

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
The good news is that the bracelet in question has been listed three
different times and has not sold - even when she listed it at $9.99. So
hopefully customers are not falling for the ruse.

The first listing ran only 4 days before the seller ended it, the second was
ended by the seller after one day and relisted as the current 10-day
auction. So she has been trying to sell this bracelet for only 6 days so
far, and wasting listing fees in the process.

--
Tanya
http://gallery.putercom.org/jewelry

Old March 10th 04, 07:29 PM
Michele Goudie

"BeckiBead" wrote in message
Speaking of copying....this is so blatent, but I don't think there is

anything
she can do about it. It makes me sick.

Here is my girl Janis's work (godessofcraft on ebay), which you have seen

many
times because I post it often:

Here is the copycat. She even stole her NAME:

Does anyone else think this is disgusting, or is it just me?

VERO should be able to assist in this, since your friend can easily prove
she was the first person on Ebay with that name, style, etc.

I would also post this over at alt.marketing.online.ebay and ask for
opinions as well if you haven't already.

Michele

Old March 10th 04, 08:23 PM
lgreene

she may have copied the elements or not...likely she did, but as i posted
earlier, there are bracelets here in Beantown that horror of horrors, are
using many of the same elements...flowers from the Karen Hill Tribe, rose
quartz, sterling dragonflies, etc. I even have some of the same beads, the
exact toggle and make charm bracelets...so I guess I am not allowed to
continue to use them in my bracelets, nor should any other artist. I know
that there are truly original things, that *someone* had to invent a
particular style or technique, but the truly original things seem to be
truly few and far between. I admire those of you who come up with something
truly unique...my designs are based on ancient pieces for the most
part...with a twist. Does the other seller have it with a twist? At first
glance, no. But that doesn't mean that she isn't allowed to sell her work.
It's hoped that she might develop her own style AND NAME at some point, but
that may never happen.

How do we know that Janis didn't copy someone else's style? I'm not saying
she did, I'm just playing devil's advocate, and I don't want anyone to think
that I'm casting any aspersions (sp), just that it's a charm
bracelet...people make charms out of different things and have since time
began. As I posted earlier, in a book (which probably has not yet been
unpacked from my move), about Hollywood jewelry, there is a bracelet which
has very similar elements. I will look for it and post the pic...soon.
(It'll give me incentive to get those boxes of books unpacked). There are
two famous artists (so famous I've forgotten their names) who make jewelry
out of "trash" and the styles are quite similar. What makes them different
is that there is no attempt to capitalize on the other's differences and
names.

my biggest bone of contention is the obvious play on goddessofcraft's
name...but i guess to quote you "just didn't look closely enough" at my
message. That's a tough nut to crack, but ebay will look into it. As she
has obviously changed her name and made the piece so as to confuse buyers,
ebay will not look lightly on it. The change and the bracelet were made to
deceive...probably. S/he sold bracelets before, but it was so long ago,
that we can't see what they looked like.

It's the PMS, it's the PMS....I play devil's advocate so much more when I
have it....
lg

"BeckiBead" wrote in message
No, it wasn't the copying of the style of the bracelet, but if you didn't

catch
that she was copying everything about Janis's auctions, including the
composition of the elements of the bracelet, then you just didn't look

closely
enough.

Old March 10th 04, 08:25 PM
lgreene

as I said in my original post...it is about the name not about the design.

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
This is a good point. The issue I think is more about the name than the
jewelry, because this type of bracelet is really popular. Also, the
imitator went out of her way to make the auctions look very very similar.
If she had done all this **without** the name change, she might have a leg
to stand on. But not with the name change, in my view.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Interesting. There are beautiful bracelets very,very similar to these

in
some of the great little stores in Boston and according to the hangtags,
they are made by an artist in the area. The concept of these chunky

charm
bracelets is not new, not original I saw a great one owned by Gene

Tierney
in a jewelry book.

Obviously, the blatant "capitalization" is on the name of

"goddessofcraft".
But to think that others don't and can't do bracelets like that is
"cwazytalk" as my nephew says.

I'd go after the i.d. and see if there isn't anything to be done (likely
not) and then, if there is, grab up all the similar names...sort of like
what you do with a domain name.

"Marisa Cappetta" wrote in

message
I had the *good* fortune to catch a fellow jeweller blatantly offering

make a customer a ring using my original design. I tore strips off

her.
She
was very embarrassed and turned the customer over to me. At the very

least
can Janis phone or email and express her disgust? Perhaps let her know

that
those who know better are not fooled.

Other than that all I can say is...Karma.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
http://www.galleryvittoria.com

Venus.
'The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen'

Old March 10th 04, 08:34 PM
lgreene

"DreamBeadr" wrote in message
Does anyone else think this is disgusting, or is it just me?

And in my world, it not only shows a lack of imagination and talent, but

also a
lack of morals and self esteem.

I will be writing an email to Janis's copier letting her know that I am

ashamed
of her.

I just did this. I did not, however, say anything about being ashamed. I
merely asked her if she were trying in anyway to capitalize on the good name
of goddessofcraft, since the items are almost identical and the names are so
similar. I said nothing about her "copying" the bracelet, 'cause for me,
that's not the issue. Copy away...but do not try to capitalize on someone
else's good name. *That* is what I mentioned. That if she is not trying to
do so, then why not keep her original ebay name, or change it to something
less similar? I am eager to see her response. I also just wrote to ebay to
ask about the deliberate attempt to deceive. Again, as I said in my earlier
posts, the copying is probably the least of it...it's the deliberate attempt
to decieve the buyer.

The more of us who do not stand back quietly and allow this kind of

behaviour
to happen, the sooner it will change.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old March 10th 04, 08:37 PM
lgreene

how can she prove she was the first one on ebay with this style? ebay's
been around for quite some time.

the id, certainly is hers, but i'm not sure that there's a way to prove that
the style is "the first".

"Michele Goudie" wrote in message

"BeckiBead" wrote in message
Speaking of copying....this is so blatent, but I don't think there is

anything
she can do about it. It makes me sick.

Here is my girl Janis's work (godessofcraft on ebay), which you have

seen
many
times because I post it often:

Here is the copycat. She even stole her NAME:

Does anyone else think this is disgusting, or is it just me?

VERO should be able to assist in this, since your friend can easily prove
she was the first person on Ebay with that name, style, etc.

I would also post this over at alt.marketing.online.ebay and ask for
opinions as well if you haven't already.

Michele

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old March 10th 04, 08:45 PM
Kandice Seeber

Right. I was agreeing with you.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old March 10th 04, 08:58 PM
roxan

I think it is a question of her name that is the main issue. Charm bracelets
aren't original but she copied it almost bead for bead and even the exact
color.
Roxan

WC again on Copying starlia Beads 42 March 6th 04 08:36 PM
OT -- Speaking of chocolate... Lee S. Billings Beads 7 February 19th 04 06:10 AM
Speaking of Trapped In A Bead...... Jalynne Beads 13 September 26th 03 11:57 PM
OT Speaking of losing things.....was Now, this is annoying! Dr. Sooz Beads 19 September 15th 03 10:45 PM