Thank You Mystery Knitter, and yes, i'm still alive

Old April 25th 04, 01:00 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Katherine wrote:
Richard Eney wrote:
Katherine wrote:
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

I know people who are NOT lactose intolerant, yet now, with ulcers,
the advice of the past, milk, milk, milk to ease the ulcers... does
NOT work for them.... it makes them *worse*.

I'll vouch for that, Noreen! My father had horrendous ulcers as a
result of swallowing oily water when his ship was torpedoed in WW
II, and he floated around for hours before being picked up. Milk
used to cause him to suffer agonies, and that was what the dr
prescribed whenever his tummy acted up. It was not until years later
that some wise dr told him to avoid dairy products.

They used to think ulcers were caused by acid stomach, but now they
know it's an infection: Helicobacter pylori or something like that.
Antibiotics can get rid of it.

And meanwhile, my father suffered agonies for years.

Yes, physical damage from various causes (such as taking too much vitamin
C on an empty stomach like a man I knew, or swallowing oil, like your
father) is a whole other cause of ulcers. It's too bad the standard
advice was so wrong for your father. The H.pylori is a relatively new
discovery; I know a few people who have had it diagnosed and they are more
comfortable now that the bug is gone and their stomachs have healed.

My father had to swim from his ship to another ship in WWII but he was
lucky and apparently didn't swallow any oily water. (He hated cheese but
he still liked ice cream.)

=Tamar
Old April 25th 04, 07:09 AM
Els van Dam

In article b3oic.29797$ab3.26257@fed1read02, "Allaya Diep"
wrote:

Doesn't this sound horrible? I WISH it was her ears! But no...she's
actually a very healthy baby...never gets sick. It's just her poor tummy.
She was diagnosed with acid reflux about a week after she was born. It gets
pretty bad sometimes, because it causes her to stop breathing sometimes.
I'm fortunate though that she's a spitter, so the apnea incidents are very
rare, but it still gives me a heart attack!

I finally convinced DD's pedi to increase the dose of her medication a week
ago, and I think it's finally working. It's pretty amazing...you
practically have to chew somebody's arm off in order to get meds increased.
*sigh* Good thing I can do simple math...I figured out her new dose all by
myself! LOL

Allaya

Allaya, reflux must be scary thing in a baby. It is miserable enough when
you are an aduld and you suffer from GERT, but a tiny baby suffering from
it, is no fun.

Although when we were doing our reading and research on Aysia's colic
attacs, reflux was mentioned as well, and also that it is not all that
uncommon., and that most always it will dissapear given it time. Still
all these upsets are not easy to deal with when it is a baby that is
suffering from it. Hope it all will sort itself out for both of you.
Aysia is not doing to badly now, but has started to fuss and drool...We
think she is starting to teeth......the future looks like just a long
string of upsets untill they move out....LOL

Take care and strength for all of you with the reflux,

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old April 25th 04, 01:34 PM
Katherine

Richard Eney wrote:
In article ,
Katherine wrote:
Richard Eney wrote:
Katherine wrote:
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

[...]

Daddy liked all dairy products, and thought he was doing the right thing by
eating/drinking them. In those days, you didn't question what the dr said.

Katherine

Old April 25th 04, 08:54 PM
Allaya Diep

LOL! I have green milk too. I thought it was from all the salad and
spinach I eat...

Allaya

"Helen Halla Fleischer" wrote in message
Friend of mine went to a garlic festival while nursing. Ate enough garlic
that she swore it turned her milk green, but the kid loved it.

| On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:41:17 -0300, "Katherine"

wrote:

enigma wrote:

actually, i've seen studies that indicate that babies
normally get thier introduction to local cuisine flavors
through breastmilk. IOW, a toddler from India is already 'used
to' the flavors of curries, etc because hir breastmilk already
contained those flavors, while a toddler from Iowa may very
well reject Indian food because they aren't used to the
flavor. i used this to explain why my 10 month old was
sloshing green Tobasco on everything...

LOL

Katherine

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Old April 25th 04, 10:18 PM
Katherine

Allaya Diep wrote:
LOL! I have green milk too. I thought it was from all the salad and
spinach I eat...

Mine had a bluish tint.

Katherine

Old April 26th 04, 12:17 PM
Chris Bailey

I just re-read my earlier comment and realized it was a
"bit"(understatement) snippy. I am sorry it wasn't intended to be.
Chris

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
"Chris Bailey" wrote:

No offense, but the backwater country folk use onion tea as a remedy for
colic. It eases the stomach and helps the child relax. My mom got the
recipe from her relatives and most of them did not have a doctor around

that
they could get to for every little thing. I know at least 5 generations

of
my family have used it on their children and none have problems.
Chris

Chris, great that it worked for the babies in your family, but that does
not mean it will work for all babies. Each child is different.

Els

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article

,
"Chris Bailey" wrote:

It's not really a recipe but you take an onion, peeled and cut in

half,
boil
it in water till the onion is soft. Add sugar, stir well, strain,

cool
and
serve in the little ones bottle. Since I take it you're

breastfeeding,
assume you could adjust the sugar to taste(that's all it's there

for),
and
enjoy!

Chris

It may be wise to be prudent with the unions while breast feeding,

that is
one of the things that will give our little grand baby colick. The

public
Health nurse named unions as one of the first things to eliminate from
your diet when breast feeding and having a colicky baby. The same

nurse
also mentioned reflux happens in babies as well. she told Michelle

that
if that was the problem it would disappear give it time.

Hope you get the problem licked soon

Els

Old April 27th 04, 03:30 AM
Katherine

Chris Bailey wrote:
I just re-read my earlier comment and realized it was a
"bit"(understatement) snippy. I am sorry it wasn't intended to be.

See what a nice group we are? We apologise even when we just THINK we have
made a mistake. Sounds like Canadians. g

Katherine (A Canadian who has apologised to mannequins. g)

Old April 27th 04, 04:05 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Chris Bailey wrote:
I just re-read my earlier comment and realized it was a
"bit"(understatement) snippy. I am sorry it wasn't intended to be.

See what a nice group we are? We apologise even when we just THINK we have
made a mistake. Sounds like Canadians. g

Katherine (A Canadian who has apologised to mannequins. g)

Ohhh Katherine it must have been a great handsome one.....I can relate to
that thought....although grinning from ear to ear.

I once started to talk to a lady bundled up in a Eddy Bauer parka with a
muffler around her neck, you could barely see her face. I scared myself
half to death when I realized it was me I was talking to in a mirror.
This was at Christmas time, in the Toronto Cook bookstore on Yonge
Street. It was very busy in the store and I totally missed that there was
a mirror next to the bookcase. Another time, while I was still working,
I walked into an elevator, in a brand new building downtown Toronto. A
lady, who looked so like my mother stepped inside at the same time as I
did. My mother had been dead for over 10 years, and I was really happy
for just one moment. Again it was a mirror and again I was seeing myself.

LOL
els

--
spammers not welcome
Old April 27th 04, 04:21 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:30:19 -0300, Katherine wrote:

Chris Bailey wrote:
I just re-read my earlier comment and realized it was a
"bit"(understatement) snippy. I am sorry it wasn't intended to be.

See what a nice group we are? We apologise even when we just THINK we have
made a mistake. Sounds like Canadians. g

Katherine (A Canadian who has apologised to mannequins. g)

OMG, when Christy was about 9 yrs. old, SHE apologized to a mannequin!
Then, the *really funny part.... she was so flustered when she realized her
mistake, that she ran into a nun... and said....
Holy sXit!!
LOLOL!
Noreen
BTW, she was NOT allowed to say that word at 9! But who couldn't laugh?
Including the nun, when *I* apologized!

--
~ ~ ~
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/

[...]