Thank You Mystery Knitter, and yes, i'm still alive

Old April 24th 04, 03:13 AM
norma woods

I just had a thought. When my daughter was born, she would cry for hours and
the doctor said it was a bit of colic. After three weeks I insisted that he
look at her again. Turns out both ears were infected. Antibiotics did trick!
Has her ears been ruled out?

--
Star love,
Norma
"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article , Ranee
Mueller wrote:

In article ,
(Els van Dam) wrote:

It may be wise to be prudent with the unions while breast feeding,

that is
one of the things that will give our little grand baby colick. The

public
Health nurse named unions as one of the first things to eliminate from
your diet when breast feeding and having a colicky baby. The same

nurse
also mentioned reflux happens in babies as well. she told Michelle

that
if that was the problem it would disappear give it time.

With all due respect, this is one of those old wives tales. Onions
may cause problems, but so may anything else. It is usually better to
keep eating as normal unless you find that there is something that
causes a problem. I ate hot peppers, onions, garlic, cabbage,
everything you can think of while nursing all the boys (and now Amira)
and the only thing to ever cause any trouble for any of them was turkey
with Alexander for about 3 months. After 3 months, it didn't bother him
any more. I figured something about his system needed to mature.

I don't think that women in India, China or wherever simply stop
eating their national dishes because they are worried that onions or
whatever will harm their nursing babies.

Regards,
Ranee

Hello Ranee,

You are lucky that you did not have any problems with stomach upsets, and
throwing up babies, and above all crying and screaming babies, because
they suffered from colick. By the way so was I, I had never any problems
while our children were babies.

However that does not mean that all babies born have no colick problems.
When you have a baby that cries for hours on end after feeding, it is wise
to look at what can be done about this problem, for everyone sanity.
Colick is a widespread problem and most of the time goes away when the
baby gets a bit older. Indeed very new babies have a very short digestive
system and thus not a lot of time to digest some food stuffs....indeed
even in breast milk Even so, mother and baby need their rest.

When Michelle just arrived here 4 weeks ago, little Aysia, then two months
old, would cry bitterly for long times after each breast feeding. We
would walk with her sing to her, burb her etc, not much helped.
When Michelle went to the baby clinick run by the Public Health system
here on the Island, she was told to first start with not consuming milk
that was not cooked (even though our milk is pasturized) Other sources of
problems with breast milk are indeed onions and the whole onion
family...leeks, garlack, etc . I would not call these old maid tales.
For sure when my family eats onions the reactions to this vegetable by
each of my family member are very different.....LOL. Maybe you do not
have any digestive reactions to different foods, Lucky you. Garlic for
one, as much as I love it, gives me terrible headaches.

So it is not strange at all that all what the mother eats is absorbed in
the breast milk, this by the way, also includes alcohol, and medicines.
Babies will react to what the mother eats, this is realistic knowlege
taught to new mother by their healthcare givers. Thus it is important
that the mother eats well and also drinks lots of liqueds
Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....

Old April 24th 04, 03:15 AM
Katherine

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
I've been following this thread with interest, and now have to jump
in with a couple of 2 center's...
I know people who are NOT lactose intolerant, yet now, with ulcers,
the advice of the past, milk, milk, milk to ease the ulcers... does
NOT work for them.... it makes them *worse*.

I'll vouch for that, Noreen! My father had horrendous ulcers as a result of
swallowing oily water when his ship was torpedoed in WW II, and he floated
around for hours before being picked up. Milk used to cause him to suffer
agonies, and that was what the dr prescribed whenever his tummy acted up. It
was not until years later that some wise dr told him to avoid dairy
products.

Hugs,
Katherine

Old April 24th 04, 03:16 AM
Katherine

Allaya Diep wrote:
LOL! Yes, this is true...a doc (not DD's usual pedi) told me that it
might be a soy allergy. I looked at her dumbfounded..."She's
CHINESE," I said, "If she's allergic to soy, she'll starve!" Just
had to interject that story. hehehehe (DD has no allergies,
fortunately)

ROTFL!!!

Katherine

Old April 24th 04, 03:25 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:15:52 -0300, Katherine wrote:

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
I've been following this thread with interest, and now have to jump
in with a couple of 2 center's...
I know people who are NOT lactose intolerant, yet now, with ulcers,
the advice of the past, milk, milk, milk to ease the ulcers... does
NOT work for them.... it makes them *worse*.

I'll vouch for that, Noreen! My father had horrendous ulcers as a result of
swallowing oily water when his ship was torpedoed in WW II, and he floated
around for hours before being picked up. Milk used to cause him to suffer
agonies, and that was what the dr prescribed whenever his tummy acted up. It
was not until years later that some wise dr told him to avoid dairy
products.

Hugs,
Katherine

Katherine...
Totally different topic here now..... wondering, did your father serve for
Canada, the US, or Great Brittain?
And then, another curiousity thing... you *know* how I am about Vet's
issues.... is there any place anywhere in CA where things can be donated to
the Veterans?
Hugs,
Noreen
who has sent up a salute of honor to your Dad

--
http://www.freewebs.com/knitche/
~ ~ ~
http://www.mailermailer.com/x?oid=17981f
(to sign up for my NewsLetter!)
~ ~ ~
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
http://www.mblog.com/noreens_knitche
http://noreensknitche.ceejaycee.net
~ ~ ~
http://www.hostultra.com/~knitche
http://www.sharemation.com/knitche
http://fire.prohosting.com/knitche
http://mail2office.tripod.com/noreensknitche
~ ~ ~
http://mail2office.tripod.com/musings
http://noreens-knitche.blogspot.com
~ ~ ~
change n e t to c o m to email me.
Old April 24th 04, 03:32 AM
Katherine

norma woods wrote:
I just had a thought. When my daughter was born, she would cry for
hours and the doctor said it was a bit of colic. After three weeks I
insisted that he look at her again. Turns out both ears were
infected. Antibiotics did trick! Has her ears been ruled out?

Definitely something to think about, Norma.
Hugs,
Katherine

Old April 24th 04, 03:36 AM
Katherine

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Noreen. My dad was in the Royal Navy - Great Britain. You may not
know, but in WW I, Newfoundland was its own country, with its own Regiment,
hundreds of whom were slaughtered in the Battle of Beaumont Hamel. By the
time WW II came along, Newfoundland no longer was a country, and thousands
of Newfoundlanders joined the forces of other coutries - mainly Great
Britain, although some went with Canada and others with the States. Wherever
they fought, they acquitted themselves with honour and pride.
You know, I miss my dad. I was always his little girl, even after I turned
30. g
Yes, there are places which accept donations for veterans. Remind me via
e-mail, and I'll get some addresses for you.
Hugs,
Katherine

Old April 24th 04, 04:54 AM
Els van Dam

In article PDiic.29048$ab3.20504@fed1read02, "Allaya Diep"
wrote:

LOL! Yes, this is true...a doc (not DD's usual pedi) told me that it might
be a soy allergy. I looked at her dumbfounded..."She's CHINESE," I said,
"If she's allergic to soy, she'll starve!" Just had to interject that
story. hehehehe (DD has no allergies, fortunately)

Allaya

Allaya, it would be really trouble if your DD had an allergy to soy, I can
see that.

When our grand daughters were born , each time the nurses, the family Dr
and her pediatrician, warned our daughter about giving small babies any
kind of soy products. Soy is high on the list next to peanuts as the cause
of allergies, and sometimes it can even be fatal, so it is not a laughing
matter. Certainly not when soy is the top crop in the world over any
other one. Also since soy, is so cheap, it is more and more used in all
kinds of manufactured products. Whereas before wheat was used, now you
will find bread, cookies, crackers etc, have part or total soy flour in
them. Most likely great for people with an allergy to wheat, not so great
though when soy is the culprit. I guess it just depends on what you are,
or are not allergic to

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old April 24th 04, 04:55 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:
snip
So it is not strange at all that all what the mother eats is absorbed
in the breast milk, this by the way, also includes alcohol, and
medicines. Babies will react to what the mother eats, this is
realistic knowlege taught to new mother by their healthcare givers.
Thus it is important that the mother eats well and also drinks lots
of liqueds

When my ALec was an infant, I could not eat cabbage, as he used to get
horrible cramps. However, I was told by my dr to drink Guinness, as he said
it would make my mild more nourishing for the baby. ALec is now 6'2", so I
guess it worked. g
Katherine

I like that one....LOL, does he has a liking for Guinness now......

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old April 24th 04, 04:59 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:

I have seen different with Michelle here and let me tell you a baby
that cries for hours on end is stressfull for mother and baby.

Els,
That is stressful for EVERYBODY!!! Been there, done that, and don't want to
go there again! Ever!!!

Hugs,
Katherine

Yes it is, but it is so sad to see that you can't do anything about and
also to see Michelle so pooped and tired. Lucky when Michelle did keep a
list of what she ate and made some adjustments, all went for the better.
Aysia and Mom are doing fine. Both are sleeping much better, and even
though Oma is still busy, she is a happier camper as well. Opa was never
bothered by any of it.....(grinning, he was never bothered by it when our
kids were small either)

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....