Thread Substitution

Old January 29th 04, 02:48 AM
Jacqueline Cahoon

Default Thread Substitution

I'm getting ready to place an order with Nordic Needle, and I need a substitute
for Au Ver A Soie's Soie de Paris. Does anyone know of one? I'm kitting up a
filet lace Christmas ornament that calls for this thread. TIA
Jacqueline in Carmichaels PA
WIPS TNTC
Remove SO2 to reply
Old January 29th 04, 02:40 PM
Beverly B

If you can find the Soie de Paris use it. I am using it now and finding it
very easy to work with and I love the richness of the color. I am pretty
sure I got mine from Needle in a Haystack
http://www.needlestack.com/index.html from whom I have had very good
service.
Beverly B

Old January 30th 04, 05:08 AM
CrossStitchGal

My copy of "The Thread Thesauras" says that Au Ver A Soi's Soie De Paris can be
converted strand for strand in terms of size equivalent with
Kreinik Silk Bella which is also a twisted filament silk.
HTH

--
Happy Stitching!
Kathy :-)
Old January 30th 04, 04:00 PM
Jacqueline Cahoon

My copy of "The Thread Thesauras" says that Au Ver A Soi's Soie De Paris can
be
converted strand for strand in terms of size equivalent with
Kreinik Silk Bella which is also a twisted filament silk.

"The Thread Thesaurus?" I've never heard of it, but I'm sure it's something I
can't live without :-) Where did you get your copy?

(And, thanks, that did help)

Old January 31st 04, 04:53 AM
CrossStitchGal

I got mine at my LNS. It has specific info about each type of fiber by all
manufacturers and gives the salient characteristics of each along with helpful
equivalency charts so that you can make substitutions between them. Here's a
link to an online source. No endorsement of the site or seller implied.

http://www.needlepoint.com/cgi-bin/n...hreadThesaurus

HTH!

--
Happy Stitching!
Kathy :-)
Old January 31st 04, 02:42 PM
Ellice

On 1/30/04 11:53 PM,"CrossStitchGal" posted:

I got mine at my LNS. It has specific info about each type of fiber by all
manufacturers and gives the salient characteristics of each along with helpful
equivalency charts so that you can make substitutions between them. Here's a
link to an online source. No endorsement of the site or seller implied.

http://www.needlepoint.com/cgi-bin/n...hreadThesaurus

Tagging on, this was the most recent book by Suzanne Howren and Beth
Robertson. They also wrote "Stitches for Effect" "More Stitches for Effect"
and "Even More Stitches for Effect" - all great references with nice stitch
diagrams, and information on suitable threads, uses for the stitches, gage,
etc. Along with Ann Caswell they teach, publish stuff as "The Thread
Technique Team" . They're very knowledgeable, and very nice - well known in
the NP world as teachers, designers, etc. I think Beth does the diagrams for
Needlepoint Now (the magazine).

The books are all 8.5" X 11" coil bound, paperback. Very useful - IMHO. The
Thread Thesaurus is great because it really gives you information in some
detail about all kinds of threads, specialty fibers, and a chart for
figuring equivalencies.

Don't get a kickback, do know the authors, and really like and use the
books.

Ellice

Old February 1st 04, 10:13 PM
Bob & Marg Whittleton

CrossStitchGal wrote:

My copy of "The Thread Thesauras" says that Au Ver A Soi's Soie De Paris can be
converted strand for strand in terms of size equivalent with
Kreinik Silk Bella which is also a twisted filament silk.
HTH

Wow - I had not heard of the Thread Thesaurus until this thread. And
then, (of course!) I was in my LNS yesterday and there was a copy!. I
just had to have it. The cost was $75 Cnd but it will be worth every
penny. (Note - prices on books of small publishing run where the owner
of the LNS has to bring in a few herself can get very high by the time
she pays the exchange and the duty).

Marg
(adding to her stash of needlework books)

Old February 2nd 04, 08:51 PM
Darla

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:13:31 -0500, Bob & Marg Whittleton
wrote:

CrossStitchGal wrote:

My copy of "The Thread Thesauras" says that Au Ver A Soi's Soie De Paris can be
converted strand for strand in terms of size equivalent with
Kreinik Silk Bella which is also a twisted filament silk.
HTH

Wow - I had not heard of the Thread Thesaurus until this thread. And
then, (of course!) I was in my LNS yesterday and there was a copy!. I
just had to have it. The cost was $75 Cnd but it will be worth every
penny. (Note - prices on books of small publishing run where the owner
of the LNS has to bring in a few herself can get very high by the time
she pays the exchange and the duty).

Marg
(adding to her stash of needlework books)

I hadn't either, but passed on it when I was at the NSLNS Saturday
cashing in the b-day discount card. I opted for the fabric I need for
a friend's baby sampler. Those of you looking for _The Thread
Thesaurus_: It's available at Needle and Frame in Newbury Park,
California.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.