Ot embroidering with shells , how does one make holes ?

Old January 16th 04, 07:38 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Ot embroidering with shells , how does one make holes ?

Has Anyone ever embroidered with shells ? and if so how can one make a
hole in a shell , to turn it into a 'Bead' ?
mirjam
Old January 16th 04, 11:59 AM
Bonnie

Mirjam,
I've never done it, but I would think a person would have to use a tiny
drill to make a hole in a shell.
--
Bonnie

Old January 16th 04, 12:16 PM
georg

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Has Anyone ever embroidered with shells ? and if so how can one make a
hole in a shell , to turn it into a 'Bead' ?
mirjam

Get a fine hand drill, and do it very carefully. I've done it before.

-georg

Old January 16th 04, 01:58 PM
Paula C. Hunter

This is how (call me lazy!)

http://www.firemountaingems.com/shop...WBDNBWHOLESHEL

Paula

Old January 16th 04, 02:29 PM
Becky

And when you are drilling the holes, wear a face mask, the dust of many
shells is toxic to breath.

Becky

"

Old January 16th 04, 03:10 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Has Anyone ever embroidered with shells ? and if so how can one make a
hole in a shell , to turn it into a 'Bead' ?

Use a hand drill with a very fine bit. Alternately,
use an electric drill like a Dremel with a very fine bit.
They spin very, very fast, so they can put holes in
delicate things like shells without splitting them,
plus they're very easy to use.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 16th 04, 03:20 PM
fran

Cover the area where you want to drill the hole with a couple of
layers of tape. Masking tape should work, or Scotch tape. Do this
on both sides of the shell. Then take a very small drill and slowly
drill through the shell.

This is how I drill holes in plexiglass, and I should think it would
work on shells as well.

Old January 16th 04, 10:10 PM
Pat P

And to be on the safe side, place a piece of sticking plaster (bandaid) or
something similar over the drilling spot first to avoid cracking. Place the
shell on a piece of foam as support, too.

Pat P