Ot embroidering with shells , how does one make holes ?

Old January 17th 04, 06:45 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Pat P"

... place a piece of sticking plaster (bandaid) ...

I'm curious -- does anyone know for certain why bandages got to be called
sticking plaster? The 'sticking' part is understandable -- not so sure about
the plaster part? Do you suppose it comes from casts being made with plaster?
CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old January 17th 04, 02:27 PM
Pat P

Never thought of that, Mary - they`ve always been sticking plasters as far
as I can remember - something to do with "plastering over the cracks" maybe?
I wonder if "Jeeves" knows! LOL! You`ve got me wondering now.

Pat P.

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...

Old January 17th 04, 03:27 PM
Cheryl Isaak

First - you could put the holes were they wouldn't be seen.

But what is the name of the stitch used to attach mirrors. On the other
hand, unless they are small shells and don't need a lot of attaching, you
might lose the effect.

Or a little hot glue might work and then lightly stitch over the shell.
Cheryl

On 1/17/04 11:28 AM, in article , "Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen" wrote:

Paula thank you ,,, i have been thinking maybe those Shells could be
attached by some netting stich , and /or Buttonhole stich ??? The
drilling idea does not appeal to me much.
Well ... back to experimenting ....
mirjam

On 16 Jan 2004 07:37:15 -0800,
(PaulaB) wrote:

(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote in message
Has Anyone ever embroidered with shells ? and if so how can one make a
hole in a shell , to turn it into a 'Bead' ?
mirjam

I would think a jeweler could drill holes in them for you. I have
some nice round amethyst beads I keep forgetting to have drilled...one
of these days!
Paula B.

Old January 17th 04, 05:50 PM
F.James Cripwell

I looked up "plaster" in my dictionary, and seem to have found a
possible answer. Originally "plaster" had two meanings; stuff you put on
people to cure ills, e.g. mustard plaster, and stuff you put on walls.
The stuff you put on walls, originally, did not stick very well. They
invented new stuff, and called it "sticking plaster". When they made
medical plaster which stuck to the skin, as opposed to being bandaged on,
they called this "sticking plaster" as well. HTH.

From: "Pat P"

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old January 18th 04, 04:16 PM
Pat P

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
I looked up "plaster" in my dictionary, and seem to have found a
possible answer. Originally "plaster" had two meanings; stuff you put on
people to cure ills, e.g. mustard plaster, and stuff you put on walls.
The stuff you put on walls, originally, did not stick very well. They
invented new stuff, and called it "sticking plaster". When they made
medical plaster which stuck to the skin, as opposed to being bandaged on,
they called this "sticking plaster" as well. HTH.

That sounds logical!

"Pat P"

Old February 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
Ellice

On 1/17/04 10:27 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

First - you could put the holes were they wouldn't be seen.

But what is the name of the stitch used to attach mirrors. On the other
hand, unless they are small shells and don't need a lot of attaching, you
might lose the effect.

Essentially it's usually a buttonhole stitch in the first row, then detached
buttonhole stitches - you have to essentially make a net - periodically
decreassing the number of stitches so that you can pull in tight enough to
hold the item. I've done this with some recent pieces - one in a class the
instructor had us lightly glue the item down, then do the buttonhole netting
around it - up a couple of rows to capture the complete edge.

Some people also use a stitch that's kind of like a Rhodes variation. I'll
have to look for details.

Ellice

Old February 2nd 04, 06:57 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

On 1/17/04 10:27 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:
But what is the name of the stitch used to attach mirrors. On the other
hand, unless they are small shells and don't need a lot of attaching, you
might lose the effect.

Shisha stitch, and there are two or three ways of doing it. It takes a
bit of practise. There's also raised cup, which you could probably
manage around the shells. But I'm not certain how secure the shells
would be unless first glued or stitched down (from a pre-drilled hole).

I would think either method (raised cup or Shisha) would detract from
the shells, which undoubtedly are a focal point. At least that's where
my head is at on that score. Can't imagine using them without their
being a "reason" for them, thus not hiding them under stitches.

Dianne