Knot drawing software

Old March 29th 04, 06:55 PM
David C. Hurd

Default Knot drawing software

Hi,

I'm an avid fisherman and always looking for new knots to tie. I've
come up with one that looks vaguely like a modified bowline on a bight. In
trying to find software to picture the knot to show it to this group, I came
across the following:

http://www.abbott.demon.co.uk/knottyer3d.html

I've downloaded the software and it looks really swell. Has anyone in
this group tried it?

In any case, after I get the hang of the software, I'll be posting the
knot picture. Looking forward to future knot discussions with you all.

aloha,

David C. Hurd
www.ukuleles.com

Old April 1st 04, 03:45 PM
David C. Hurd

Finally got the knot and explanation on my website. Thanks again to Steve
Abbott for all his help in making the program run smoothly. Here's the url:

http://www.ukuleles.com/Fishing/Tips...kaLureKnot.htm

Reader comments?

David C. Hurd
www.ukuleles.com

Old April 1st 04, 10:51 PM
ben

"David C. Hurd" wrote in message . ..
Finally got the knot and explanation on my website.

Reader comments?

love the result
looks 3D ; there are shadows on the line !
looks real knotted line, not math-graphics

will try knot myself,

ben
Old April 2nd 04, 08:09 PM
roo

Dave,

I just have one question. Most angling loops, on the bight or on the
end, fixed or nooselike, require no free ends or one free end to tie.
Why did you decide to have your loop require access to both free ends
to tie?

(assorted angling knots ref

http://www.fishnet.com.au/knotsrigs/knotsrigs.php

http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fish...vel_steps.html

Cheers,
roo
Old April 2nd 04, 09:50 PM
roo

As a follow up, if you're determined to have a fixed double loop in
your fishing line, couldn't you (just for example) use a beefed-up
version of the Double Dutra Knot shown toward the bottom of this page
(or some other beefed-up fixed double loop knot in Ashley's or knots
shown in other fishing knot books)?:

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/knotgrfx/gallery.htm

You wouldn't need access to both (or either) ends of the line.

-roo
Old April 2nd 04, 09:57 PM
roo

I think I mininterpreted how you intended your loop to be tied. I
lost track of which loop you were referring to. Please ignore my
previous question.

Sincerely,
roo
Old April 3rd 04, 02:31 AM
David C. Hurd

roo,

Excellent references and thanks very much! I'm really happy to have
folks to talk to about knots...8)

I think that your point is well taken assuming that the lure will be
tied directly to the main line. Feeding the rod and reel through the loop
*would* be irksome...

However, since I tie the lure onto a 6' leader which in turn is attached
to the main line snap swivel, it was a matter of little circumstance to feed
the leader through the loop and tighten everything up. I also really liked
the simplicity of the loop snugging against the closed surgeon's knot rather
than having to tie another over hand knot to lock the line. The latter is
difficult in larger lines.

aloha,

David
"roo" wrote in message
m...
Dave,

I just have one question. Most angling loops, on the bight or on the
end, fixed or nooselike, require no free ends or one free end to tie.
Why did you decide to have your loop require access to both free ends
to tie?

(assorted angling knots ref

http://www.fishnet.com.au/knotsrigs/knotsrigs.php

http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fish.../cats_paw_to_s
wivel_steps.html

Cheers,
roo

Gordian knot HAWKNFROG Knots 3 February 4th 05 04:58 PM
Arts and Crafts Network Software CraigJ Jewelry 1 March 20th 04 04:52 AM
Arts and Crafts Network Software Testing CraigJ Doll Houses 0 March 14th 04 04:51 AM
Arts and Crafts Network Software CraigJ Beads 0 March 14th 04 04:49 AM
The Foole's Twist -- an improved handcuff knot O J Knots 0 February 7th 04 02:10 PM