Question about copyrights and inspirations

Old January 8th 04, 09:38 PM
Ellice

On 1/8/04 12:55 PM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

Maybe I should drop them a note - as I said earlier - inspired and trying
very hard to make it not a direct copy. The motif does seem to "repeated"
in other works (different "artists).

There are lots of reference books out there - Dover particularly has many -
of copyright free design elements, motifs. You could just check some
references on Arts & Crafts period architecture, and then see what's out
there and feel pretty free with what you're doing.

Architecture has only been copyright protected, IIRC, from about 1990.

Ellice

Old January 8th 04, 09:40 PM
Ellice

On 1/8/04 3:13 PM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

So how much would I have to change the motif to make it mine? And how do I
know that it wasn't used by someone, somewhere, at some time in the past?

I have this really fun idea for a sampler - it's been growing since I
started with the basic "design". But now, I am worried about some how
infringing on some one else's ideas.

Do a little research on needlework designs of that period. Chances are good
that if it's your original sketch, and you develop upon that - all is fine.
Inspiration in the type of style, lines, angles - is okay - just it would be
the exact duplication of the motif say in a FLW window - that would be the
big problem.

I will go ahead and stitch what I "see", just for me. Beyond that, I guess I
will abandon the idea.

Don't give up!!!!

ellice

Old January 8th 04, 09:42 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/8/04 4:40 PM, in article , "Ellice"
wrote:

[...]

I will continue, even if it is just for me!
Cheryl

Old January 9th 04, 10:53 PM
FKBABB

I have this really fun idea for a sampler - it's been growing since I
started with the basic "design". But now, I am worried about some how
infringing on some one else's ideas.

If you are thinking about Arts and Crafts designs, almost all of the originals
are public domain now. See this chart:

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

You might run into problems marketing something specifically as a Frank Lloyd
Wright design (rather than "inspired by") but that would be on trademark rather
than copyright grounds.

Annie