Miss Davis' Academy

Old January 10th 04, 10:39 PM
Lee Smith

Default Miss Davis' Academy

Hello,

I am writing from Winnipeg, and have been researching Miss Davis' Academy,
which is now known as "Twin Oaks", located a short distance north of here,
in the small town of "St. Andrew's".

My question is, are there any descendants of those who attended Miss Davis'
Academy on this board, and if so, could you help in finding out what type of
needlework she taught to her students?

In "The Road to the Rapids", it is briefly mentioned and described as
nothing more then "plain and ornamental". Also, was there a sampler made?

I have had zero success in finding answers to these questions, posed to
various heritage organizations, our Provincial Archives, including a
descendant of one of Miss Davis's students living in Calgary, and a relative
of Miss Davis, in Winnipeg.

There is nothing in our Legislative Library either.

Thank you for your assistance!

Margaret Smith
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/heritageneedleworks/

Old January 11th 04, 04:41 AM
Lynne Demmery

Have you tried the National Archives in Ottawa? They carry
information about various business etc. http://www.archives.ca/

If you can't find any info on the site, contact them, they can help.
I've used them myself before.

Lynne

Old January 11th 04, 08:22 PM
Linn Skinner

Margaret:

Having done a good deal of research on stitching in early schools I've found
one of the best resources to be looking at the early school records in
general and early educational materials used in the schools. Was this a
private academy? What time period? What needlework instruction books were
used in general in schools of that era, locale. Were there educational
curriculum standards? Did they apply to private vs. public/council schools?
Were schools inspected? Do inspection reports exist? What materials were
purchased for use in the school? Did the academy have accounts at local
shops? What did they purchase there in the way of materials? Do early
newspaper advertisements exist for the school listing subjects taught? Are
there family accounts of fees paid to the school?

Just a few places I tend to look. Right now I need a trip to Brookline, MA
to do some primary source research on a private school there. Good luck in
your adventures.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
www.skinnersisters.com
www.embroideress.blogspot.com

Old January 11th 04, 08:36 PM
Linn Skinner

Margret, from your note - you've undoubtedly followed these resources but
just in case:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/leg-asmb/hansar...b/h040b_1.html

http://www.ualberta.ca/ARCHIVES/inve...k/JCCwpg22.htm

Old January 14th 04, 12:25 AM
Joan Erickson

Margaret Smith wrote:

I have had zero success in finding answers to these questions, posed to
various heritage organizations, our Provincial Archives, including a
descendant of one of Miss Davis's students living in Calgary, and a relative
of Miss Davis, in Winnipeg.

There is nothing in our Legislative Library either.

Have you by any chance checked the archives at the University of
Winnipeg? It may be possible that materials got donated there. Where
was she originally from? Maybe her materials got donated to a
university or society there.
Good luck and keep us posted on your research efforts!

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old January 14th 04, 01:49 PM
Lynne Demmery

What about the EAC (Embroidery Association of Canada)? Their URL is:
www.eac.ca . They might be able to help.

Lynne (in Ottawa)