OT OT how to destroy

Old September 6th 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Default OT OT how to destroy

Such drastic measures aren't necessary. We've used a program (free)
used by many security agencies that wipes and overwrites every byte of
the drive so that nothing is recoverable - even by experts. See this:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/ho...hard-drive/129

and others:
http://tinyurl.com/24axq2a

Then send the machine to be recycled rather than landfilled.

Doc

On Sep 5, 11:49*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
I need to destroy a computer. *It's not that I'm angry or anything. *I just
need it destroyed to ashes.
* * There's nothing on it that would be particularly useful to the law
enforcement drones - just stuff that's personal and I don't want to share..
* * * * Do I take a screwdriver and axe, disembody it and set the whole
thing on fire?
* * * * Years ago, a friend of DD's took one out to the police dept's firing
range and let them have a go at it. *(That computer was a contrary mean
cruel worthless ornery ... *well, you get the picture ... and it gave him a
lot of pleasure to have it shot through.)
* * I don't need that level of killing; just want to know a 'safe' way to
obliterate everything on this one and make it gone, gone, gone. *Polly

Old September 6th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Sorry, but no - reformatting isn't always enough, depending on the
determination of the prier (I had to check the spelling on that one).

On Sep 6, 8:33*am, "Nana.Wilson" wrote:
OH! *Polly, guilty of computer'cide'? *I'd just re-format the hard drive. *I
believe that wipes it all clean. *We give our ole parts away on Freecycle.

Nana

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote in message

On 06/09/2010 04:49, Polly Esther wrote:
I need to destroy a computer. *It's not that I'm angry or anything. *I
just need it destroyed to ashes.
There's nothing on it that would be particularly useful to the law
enforcement drones - just stuff that's personal and I don't want to
share.
Do I take a screwdriver and axe, disembody it and set the whole thing on
fire?
Years ago, a friend of DD's took one out to the police dept's firing
range and let them have a go at it. (That computer was a contrary mean
cruel worthless ornery ... well, you get the picture ... and it gave him
a lot of pleasure to have it shot through.)
I don't need that level of killing; just want to know a 'safe' way to
obliterate everything on this one and make it gone, gone, gone. Polly

Delete ALL files, including the operating system. *Format the disk. Then
take it out and break it up as Nel suggests.

Take the rest in for recycling.

--
Kate *XXXXXX *R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
http://www.katedicey.co.uk

Old September 6th 10, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

okay, the words on the link went right over my head, and Polly's also,
I suspect.

Physical destruction just feels better to the psyche and is proof
visual that the info is gone.

Too bad you don't live closer. Our local law enforcement are having a
shoot this Saturday, they could use the target. No, they won't let me
shoot with them. I told them I'll sign a waiver. But their response in
the negative has confirmed to my mind that they are afraid of being
beat "by a girl" - which is very likely.

Ginger in CA

On Sep 6, 6:00*am, "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:
[...]

obliterate everything on this one and make it gone, gone, gone. *Polly- Hide quoted text -

Old September 6th 10, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Back in The Olden Days I was a reserve police officer and the only female
officer in the department. I shot in the 96 percentile and that irked many
of the men. (Many wives refused to let their husbands work with me, too.)
LOL Good for you, Ginger! Strut your stuff and phooey on insecure men who
can't take the competition. They should try harder instead of refusing to
shoot with you..... ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 6th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

DS's significant other is a police woman. I don't know how well she shoots
but I wouldn't think irritating her
would be a good plan. I bet she shoots pretty well but
am sure she shoots well enough.
Pretty bad when they won't even let you play along with
them. Shame on them. : (
I hope there is a full report coming on the computer destruction.
Taria

Old September 6th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well, it begins this way - the computer was a dud to begin with. Had lots
of little annoying quirks. One of them was that it just might start and
probably would not. Way too many dollars was spent on that rascal. I'll
probably just open it, remove what looks like a hard drive and bash it.
What does a hard drive look like? Can I take all the other parts and weld
them into some sort of arty object? I guess I could create a door stop but
the doors stopped here years ago. Polly

"Taria" DS's significant other is a police woman. I don't know how well

Old September 6th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

It's a box-shaped piece inside your case, with usually a big flat
cable coming out of it. If you have a 2nd rectangle with a fan
thingie, that's not it. The hard drive just sits there looking
inscrutable.

Beware the heavy metals when you get out your soldering iron.
Roberta in D

Old September 6th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Sep 6, 12:03*pm, Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:

Beware the heavy metals

Exactly. And much more.
-----
Many computers and electronics contain components that can be
hazardous to the environment. Some of these components include:

Cathode ray tubes (CRT) - the glass picture tubes found in computer
monitors and TVs contain lead, while the flatscreen monitors contain
small quantities of mercury. The amount of lead varies from *four to
six pounds* per unit.

Printed circuit boards contain hazardous metals including chromium,
cadmium, lead and mercury.

Batteries in electronics and computers may contain lead, mercury,
nickel and cadmium.

http://www.deq.state.ms.us/mdeq.nsf/...e?OpenDocument

Not to mention the plastics that will sit in a landfill forever.

More on Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste
Some computer components can be reused in assembling new computer
products, while others are reduced to metals that can be reused in
applications as varied as construction, flatware, and jewelry.[24]

Substances found in large quantities include epoxy resins, fiberglass,
PCBs, PVC (polyvinyl chlorides), thermosetting plastics, lead, tin,
copper, silicon, beryllium, carbon, iron and aluminium.

Elements found in small amounts include cadmium, mercury, and thallium.
[25]

Elements found in trace amounts include americium, antimony, arsenic,
barium, bismuth, boron, cobalt, europium, gallium, germanium, gold,
indium, lithium, manganese, nickel, niobium, palladium, platinum,
rhodium, ruthenium, selenium, silver, tantalum, terbium, thorium,
titanium, vanadium, and yttrium.

Almost all electronics contain lead and tin (as solder) and copper (as
wire and printed circuit board tracks)
-----

Sorry folks, I just don't see destruction/discard as a responsible
option when there are safer more responsible options available. Every
state has programs/options.

Doc
Old September 6th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

What is funny is when a deputy who knows I shoot says something to
another uniform, who then looks incredulous and sputters and
disbelieves "she shoots? she doesn't look like she's ever held a gun!"
I actually keep one of my better targets squirreled away in my desk,
to pull out to show them.

The element of surprise is priceless!

Ginger in CA

Old September 6th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Switch it off at the mains.

Get a screwdriver and unbolt any screws you find on the back and sides
of the main case.

Take of the main case: it usually gives up to a hefty shove, pull and
slide motion.

Look inside, near the front and look for a rectangular metal box, or
two sheets of metal enclosing a cylindrical thing, like an undersized
CD, but up to an inch thick.

It will be attached with more screws and a few pluggy things (flat
with lots of holes, like a miniature bar of chocolate) usually its
got a fat wire looking like unstretchy elastic attached.

Haul that out and destroy. That was the hard drive. Your machine is
now brain dead. Check if it has a donor card and dispose of its
innards to the charity of your choice. They will make good use of it.

Ours go to the boffins at the local university, who patch them up,
insert new hard drives and so on and ship them out to Africa, India
and other places who need them. They enjoy the challenge. It keeps
them off the streets and the computers get a new home. Win:win.

Does that help?

Nel
(GQ) who has disembowelled more of these than is strictly healthy!