My new Knit Picks Options circular needle set and what I'm makingwith it

Old July 3rd 10, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Samantha Hill

Default My new Knit Picks Options circular needle set and what I'm makingwith it

I have been working on this wrap using a 29-inch circular needle, and it
was getting mighty crowded on 29 inches' worth of cable, so I was
looking for a longer circular, and I ended up looking at this Knit Picks
Options needle set. Despite my better judgment, seeing as though I am
basically between jobs and am technically not making ends meet right now
(although I have an interview on Wednesday that sounds really hopeful),
I bought the the whole acrylic set plus 60-inch cables and two extra
sizes of needles so that (a) my order would go over $50 and (b) so I
would have all the needle sizes I usually use.

"If of thy mortal goods [or income] thou art bereft,
and from thy slender store but two loaves alone to thee are left;
Sell one [or in this case whip out the ol' trusty credit card], and with
the dole
Buy hyacinths [or in this case a new set of circular knitting needles]
to feed thy soul."
- Musharish-Ud-Din Sadi, adapted for purposes of this post

I have a Denise set that I have got frustrated with so I bought
individual Susan Bates 29-inch circulars, but after trying these, now I
am sorry that I didn't buy them to start with.

Lest you think this is an advertisement, which it isn't -- just a
recommendation to try these in best NAYY tradition -- I will include the
instructions on how to knit the wrap I am making. It comes out like
"The Big Snuggly," which you can see he

http://www.knitlist.com/01gift/the-big-snuggly.htm

except that there's no point at the back, so the back looks like a shawl
and the front looks like a ruana. The angle of the "arms" is more like
a 60-degree angle as opposed to the 90-degree angle of "The Big
Snuggly." The style hugs my neck and shoulders nicely so I never have
to worry about it falling off or slopping around, and I can make it as
wide as I want without worrying about how far down the point goes in
back. You could put buttons on it to hold it in a ruana position or a
poncho-type position if you wanted, too.

Please forgive my pidgin knitting terminology. I am still knitting by
the seat of my pants, so to speak.

My directions start you knitting at the inside of the V and working your
way out. Pick any size yarn you want. You can knit this using the
garter stitch directions below, which is completely reversible, or knit
it in any pattern you want, add any border you want, or whatever. Your
choice.

Swatching:
Knit swatch of desired yarn in desired pattern with whatever size
needles it takes until it's drapy and has the texture and openness you
want. Measure gauge.

Instructions:
Using the non-stretchy cast-on method of your choice (I only know of two
casting on methods, and the one I use for this is where you put a loop
on your needle and knit it, then start to knit a second stitch but
instead of pulling the first stitch off the first needle, you put the
new loop on the first needle, creating a second stitch on the needle),
cast on 24-36 inches' worth of stitches, whatever makes it fall from the
back of the neck to at least the traditional hip level (e.g., 7-9 inches
below the natural waist) of the person who is going to wear it so the
edges will stay behind their arms nicely, place marker, cast on two
stitches, place second marker (I use a different color for these markers
so I just have to remember which color comes first on the increase
rows), cast on another 24-36 (or whatever) inches' worth of stitches.

Row 1: Knit all stitches, moving markers as appropriate.
Row 2: Knit to marker, move marker, K1F&B (or whatever increase method
you prefer -- I did YOs for the sportweight one I did in the lace
pattern) for 2 stitches (which makes 4 stitches between the markers
now), move marker, knit to end.

After that, it's all even and odd rows, and you can knit it as wide as
you wish:

Odd rows: Knit all stitches, moving markers when you reach them.

Even rows: Knit until you hit the marker, move marker, K1F&B (or
whatever increase method you prefer), knit to stitch before second
marker, K1F&B (or whatever increase method you prefer), move marker,
knit to end.

Cast off whatever method you wish or feel is appropriate. I only know
of one method, and I honestly don't know what it's called, but you just
knit 2 stitches, bring the first stitch over the second, knit another
stitch and bring the old one over the new one, and repeat until you are
done. Maybe there's a better cast-off somewhere that I don't know of,
but if you do, you can use it.

I am in the middle of knitting my fifth one, sad to say LOL. The first
was single-strand worsted cotton in garter stitch using size 10-1/2
needles, the second one was single-strand worsted acrylic in garter
stitch interspersed with 3 rows each of knit and purl stitches I think
it was something like every 8 or 10 rows using size 9 needles, the third
one was in some brown sportweight Caron Dazzle-Aire yarn that I have had
since my teenage years and had never used in a feather-and-fan type of
stitch using size 9 or 10 needles, the fourth one was in ivory-colored
sportweight Bernat Baby Coordinates (soft of like Lion Brand so-called
Homespun yarn but it's sportweight) in a garter lace pattern using size
8 or 9 needles as a gift, and this one is double-strand worsted acrylic
using size 11 needles. I am ashamed to say that I am selfishly keeping
four of the five for myself except for the one that I made as a gift,
but at least the next one I am making is going to be for my 24YO
daughter. If I had a cheap source of yarn, I might start knitting these
for prayer/comfort shawls if I could find a place that wanted them.
Old July 3rd 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
King's Crown[_3_]

I really enjoy hearing about everything you're doing. Thanks for taking the
time. I just learned the cast on of which you speak near the bottom. My
knitting friend called it a chain cast on. Then she added, "I think." I'm
a very new knitter and I'm going to have to hunt down my knitting book and
look it up.

Lynne

Old July 4th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Samantha Hill

Fay wrote:

The Reader's Digest Knitter's Handbook has 47 different cast-on
instructions.

YIKES! TMI for sure! lol
Old July 4th 10, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn.Mary

Samantha Hill wrote:

[...]

Sam,your instructions sound very like some I have read in 19th century
patterns. Things like "knit even until the piece is long enough to
reach the wearer's waist, then decrease for the waistband" or "knit
until long enough to cover the wearer's arm to the elbow, then start to
increase for the upper arm".

the next one I am making is going to be for my 24YO
daughter. If I had a cheap source of yarn, I might start knitting these
for prayer/comfort shawls if I could find a place that wanted them.

Merciful heavens, is she 24???? Seems like no time since we were talking
about where she was going to college!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old July 4th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzeeq

King's Crown wrote:
I really enjoy hearing about everything you're doing. Thanks for taking the
time. I just learned the cast on of which you speak near the bottom. My
knitting friend called it a chain cast on. Then she added, "I think." I'm
a very new knitter and I'm going to have to hunt down my knitting book and
look it up.

It's usually called the knit or knitted on cast on. It's loose and
stretchy, the cable CO is a little less stretchy - begin like the knit
CO, knit into the first loop and put the new st on the L needle. But
then, insert the R needle between the 2 sts (instead of into the first
one) and put the new loop on the L needle. Repeat. This can be too tight
if you pull on the yarn, don't pull on on it and it should come out
about right.
Old July 5th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Samantha Hill

Olwyn.Mary wrote:

Merciful heavens, is she 24???? Seems like no time since we were talking
about where she was going to college!!

Yeah. Thankfully, she has now decided to go back and finish her
bachelor's. This time she is going to the local state university and
commute, working part-time and going to school until she finishes.
YAHOO! I finally convinced her that going part-time and keeping
chugging is better than not going at all because she can't afford to go
full-time. I think it hit her when her best friend graduated with her
bachelor's this year (from the same university). And they have the
sociology degree she needs for her LCSW, so that will work out fine. I
am very happy!
Old July 6th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn.Mary

Samantha Hill wrote:
Olwyn.Mary wrote:

Merciful heavens, is she 24???? Seems like no time since we were
talking about where she was going to college!!

Yeah. Thankfully, she has now decided to go back and finish her
bachelor's. This time she is going to the local state university and
commute, working part-time and going to school until she finishes.
YAHOO! I finally convinced her that going part-time and keeping
chugging is better than not going at all because she can't afford to go
full-time. I think it hit her when her best friend graduated with her
bachelor's this year (from the same university). And they have the
sociology degree she needs for her LCSW, so that will work out fine. I
am very happy!

It seems to take some of them a while, doesn't it. My then air-head dd
decided to get married the minute she was 21. Oddly, she was the most
rebellious girl you could ever meet, then she married a man in the U.S.
Air Force!! She decided to start a family right away, and concentrated
on that, then suddenly woke up. Every A.F. base has community colllege
facilities, so she got her AA a year ago, and now is going for the B.S.
by distance learning, at an online school accredited by the A.F. as well
as some other organizations. Wonders will never cease. Actually, she
was working at her kids' school, and saw that she will never advance
beyond secretarial level without qualifications so decided she had
better get some.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Knit picks Pallete Spike Driver Yarn 2 January 18th 08 02:44 PM
What length circular needle to use BonnieBlue Yarn 6 December 8th 06 02:06 PM
Knit Picks yarn Amanda Tikkanen Yarn 5 September 28th 05 12:21 PM
Circular Knit Stripes modiste Yarn 5 February 4th 05 08:19 AM
circular needle socks Bud and Jo Yarn 1 December 15th 03 02:05 AM