Crackle glaze as wall paint

Old April 18th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

Default Crackle glaze as wall paint

Hello,

I know this isn't a pottery issue but I thought someone here might
know how/if crackle glaze -- in its application as a way to paint
walls -- can be painted over with regular latex house paint. I don't
want the latter to crack, i.e., I'd like the walls henceforth to just
look like normal flat painted walls.

I'm thinking this won't be possible, that to get what I want I'll have
to sand all the crackle glaze off, which is not my dream come true.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-ml
Old April 19th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Jeremy Kareken

On Apr 18, 12:26 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
In article 448c632e-de75-4655-b5a1-de887cdb9d3a@
8g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
says... Hello,

I know this isn't a pottery issue but I thought someone here might
know how/if crackle glaze -- in its application as a way to paint
walls -- can be painted over with regular latex house paint. I don't
want the latter to crack, i.e., I'd like the walls henceforth to just
look like normal flat painted walls.

I'm thinking this won't be possible, that to get what I want I'll have
to sand all the crackle glaze off, which is not my dream come true.

Internal or external walls?

Internal.
Old April 20th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Rob Morley

In article 3e2d5a51-fb84-44ea-a28d-2c05b1cd2867
@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com, Jeremy Kareken
says...
On Apr 18, 12:26 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
In article 448c632e-de75-4655-b5a1-de887cdb9d3a@
8g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
says... Hello,

I know this isn't a pottery issue but I thought someone here might
know how/if crackle glaze -- in its application as a way to paint
walls -- can be painted over with regular latex house paint. I don't
want the latter to crack, i.e., I'd like the walls henceforth to just
look like normal flat painted walls.

I'm thinking this won't be possible, that to get what I want I'll have
to sand all the crackle glaze off, which is not my dream come true.

Internal or external walls?

Internal.

Here in the UK you can get stuff called Polycell SmoothOver, which is a
fine sticky sandable filler intended for use on cracked or uneven wall
surfaces. It covers up to 2mm and is designed to be easy for DIY
application (according to various reports on the web it's something
between brilliant and absolute rubbish, so I suspect that while good
it's not altogether idiot-proof). I expect there's something similar
available where you are. Depending on your skill and the area/depth to
be covered it might be more economical to get a plasterer in to skim the
walls for you - you'll be paying for his time but the materials cost may
be considerably less.
Old April 20th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

My first thought is WHAT were they thinking! If you like a hand plastered
look you can now get dry wall compound that doesn't shrink (the shrinking
kind might show shadows of the cracks if the cracks are very large and
deep), and with a wide blade spread a skim coat over the wall. You can get
a pretty smooth surface by going over this with a sheetrocking sanders
blade. Just go to Home Depot, Lowes or the like and they can explain it
all. Sanding down the painted surface IMO would be much more work than this
and would not be as attractive. You will be getting a lot of dust however
so you should hang plastic. WEAR a mask! If you don't want a very smooth
surface you can forego the sanding or you can wet sand with a large sponge.
The wet sanding takes some getting use to however. The hand plaster look is
very pretty and you can make it as smooth or as textured as you want. It
just takes a little practice.

Donna

wrote in message
Hello,

I know this isn't a pottery issue but I thought someone here might
know how/if crackle glaze -- in its application as a way to paint
walls -- can be painted over with regular latex house paint. I don't
want the latter to crack, i.e., I'd like the walls henceforth to just
look like normal flat painted walls.

I'm thinking this won't be possible, that to get what I want I'll have
to sand all the crackle glaze off, which is not my dream come true.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-ml

Outside Wall Mural, What kind of paint? [email protected] General Crafting 1 September 21st 07 11:56 AM
How dose one "fill in" the cracks on a crackle glaze? [email protected] Pottery 11 November 24th 06 02:26 PM
Crackle Glass Cylinder? brrian Glass 7 October 13th 06 09:19 PM
Food coloring in 'glaze paint' dkat Pottery 17 April 27th 05 04:38 PM
Warning about "crackle beads" Lee S. Billings Beads 12 July 30th 03 06:42 PM