Modifying a block size a very small amount

Old January 26th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Modifying a block size a very small amount

Hi,

I need to make a block that is 12.5 inches. That way it will be a 12 in
finished size. I have a pattern, and i have made it twice, being super
careful second time around and that thing is only 12 inches... how do I
make it bigger by 1/2 inch? it is a 9 patch variety. I would think I have
to increase the size of each piece... but if the end result only needs to
be 1/2 inch bigger, that is a very small increase to each piece.
Alternatively, does anyone have some cutting measuremnts for a block called
Card trick that actually measures 12.5 as an unfinished block? Thanks

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Carissa in BC

Old January 26th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Measure each "patch" of your 9 patch and make sure they measure 4 1/2
inches.

--
Mary (Idaho to Oregon via Montana)

"Carissa" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: I need to make a block that is 12.5 inches. That way it will be a 12 in
: finished size. I have a pattern, and i have made it twice, being super
: careful second time around and that thing is only 12 inches... how do I
: make it bigger by 1/2 inch? it is a 9 patch variety. I would think I
have
: to increase the size of each piece... but if the end result only needs to
: be 1/2 inch bigger, that is a very small increase to each piece.
: Alternatively, does anyone have some cutting measuremnts for a block
called
: Card trick that actually measures 12.5 as an unfinished block? Thanks
:
: Carissa
:
: --

Old January 26th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ok I will try again, and measure each assembled piece. I measured them but
only to ensure they were all the same size... not what size they were. I
carefully measured them all for size before I sewed them.... Maybe I should
do this type of stuff in the day time lol. Thanks

Old January 26th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Mary's answer should work. For a pattern that is not as straight
forward divide the new size by the old size and then use a copier to
increase by that much. For example 12.5 is 1.0416667 times greater
than 12. So you would tell the copier to increase by that much.

Shana

Old January 26th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carissa wrote:
I need to make a block that is 12.5 inches.

You could also check the accuracy of your 1/4 inch seam. This is the
test I've read about often (I'm a little lazy, and just sew two lines
and then measure if they're 1/4 inch apart):
Take three short strips of fabric cut 1 1/2" wide. Sew together.
Finger press. Measure center strip. It should be EXACTLY 1". If it
is not, adjust your method of measuring to correct (wider or
narrower).

You are probably sewing your 1/4 inch seam a teeny tiny bit too big.
The block might require a "scant 1/4 inch," which means you should be a
thread or two shorter than 1/4 inch to get it to all fit together
correctly in the end. The good news is that once you figure out how to
get an accurate 1/4 inch, it will help you with every block from then
on.

Sorry if this is anything you already know.
-Lynn

Old January 26th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carissa wrote:
does anyone have some cutting measuremnts for a block called
Card trick that actually measures 12.5 as an unfinished block? Thanks

Here you go: http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/CardTrickBlock.html

-Lynn

Old January 26th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/CardTrickBlock.html

here is a 12" block....

always check the cache... lots of blocks -- some in multiple sizes!

Kate in MI

Old January 26th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm with you Lynn.

Given the number of seams in this block and the small difference I would be
looking VERY closely at the seams. You might find you would be fine with
your current measurements if you just sew a scant 1/4" seam allowance.

--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"quilter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 26th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I make Card Trick a lot because I just like it :-). I always make my
HST's, QST's and especially the piece that is half of a HST and half of
a QST, a bit over sized. Then I use a 4.5" square ruler to square them
up and trim to exact size. At that point, a very scant .25" seam will
make the block come out 12.5".

FWIW, the directions in EQ5 say to cut the squares HST pieces at 4 7/8"
and the ones for the QST pieces at 5 1/4". I usually cut them at 5"
and 5 3/8" respectively, just for extra insurance.

It's either waste a teeny bit of fabric or tear out a *lot* of hair in
frustration. No brainer ;-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

Old January 26th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you very much everyone I saved the photocopying instructions...
that was awsome cause although I pretnd to be good at math.... It just aint
so lol. And thank you Anne that is exactly what I shall go and do. I do
have a 1/2 in foot on the machine I bought for quilting and so far up until
now it has been quite accurate (well the foot is at any rate lol) Thank
you all again. Much appreciated.