Project planning

Old March 28th 04, 03:37 PM
Bungadora

Default Project planning

Well, I went to the LBS Saturday and this set me to wondering how people plan
their projects.

In my case, I work at a very small scale, but I'm afraid I don't plan that
well. I bought way more than I need but rationalized I can use the stock for
future projects. The beads are intended to complete an old project. One of the
first amulet bags I made was cursed, and this is about the 5th time I have
remade it, more because of the thread than anything else, but that is another
topic. It's going well this time, after having been punished by sitting in my
drawer for a year. This piece was designed as a result of problem solving more
than anything else, and looks nothing like the original pattern. I intend to
string the beads randomly for the neck portion, but am wondering about
balancing them, and how to do it without pulling the necklace apart too much. I
was going to just eyeball it as I go along.

What has put me in doubt of my methodology, was the presence of a Professional
in the LBS laying out a necklace with her client. She was clearly being very
careful about buying from the very beginning of the project, and buying
specifically only those things that she needed, by laying out the project from
the start.

Of course I am a humble crafting amateur, but if I were to do a layout I would
be more likely to do it in my own home. I find the LBS too distracting. The
other problem is that it is kind of hard to do when using seed beads. And what
happens to serendipity in design?

Meanwhile I'm pleased with the beads I bought. I likely won't use all the leaf
beads for this project, but they are very pleasing all mixed together in the
little Lee Valley tin. They look like a future project.

Dora
Old March 29th 04, 02:14 AM
Christina Peterson

I've never used a lay out board, but I'm planning to get a couple. Mostly
for the measuring function.

I much prefer buying beads by the stand rather than getting just a few.
Doesn't cost much more, and you have the balance of the beads. If I must
get more beads, I'll bring along what I have and pay full price for a couple
of beads, but I do my planning at home.

As for seed beads, my way of "planning" with them is just to drape strands
over my hand to verify color blending.

Tina

Old March 29th 04, 04:28 AM
roxan

I have so many bead on hand I don't have to go searching for them from a
bead store to create a project. I start out with a focal bead or stone and
then look for complimentary colors in my stock on hand. I would find having
to go to a bead store to get them would discourage me from wanting to
complete a project. I have to create when I am in the mood to do something
and can't wait to go get beads to do it. Many times the things I think I may
want to make with the beads I have chosen sometimes don't work and I have to
change to something else. This would be difficult to do if you don't have
beads on hand.
Roxan

Old March 29th 04, 04:46 AM
Bungadora

The lady in the store was using a felt cloth, not a board, but the necklace was
in such a precise semi-circle that I think the cloth was marked. A roll up
board would be extremely handy.

Old March 29th 04, 06:45 AM
Christina Peterson

I bought a box of that new Glad wrap, thinking about some sort of rolled
up-able "board". Haven't used it yet, though.

Tina

NEAT PROJECT !!!! Cheryl Beads 0 March 4th 04 06:27 AM
Book Review: Kate McKinnon, Project Workbook 2003 EL Beads 9 February 25th 04 03:28 PM
Update: World Beading Project meijhana Beads 2 January 2nd 04 05:02 PM
new free project agata bonaccorso Beads 1 December 16th 03 10:55 AM
Today's project laura Beads 17 August 1st 03 05:10 AM