Ladies, spyware in some crochet pages

Old November 12th 04, 01:28 PM

Default Ladies, spyware in some crochet pages

Hi,

Stopping by to let you ladies know that my service tech at repair shop
just advised me yesterday aft that my computer had a mega load of
spyware in it, and they were all in 2 folders of info, one of which
was my crochet info. These were pages I had downloaded from the net
with patterns, etc.

He said he had to use several different spyware programs to remove
them all (Adaware, Panda and I forgot the name of the 3rd program).

Just letting you know, should you be experiencing a slow down in your
computer.

Blue
Old November 12th 04, 07:14 PM
Seaspray

I have ad-aware and spy subtract and use them weekly. I cannot believe the
amount of tracking spyware that these programs find and destroy. These are
free programs that you can download. Also using a firewall should help.

Diane
***************

Old November 12th 04, 09:11 PM
Craftkitten (Darlene)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:14:27 -0500, "Seaspray"
wrote:

I have ad-aware and spy subtract and use them weekly. I cannot believe the
amount of tracking spyware that these programs find and destroy. These are
free programs that you can download. Also using a firewall should help.

Diane

I have ad-aware on my computer as well and use it frequently. I also
think a firewall also helps as we have one at home.

Take care

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Old November 13th 04, 11:56 AM

wrote:

I have ad-aware and spy subtract and use them weekly. I cannot believe the
amount of tracking spyware that these programs find and destroy. These are
free programs that you can download. Also using a firewall should help.

Diane

I have ad-aware on my computer as well and use it frequently. I also
think a firewall also helps as we have one at home.

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Yes, if you use XP, like I do, you have a built in firewall, and if
you are on cable you have a second firewall. Plus Adaware, and Spybot
spyware removers and yet, I still had a load of them on my computer.

I guess these spyware writers know how to get around all this.

Blue

Old November 15th 04, 05:17 PM
Glenn Hennessee

wrote in
:

wrote:

I have ad-aware and spy subtract and use them weekly. I cannot
believe the amount of tracking spyware that these programs find and
destroy. These are free programs that you can download. Also using
a firewall should help.

Diane

I have ad-aware on my computer as well and use it frequently. I also
think a firewall also helps as we have one at home.

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Yes, if you use XP, like I do, you have a built in firewall, and if
you are on cable you have a second firewall. Plus Adaware, and Spybot
spyware removers and yet, I still had a load of them on my computer.

I guess these spyware writers know how to get around all this.

Blue

A firewall won't provide protection against spyware. Most spyware
installs through your browser. Some comes as part of a software program.
Changing your browser from IE to Mozilla or Firebird will help. Ad-Aware
and Spybot-Search and Destroy are both good at ferreting out spyware.
Sometimes running them in Safe Mode (press F8 on the keyboard when
booting the computer to get windows into safe mode) and then running
Spybot or Ad-Aware will help remove some of them. I have encountered a
few that I had to remove by editing the registry and deleting files while
in safe mode. A real pain and not for the faint of heart.
glenn

Old November 16th 04, 02:44 AM
Allaya Diep

It's helpful to install a utility like MereSurfer to block popups and
spyware from being uploaded to your computer. I use Mere Surfer, and run
AdAware and Spybot, and I hardly get anything on my computer nowadays.

Allaya