Best tightest needlework hoop

Old August 17th 04, 03:46 PM
BDS2pds

Default Best tightest needlework hoop

For small projects , what is your favorite hoop?

Old August 17th 04, 05:39 PM
Jere Williams

Q-snaps, without a doubt. I've had a set for over two years, just started
using them about 3 months ago, LOVE them. Amazingly more efficient than a
wooden hoop, at least for me.
--
Jere

Old August 17th 04, 06:00 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I see that Q-snaps come in a 6x6 frame set. They look bulky in
comparison to a wooden hoop. I use the Klass German hoops, which also
hold fabric drum tight (or less tight) as long as you use a screwdriver
to clamp it down properly.

6" is about max for hand-holding with comfort. The 6" Klass is really 5
inches, which I use most often. Occasionally, I switch to a 4".

Anyway, if I ever come across a set of these Q-snaps, I'll be open
minded and give them a good "look". From pictures on the web, they do
look bulky.

Dianne

Old August 17th 04, 08:12 PM
Joan Erickson

BDS2pds wrote:

For small projects , what is your favorite hoop?

How small? The hoops that I've found to hold really tight for
ornament-sized projects are Flexihoops (here's a pictu
http://www.stitchpics.com/flexi.htm ). They also come in a few colors
(red & green, I know). They can be used as "frames" for the project
when finished. The first few times I use one I always use on scrap
fabric as some of the color comes off. After a few times, though,
they're fine.
Other than that, I usually use my metal, spring-loaded hoops, 5" being
my favorite size, for everything.
HTH.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old August 17th 04, 08:38 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: Joan Erickson

... Flexihoops (here's a pictu
http://www.stitchpics.com/flexi.htm )...

I, too, think the Flexihoops are good depending on the size of the project.
Another type of hoop that I like is made of plastic (or something like it) and
has a ridge along the outside center of the inner hoop and a channel along the
inside center of the outer hoop. The ridge fits into the channel and REALLY
holds your fabric drum tight! Both the Flexihoops and this newer type of hoop
are available at Hobby Lobby -- just saw them both last week :-)! CiaoMeow
^;;^

..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old August 17th 04, 10:01 PM
Jere Williams

You're right, q-snaps do look bulky, and that's why I owned them for so long
before I tried them. But they're so light they are nearly weightless, and
surprisingly easy to work with. I'm not constantly having to tighten the
fabric, and I set the frame once when I start and never have to move it. I
have three or four sets, and can mix around lengths to stitch nearly
anything.

--
Jere

Old August 17th 04, 10:54 PM
Marjorie Holme

I do not like q-snaps at all---they're too bulky for my hands to hold
comfortably and won't fit into any of my fanny/lap/floor frames and
won't work at a table with frame weights. I got one as a gift but soon
gave up and gave it away. I like the German hoops, wrapped with twill
tape. Marjorie

Old August 17th 04, 11:34 PM
Becky Andresen

Funny, I was just about to post a question about q-snaps and what
everybody's favorite frame/hoop was. I bought a 6x6 set of q-snaps on eBay
for cheap, and am waiting to get them. I've never used anything but simple
wooden and plastic hoops. I'll give the q-snaps a go, and see how I like
them.

I'm starting to get into working on larger projects, so I want something
that I don't have to move around so much. Not to hijack the thread, but how
do scroll frames work? I've never actually seen one up close.

Personally, for little projects, I still like plain ole' hoops....
Becky A.

"BDS2pds" skrev i melding
For small projects , what is your favorite hoop?

Old August 18th 04, 12:02 AM
KDLark

I am partial to Q-snaps because they don't leave a sharp crease, as hoops can.
If they aren't holding things tight enough, I put a layer of paper towels or
that nubby looking shelf lining stuff in. Disadvantige -- I have split some of
the clamps by tightening the floor or lap frame beyond their stress point. I
have tried scroll frames exacly twice -- couldn't get them to work, so I tossed
them during the move. I kept the hoops for small things.

Katrina L.
Old August 18th 04, 12:20 AM
ragamuffin2004

"BDS2pds" wrote in message
For small projects , what is your favorite hoop?

My 6X6 q-snaps.

Connie and the little Ragamuffin