redwork colorfast red

Old May 12th 04, 10:50 PM
BDS2pds

Default redwork colorfast red

I was told the DMC reds bleed into the white cotton so for someone lazy like
myself who does not want to go to the trouble ot rinsing the DMC reds, is there
an Anchor red that does not bleed?
Last time I rinsed the DMC I lost a lot of the color.
Old May 12th 04, 11:23 PM
Joan Erickson

BDS2pds wrote:

I was told the DMC reds bleed into the white cotton so for someone lazy like
myself who does not want to go to the trouble ot rinsing the DMC reds, is there
an Anchor red that does not bleed?
Last time I rinsed the DMC I lost a lot of the color.

Hm, odd! I've *never* had any of my DMC bleed! FWIW, I've been
stitching nearly 20 years with the stuff.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old May 12th 04, 11:33 PM
BDS2pds

Okie dokie; even when washing the item later? I have it on white so it could
be scary.

Old May 13th 04, 12:34 AM
Joan Erickson

BDS2pds wrote:

Okie dokie; even when washing the item later? I have it on white so it could
be scary.

I'm not a fastidious stitcher so *all* of my projects get washed, in
cool to lukewarm water with Orvus. I've even thrown some things in the
washing machine on warm with no problems.
HTH!

Old May 13th 04, 12:41 AM
Rhea

I've read that too and am really careful when stitching with red, but I never
rinse my threads before stitching. I keep my WIPs wrapped in towels and I
don't eat or drink when I'm stitching. So, I don't wash my work my when I'm
finished. 15 years of stitching and no problems so far.

Rhea from KY

Subject: redwork colorfast red

Old May 13th 04, 12:54 AM
Meredith

You can always snip a bit off the end of a skein, wet it in hot water,
and place it on a white napkin or paper towel. You should be able to
see if it bleeds within a minute or two.

Meredith

Old May 13th 04, 12:56 AM
BDS2pds

This is an item that will be washed so it has to stay put. I don't usually use
the item and wash and dry it so wondered about this ....
Old May 13th 04, 10:24 PM
Marjorie Holme

I've had occasional fibers bleed. I've soaked fibers and still had
bleeding after stitching. And reds do seem to be the worst.

What I've learned is that if it does bleed just keep it wet and soaking
until it all bleeds clear. If you take it out and let it start to dry
and see more bleeding dunk it again. Once it dries those dyes seem to
set permanently.

Running water helps---I've soaked some projects for days, keeping them
in the refrigerator and taking them out when I'm home and holding them
under cool running water. Eventually the bleeding stops and I've dried
the piece and presssed it. I've never noticed any color difference from
the bleeding. Marjorie

Old May 14th 04, 02:31 PM
BDS2pds

Has anyone who does redwork compared DMC with Anchor in regard to bleeding?

Redwork iron on transfer patterns BDS2pds Needlework 8 April 16th 04 04:34 PM
redwork - origins? Yvette Needlework 1 March 12th 04 02:45 AM
Heirloom Floral Redwork Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 October 20th 03 12:44 AM
Kewpie Redwork joan Marketplace 0 October 9th 03 04:58 PM
"Redwork" and Vintage Stitching.... Lula Needlework 10 July 30th 03 02:36 PM