Good News and Bad News

Old September 16th 03, 01:31 AM
Kandice Seeber

Kathy, do you ever have an uneventful day? (((((((hugs)))))))
I wish there was more good news for you - It must be frustrating dealing
with your arm and all that pain.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Good news: I won't need more surgery, thank God. My arm is no longer
paralyzed, and I've regained some strength.

Bad news: The reason I won't need more surgery is that because the first
surgery never healed properly, the doc is afraid that re-doing the spinal
fusion would leave me even worse off than I am now. He feels that I

won't
ever get full strength back on my left side, and that the pain I feel now

is
going to be a permanent condition. I'll be going to the pain clinic as

soon
as I can get an appointment, so I can learn to live with this.

Also, I am back in the wretched collar part-time. The doc wants me to

sleep
in the collar and also wear it while I bead (so my neck won't tilt to one
side). He asked me how I would feel about giving up beading, and when I

told
him that was not an option, he said that we will work on some way to allow

me
to bead without making my condition worse.

More Good news: While waiting for an X-ray, DH and I started talking to a
fellow who repair Harley Davidsons for a living. When we mentioned that

my
sister's husband is a Harley nut, he asked if it was Bill. Amazed, we

repied
that it was -- turns out the fellow knows my sister, and since we look

alike,
he figured out that Bill was the Harley nut we were talking about.

Without prompting, he said that my sister is the light of Bill's life, and
that before he had met her, Bill was the saddest person he had ever met.
Bill is a sweetie, but not the hearts and flowers kind of guy, so I was

sure
that he had never told my sister anything of the sort. So, I called and

told
my sister. She was so surprised and happy that she started crying. :-)

Even more Good news: DD had been placed in a disciplinary class in error,
and was scheduled to be moved to a regular classroom. Her principal

called
me and asked if I would allow DD to stay in the disciplinary class for a
week, to show her what happens to people who refuse to do schoolwork.

(Last
year DD was on a homework strike and got very poor grades, despite having

"A"
averages on tests.

Today, after a week in the Hell class, DD was moved to her proper class.

had assumed it would be a standard level class, but it turns out that she

is
in an advanced placement class, and is very, very happy. The principal

has
promised her that if she reverts to her old lazy ways, she's back in the
other homeroom. Right now, she's so happy to be actually learning

something,
she did her homework without any complaining.
-----------------------

So, it's been a mixed day. After all the poking and pulling and prodding

at
the hospital, I really hurt. I think I'll take an evening off from

beading
and try to get some sleep.

Oh yes, one more piece of good news: DH brought 11 packages to the post
office today, and I have sent out pretty much everything. I only have two
more packets to put together: the one for the beading class and one for

my
cousin. Hooray!

Kathy N-V

Old September 16th 03, 03:08 AM
Diana Curtis

Default Good News and Bad News

--
"Kathy N-V" wrote
Good news: I won't need more surgery

Ok... that is good :-)

Bad news: The reason I won't need more surgery is that because the first
surgery never healed properly,

Bummer!

I'll be going to the pain clinic as soon
as I can get an appointment, so I can learn to live with this

Thats good.. do what you can about what you can.

Also, I am back in the wretched collar part-time.

Ugh. Thats to bad.

He asked me how I would feel about giving up beading, and when I told
him that was not an option, he said that we will work on some way to allow

me
to bead without making my condition worse.

You have a keeper kind of doctor!!!

Right now, she's so happy to be actually learning something,
she did her homework without any complaining.

That is also good news!
-----------------------

So, it's been a mixed day. After all the poking and pulling and prodding

at
the hospital, I really hurt. I think I'll take an evening off from

beading
and try to get some sleep.

Sleep well.. and feel better in the morning.
Diana

Old September 16th 03, 03:45 AM
starlia

Kathy,

I'm so sorry you are in pain. My husband had his neck fused a few months
ago. He was in horrible pain. My best friend had back spinal surgery just
three months ago. She only has half her vertebre left, but she's hopeful
that she won't need surgery for a long time.

I'm happy to hear all the good news. You need the little things in life to
bring a smile to your face.

Starlia
.com...

Old September 16th 03, 07:18 AM
Christina Peterson

Now this is a very wonderful story. Wish the rest of your day had had less
bad news in it.

Tina

Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:31:05 -0400, Kandice Seeber wrote
(in message dRs9b.467222$o%2.207162@sccrnsc02):

Kathy, do you ever have an uneventful day?

If I ever have one, I'll be sure to let you know. :-) Perhaps it's

because
I find life so amusing.

Today, while waiting to register at the hospital, a little girl came up to
me. (kids just come up and talk to me wherever I go) She was about 3

years
old, and had at least a dozen band-aids on her arms. I asked if she had a
boo-boo.

She replied that she hadn't, it was a blood test and made her cry, but all
the band-aids were taking the ouchies away. She then offered me a bite of
the candy she got after her blood test.

I declined, saying I was really too big to be eating her candy.

She nodded and said, "That's good. Because you're real fat, too."

I said thank you, she said you're welcome and skipped back off in her
mother's direction.

(((((((hugs)))))))
I wish there was more good news for you - It must be frustrating dealing
with your arm and all that pain.

It'll be all right. It's nothing I hadn't suspected already. In any

case,
I'm delighted not to have to have more surgery.

Thanks for all the hugs and healing vibes. I feel so loved.

Kathy N-V

Old September 16th 03, 03:24 PM
EL

The last time I had to wear a cervical collar for any length of time I
started covering it with silk (or at least silky) scarves. It felt better
on my neck and somehow didn't seem quite as starkly noticeable.

But I think a completely bead-encrusted collar might be cool ...

Elise

--
This is a post-only address.
Send replies to e_lewis AT bellsouth DOT net
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:23:57 -0400, CLP wrote
(in message Ruu9b.34960$j26.2321@lakeread02):

I am so sorry that you have to keep having pain. If laughing doesn't

hurt, I
have a good one for you. You said you still have to wear the collar? You
could get some white plastic, cut it to look like what a dog has to wear
when he gets neutered, wrap it around your neck and yell into the other
room, "I am so SICK of having to wear this thing!" And when DH comes in

comfort you he will rotfl, yes?

I like that.

I was thinking of getting a spiked dog collar to set off the neck brace.

It
would add a certain je nais se quois, no?

Kathy N-V

Old September 16th 03, 07:14 PM
Christina Peterson

Oh. Well, I guess there is that.

Tina

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "EL"
:

]But I think a completely bead-encrusted collar might be cool ...

oh, yeah!
as long as it's still lightweight and comfortable!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
It's not what you take, when you leave this world behind you;
it's what you leave behind you when you go. -- Randy Travis

Old September 17th 03, 01:10 PM
Marisa Cappetta

Kathy, I hope your shoulder eventually heals. Has the dr mentioned
physiotherapy? It's doing my foot/ankle a power of good.

--
Marisa (AU)
ESBC

Old September 17th 03, 01:14 PM
Marisa Cappetta

I love how kids can make an observation without attaching any judgement LOL.
A friend's child once informed that my caboose was on the large side. *sigh*
Yeah, thanks for pointing it out!

Old September 17th 03, 01:16 PM
Marisa Cappetta

Dr's in the USA seem very quick to get out the ole' knife. Do they try other
forms of therapy first?

Kathy,

I'm so sorry you are in pain. My husband had his neck fused a few months
ago. He was in horrible pain. My best friend had back spinal surgery just
three months ago. She only has half her vertebre left, but she's hopeful
that she won't need surgery for a long time.

I'm happy to hear all the good news. You need the little things in life to
bring a smile to your face.

Starlia
.com...