dmoz listing

Old February 24th 04, 03:24 PM
AJS

Default dmoz listing

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to list my website in dmoz under the category
Shopping: Jewelry: Supplies. I submitted three times with three months
gap between each submission, but to no avail.

I am pretty sure I did not violate any dmoz rule. No mirror sites. No
inappropraite contents. No automated submission. No disguise.

Dmoz says I could email any editor involved in this category. I do not
see any editor in the jewelry supplies category or, infact, in any
upper category.

Any help to 'locate' an editor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
AJS
Old February 25th 04, 06:38 AM

AJS wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to list my website in dmoz under the category
Shopping: Jewelry: Supplies. I submitted three times with three months
gap between each submission, but to no avail.

Don't waste your time.

Google and (to a much lesser extent) Yahoo are the only search engines
that will bring reasonable numbers of visitors to your site.

There are a gaah-zillion jewelry and jewelry supply sites on the net
already, so don't expect too much unless you have other attractive content
(tutorials or articles, or a discussion board) for spiders to trap and
digest.

meta... statements don't count for much anymore, but you might get a few
more hits if you have these done correctly. Do a google search for
tutorials on these.
--
cheers m mbstevens.com
Old February 25th 04, 06:38 AM
Ed

It took me 8 months to get listed in www.dmoz.org. You can ask the
editors for status on your submission at:
http://resource-zone.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

Make sure you read the guidelines first - you must ask exactly as they
want. I asked twice and got submitted. Make sure you only submit to
one category or else they may delete all your submissions!

Regards,
Ed Ferguson
www.CascadiaDesignStudio.com

Old February 25th 04, 06:42 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:38:25 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry m
wrote:

Google and (to a much lesser extent) Yahoo are the only search engines
that will bring reasonable numbers of visitors to your site.

dmoz is not a search engine per se. It's a directory. They say that their
data is used by a number of the actual search engines, including Google and
yahoo. They don't do rankings at all. They simply accept sites for
submission to a desired catagory, and if they feel it deserves to be there,
they add it to the database of catagorized sites. It's the search engines who
then fool with rankings, and the like.

At least that's what one is led to believe on the dmoz site. Dunno how much
actual use those engines make of the data, but it sounds reasionable to me...

Peter
Old February 25th 04, 09:53 AM
*SES*

They have a forum of their own to help people.
http://resource-zone.com/

It takes forever to get listed so don't give up. Took 9 months for something
that I had to do.
Not all categories have editors.

They are the source for most of the directories including Google.

SES
--
http://www.metalcyberspace.com
Listen to the Universe and Dance to the Rhythm of it-*SES*
Old February 26th 04, 04:00 PM
AJS

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments.

It is true that Google and Yahoo operate independent of Dmoz and they
are the ones that bring lot of visitors to the websites. But I believe
getting listed in the Dmoz directory can only improve a site's
rankings. I can verify this only after my site appears in Dmoz.

I have submitted a query to the people at www.resource-zone.com and I
hope I get a response.

Cheers
AJS
Old February 28th 04, 04:16 PM
*SES*

You might also want to check out the forums on
http://www.webmasterworld.com/

SES

Old March 2nd 04, 06:43 AM
Abrasha

m wrote:

AJS wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to list my website in dmoz under the category
Shopping: Jewelry: Supplies. I submitted three times with three months
gap between each submission, but to no avail.

Don't waste your time.

Google and (to a much lesser extent) Yahoo are the only search engines
that will bring reasonable numbers of visitors to your site.

Yahoooo is not a search engine, it's is a directory.

Check http://searchenginewatch.com/

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 20th 04, 04:52 AM
Blaine

SES has some good info. DMOZ is used as a base for most new search engines
and directories so its good to be in it for that more than the direct
traffic they send. Took me over a year to get listed for one of my
websites. I had given up and then months later started seeing DMOZ in my
weblogs.

--
Blaine
HandcraftedJewelry.com