difficulty match fabric

Old May 16th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Default difficulty match fabric

I bought some gorgeous fabric intended for a border that has large
daffodils, then a couple of different other flowers in a gorgeous
blue/purple colour. I need some of that colour to make the inside, it's the
only dark colour there and the only one out of a narrow range of
yellow/orange/green, but I can't find it anywhere, I look along the blues
and they never get purple enough, then in the purples they are already too
purple!

Any ideas?

Anne

Old May 16th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary[_2_]

On May 16, 12:38 am, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
I bought some gorgeous fabric intended for a border that has large
daffodils, then a couple of different other flowers in a gorgeous
blue/purple colour. I need some of that colour to make the inside, it's the
only dark colour there and the only one out of a narrow range of
yellow/orange/green, but I can't find it anywhere, I look along the blues
and they never get purple enough, then in the purples they are already too
purple!

Any ideas?

Anne

Sounds like maybe a mottled blue and purple fabric might work. Going
he
http://www.quiltshops.com/search.htm
and putting in "blue purple" (two words) as keywords, may bring up
something useful, as might going to your local shop and asking for
mottled or ombre fabrics.
I also wondered if you might take some of the closest purple, and some
of the closest blue, and make a sortof patchwork, like stripes, or
mini four patches, from the two fabrics, to work with? And I also
wonder if black might work as well.
Just some thoughts,
HTH,
//Mary/mgl

Old May 16th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

You are playing in a really tricky area, Anne. When I first was learning to
piece, I thought that daffodil / purple was an easy scheme. Not so. Some
of them will draw a line in the dirt and start hurling obscenities at each
other. I looked in Joen Wolfrom's 'Color Play' and see that she sometimes
adds a nearly black deep olive green to the mix. Mary's suggestion of black
might be what you need; maybe solid black (and there are many varieties of
that) or maybe black with a little dash of purple. You could have a
longtime project going but the results will be just gorgeous. Polly

oups.com...

Old May 16th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Sounds like maybe a mottled blue and purple fabric might work. Going
he
http://www.quiltshops.com/search.htm
and putting in "blue purple" (two words) as keywords, may bring up
something useful, as might going to your local shop and asking for
mottled or ombre fabrics.

oh yikes, that brought up a huge long list of shops! It really is a very
specific colour with nothing close to it also in the design, I'd be hesitant
to buy online, but I might have to once I've exhausted local shops.

I also wondered if you might take some of the closest purple, and some
of the closest blue, and make a sortof patchwork, like stripes, or
mini four patches, from the two fabrics, to work with? And I also
wonder if black might work as well.

to complicate matters, it's for a row robin, I was buying my background
fabric, which will be part of every row, which is tiny daffodils all over,
then I saw this and it seems like it will be a fantastic border. I don't
have to provide any other fabric other than the border fabric, but I at
least need some to make my row! Then as it's difficult to find it would seem
fair to include the left overs in the box that I'll pass round.

Anne

Old May 16th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

Anne Rogers wrote:
I bought some gorgeous fabric intended for a border that has large
daffodils, then a couple of different other flowers in a gorgeous
blue/purple colour. I need some of that colour to make the inside,
it's the only dark colour there and the only one out of a narrow
range of yellow/orange/green, but I can't find it anywhere, I look
along the blues and they never get purple enough, then in the purples
they are already too purple!

Any ideas?

Anne

Do you know the manufacturer or the name of the design collection? You might
be able to find the color you need by searching in the same collection.

I don't know how quickly you need it but another thing you could try is to
send a small piece to a couple online shops and see if they can match the
color. I think Carly at http://www.webfabrics.net will do that. There are
probably others.
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old May 16th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Do you know the manufacturer or the name of the design collection? You
might
be able to find the color you need by searching in the same collection.

I do, I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I don't know how quickly you need it but another thing you could try is to
send a small piece to a couple online shops and see if they can match the
color. I think Carly at http://www.webfabrics.net will do that. There are
probably others.

useful info, I might have time if I act now.

Anne

Old May 17th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

share the name so we can take a peak at it online and see what you're
working with!

--
Kate in MI

. ..

Old May 18th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Yes, I would agree that you send some of your difficult color along so
others can see what you are thinking.
Susan

Old May 18th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

share the name so we can take a peak at it online and see what you're
working with!

it's Florabunda Style #B667 by Hoffman California International Fabrics

I'm off to look for a link

Anne

Old May 18th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

yikes, I can't find any reference to it online, I checked the hoffman page
and it's not there, nor any other searches I can think of!

Anne

Needle Match Enzo Matrix Yarn 4 June 26th 06 07:48 PM
Carpet Edging Color Match Key Bored Sewing 2 May 17th 05 11:55 PM
Using dye to match a color? [email protected] Sewing 20 April 24th 05 08:36 AM
Find your match in Russia Gilly Munster General Crafting 0 March 9th 04 10:28 PM