Hey Aaron!

Old July 2nd 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

Default Hey Aaron!

I ripped the front and back of my gansey yesterday because the body
somehow lost 3" in the knitting

8" of work, 8 rows to the inch, 132 stitches per side, 8*8*2*132 ~ 17k
stitches.

Painful but necessary. I rarely check my row gauge cuz I just knit
until the thing is long enough. Dunno what happened this time

On the other hand I know exactly how much knitting will go into the
front and back such at the armholes are the perfect size. So I guess
it wasn't all for naught.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 2nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Like I say, when it is too hot to knit, FROG.
If you were able to lose 3 inches, maybe you were not knitting tight enough
to start with.??? LOL

I dropped some stitches on a cable cross last week, and a few days latter,
ended up frogging way back because I could not fix the runs. There are
other more visible errors such as a few cable crosses that go the wrong way,
but those errors seemed suitably Irish. Dropped stitches seemed just plain
sloppy, even if they did pass the galloping horse test.

After frogging, I had to use a #00 needle to pick up those tight little
loops again. Now, I am back on autopilot. The gauge with the cables and
moss comes out near 8spi. I intend to block it by just putting it on,
taking a hot shower, and then wearing it till it dries. I better hurry up
and finish it before the weather turns cold : )

More needles: I cast on and joined on 5-16 inch long needles. The long
needles make joining without twisting much easier. They worked well for the
welt, but seem clumsy for the pattern. I made a new knitting sheath, that
supports my RH needle a bit higher, so I am now using the set of 5-11 inch
needles that I originally made for this project but could not join without
twisting . The shorter needles are more comfortable and safer. They also
have a faster and firmer action so I can knit faster and tighter. With the
15 inch needles there was always a needle point a few inches from my left
eye. When I leaned forward to get a better look, that needle point was right
in my face.

Aaron

..