beautiful carved wood . . .

Old February 16th 04, 05:20 PM
patrick

Default beautiful carved wood . . .

In case any of you have not seen it, go to the
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking channel and look at the post from Mike
Hide titled "finished bench." It is a series of pictures of the carved legs
on a table that he made. Very good quality and carved workmanship.

Old February 17th 04, 04:14 AM
lucky1

why is there not a "alt.binaries.pictures.carving"?
or sculpture, whittling, I'd really like to see peoples stuff who carve.
I'm just getting started and it would be inspiring. I found abpf and abpww
so and still do check them regularly.

. ..

Old February 17th 04, 05:04 AM

lucky1 wrote:
why is there not a "alt.binaries.pictures.carving"?
or sculpture, whittling, I'd really like to see peoples stuff who carve.
I'm just getting started and it would be inspiring.
I found abpf and abpww...

If you really think it'd help to have a.b.p.c then make one!

I was hanging out on the KoRn newgroup (the "old fart" here) and a
kid started alt.music.deftones and set it up moderated. I tried
like hell to talk him out of having it moderated but he hated spam
and off topic talk sooo much.... :/ I was the first to post to the
new newsgroup as a test and it died a few weeks later... just
because it was moderated and there was a delay in the posts showing
up. :/

Anyway if the dumb kid could do it you could too.

Alvin in AZ
Old February 17th 04, 12:40 PM
patrick

I think that it is a wonderful idea! Carving is something to be seen and
shown through examples. I have looked at every carving book that I can find
for examples that are beyond beginner and can't really find hardly anything
that is what I am looking for. I find my examples from old furniture and
such--we need a newsgroup with pictures. That is the style in which I want
to learn and I know that I am not alone here. If pictures are posted . . .
all styles could be represented for those who carve.

Patrick
my two cents plus a nickel

P.S. How do you open a newsgroup and run it?

Old February 17th 04, 06:23 PM

I think that it is a wonderful idea! Carving is something to be seen and
shown through examples. I have looked at every carving book that I can find
for examples that are beyond beginner and can't really find hardly anything
that is what I am looking for. I find my examples from old furniture and
such--we need a newsgroup with pictures. That is the style in which I want
to learn and I know that I am not alone here. If pictures are posted . . .
all styles could be represented for those who carve.
Patrick
my two cents plus a nickel

That sounds cool, Patrick! But, you charge way too much. :/

P.S. How do you open a newsgroup and run it?

There's newsgroup/s dedicated to that.
And... you don't "run" them unless it's moderated!

If it's moderated all the posts have to go through the moderator,
no matter how much you hate spam and off topic stuff don't do it
that way, ok?

You'll find out alt. groups have "fewer hurdles to jump" than
required for rec. groups.

Then some of those here might have to request "your new group" to
be added to their ISP's list.

Hmmmm... there might be an a.b.p.c already, it just hasn't been
widely distributed?

why is there not a "alt.binaries.pictures.carving"?

Anyway if the dumb kid could do it you could too.

All I "know" about it I picked up from regular NGs like this one
where there was discussion about making new NGs. So I don't really
know anything for sure. :/

Alvin in AZ

Old January 7th 05, 06:32 PM
Randy

That is a great idea. I am new to wood carving/working and would join a
group like that if offered.

"lucky1" wrote in message
why is there not a "alt.binaries.pictures.carving"?
or sculpture, whittling, I'd really like to see peoples stuff who carve.
I'm just getting started and it would be inspiring. I found abpf and
abpww
so and still do check them regularly.

. ..

Old January 8th 05, 12:21 AM
Richard

Randy wrote:
That is a great idea. I am new to wood carving/working and would join a
group like that if offered.

There is a bunch of carving groups over at Yahoo Groups.

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"