help with finding discount on baby blanket poly binding for charity

Old October 28th 03, 07:41 PM

Default help with finding discount on baby blanket poly binding for charity

i volunteered to embroider 16 baby blankets for a local charity--i
supply everything needed. got the fleece & embroidery supplies, no
problem..but the binding is SO expensive, comparatively speaking. can
anyone order wholesale or recommend a way i can buy this stuff by the
yard?
we're talking $5-6 per blanket just for the binding--my husband tells
me to just stroke a check to the shelter and be done with it :-(

any suggestions please??? pretty please???

oh--and please don't suggest serged or decorative hems--already tried
them both...
Old October 28th 03, 08:14 PM
SewStorm

any suggestions please??? pretty please???

oh--and please don't suggest serged or decorative hems--already tried
them both...

Can you just buy the stretch Lycra yardage, and cut your own binding? I
personally don't know of a source for it, although I've seen shiny swimwear
fabric that would work just fine. It doesn't ravel, and you might experiment
with just a small amount to see how it would work.

This is for fleece blankets, right?

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 28th 03, 08:16 PM

yes, it's micro fleece, very delicate with sleeping baby bunnies
embroidered in the corner...i wanted so badly to put that pretty satin
binding around them, tho. it makes them look so elegant and
professional...

Old October 28th 03, 08:32 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

First question: did you mean satin blanket binding or fleece binding? For
satin binding, read on...
If you bought washable/colorfast (or white!) polyester satin by the yard and
cut wide strips of it, you could use it just fine. Cut the strips (no need
for bias strips unless the blankets have curved edges) wide enough that you
can turn under at least a half inch on both edges, plus folded over the edge
for a 2-3 inch wide binding, so probably 5-7 inches wide. Fold and press
the strips in half, then turn under the edges and press, then attach to the
blankets just like the packaged binding. Right now, I can buy this kind of
satin for about $2-3 a yard. You can cut nine 5-inch strips from a 45inch
wide satin, I'd work the measurement so that I got eight slightly wider
ones. Figure the perimeter of the blanket, plus an inch to put the ends
together, (and I can't remember if mitering a corner requires any extra
fabric--but you have 4 of those) then buy twice that length of 45 inch
satin. That should get you 16 strips long enough to go around those
blankets, for much less money than prepackaged binding.
Good luck on this worthwhile project!

Old October 29th 03, 10:27 AM
Lee & Cathi Thomas

According to www.hancocks.com, they have fleece binding and lycra binding on
sale starting tomorrow for 20% off.

Cathi

Old October 30th 03, 11:32 PM

help with finding discount on baby blanket poly binding for charity

Hancock's Fabric stores have a project called
'Warm Up America'. I suggest you look into this program, and, if there
is a Hancock's store near you, go talk to their manager. If you qualify,
they might consider either supplying the binding, or giving a discount
on the purchase of same.
My local Hancock's also has periodic 'bag sales', where they bag up
assorted remnants, and _all_ of the proceeds go to children's hospitals.
Don't forget to check lilyabellos sewing resource guide for loads of
sources.
HTH.
Cea
---

Old October 30th 03, 11:37 PM

Another thought--you might find satin dresses at a local thrift shop,
and cut them up into bias binding. I'm always recycling neat stuff from
the thrift shops. (The latest great find was a new, very gaudy white tee
shirt with about six fancy beaded/sequinned appliques on the front.)
No idea yet what GDD and I will make from this treasure.
Cea

Old October 31st 03, 02:48 AM

last week i went to joanne's to buy more microfleece and told them
what i was doing. "very nice" they said, but no, they didn't discount
anything for anyone, unless the organization was on their "list" for
10% off...

so, off to hancock's i go--while they were cutting up more fleece
(i['d just bought some 3 days before) i explained what i was doing and
got the same reaction, "oh, that's nice...". they wouldn't even give
me the $1 off a yard for the fleece i was buying then because their
fleece sale wasn't for another day...

much as i hate to do it, this may be the last time i volunteer to help
out...

i appreciate your responses, tho...i think i'll try the regional
hancock's office...

Old October 31st 03, 05:04 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Great answer, Cea! I needed to make a 'deer' costume pronto for my eldest
daughter's part in the storyline of their recital. Our local Salvation Army
thrift store was what saved me a boodle....One dun coloured blanket made a
great reindeer!
Cynthia