Bernina 2500CET

Old October 19th 03, 03:41 AM
Micro*

Default Bernina 2500CET

Hi all,
The Bernina 2500CET serger is on sale for almost half price. Does anyone
have any opinions, good or bad, about this machine??

--
"Shut up and keep diggen"
Jerry

Old October 19th 03, 04:13 AM
B. Peg

Check out either www.epinions.com or www.patternreview.com and do a search.
Epinions link:
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Sewing_...splay_~reviews

You need to sign up to get to the review at patternreview.com as the review
is more than 6 months old. I'll save you the time and say it wasn't too
favorable: noisy, machine went back to Bernina, hard to thread, poor video
instruction.

My take on Bernina has always been they are grossly overpriced as well as
their accessories. I got my Babylock Evolve serger from a dealer for near
what the Bernina 2500 sold for (back then) and it does a lot more than the
2500, plus his instructional staff is as good or better than the local
Bernina shop's. So far, no negative's on the BL Evolve for me. Don't get
me started on my experiences with Pfifft though....

Good luck.

BP~

Old October 19th 03, 03:30 PM
Penny S

Micro* spray painted on a boxcar:
Hi all,
The Bernina 2500CET serger is on sale for almost half price. Does
anyone have any opinions, good or bad, about this machine??

If this is the one that does the TOP LOOP cover stitch ( not a just a
regular cover stitch) I've hear that it's fairly finicky to set up and
switch from one stitch to another. Gabrielle has one, maybe she'll pipe in.
Penny S

Old October 22nd 03, 02:11 AM
gabrielle

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:41:08 -0700, Micro* wrote:

Hi all,
The Bernina 2500CET serger is on sale for almost half price. Does anyone
have any opinions, good or bad, about this machine??

I was directed over here from my regular seat in alt.sewing.

I've had a 2500 DCET almost a year now and I still haven't decided if I
like it or not. When it works, it works great, but when it doesn't, it
makes me not want to sew ever again.

Disclosures:
I already own a Bernina 1130S machine and a Bernette 007D serger.

(When I say "twin needle" below, I'm talking about using a twin needle in
my 1130.)

Why I bought the 2500 DCET: I was not really happy with the options
available to me with a twin needle. I have been sewing a lot of
'performance sportswear' lately and wanted to have a more professional
look.

Pros:
- threading for idiots: everything is color-coded & has arrows. Once
you've threaded it a couple of times you *almost* won't need the manual.

- all the tools are in the flip-out front, which I got used to very very
fast

- the presser foot swings out of your way so you can thread the needles
easier, which I also got used to very very fast

- the free arm is nice, but I still can't fit my sleeves over it. It
would only work on men's sizes I think

- NICE rolled hem!

- as a serger, it goes fast. Very fast. I like things that go fast.

Cons:
- manual has detailed directions on threading for coverstitch, and
converting between cover stitch & overlock and back, but the instructions
for threading for overlock, rolled hem, etc are not as detailed

- dust cover doesn't fit on it with the thread tree up, so you have to
fiddle with re-seating the tree when you want to use it

- the 'wiper' thread (for the top & bottom cover stitch) gets knocked out
of the tension guide very easily when you lift the presser foot. :P Seems
to be worse with woolly nylon, which is of course the thread of choice.

- personal gripe about the dealer: I bought a floor model and should have
insisted that they change *both* blades

- no knee lifter

- only 3 pre-set settings for presser foot pressure. This bugs me.

- gripe about the manual: they recommend using a 4-thread stitch to attach
elastic. Bad idea. It's really not stretchy enough.

- feet don't attach as easily as on my 007D

- it has a hard time crossing seams & dealing with bulk--a real negative
if you like sewing in the round. Flat construction would be ok. I don't
like flat construction; I think it's cheesy. If you are really good, you
can use the diff feed to help you over the bumps. But you shouldn't have
to do that.

- it gets kinda squirrelly and is hard to keep in a straight line. This
*really* bugs me because I am a perfectionist about hems.

Results with different fabrics:
I have made nice cover stitch hems in: some swimsuit lycras, heavy t-shirt
knits, and stretch velvets. The stretch velvet alone is why I will
probably keep it; I can't get a twin needle to look anything less than
trashy on stretch velvet.

I have made "ok" cover stitch hems in: some performance fabrics, such as
wicking supplex lycra and coolmax.

I have spent almost *two hours* trying to get a decent hem in some very
slick swimsuit lycras, very stretchy dress fabrics, and very slippery
performance fabrics. I gave up and used a twin needle.

Last time I used the cover stitch machine (last week, on a bike jersey),
it was 6 minutes to convert from serging to cover stitch, with an
occasional quick tip from the manual. HOWEVER. Once you get that done,
there is a lot of dinking & futzing around you have to do to get the thing
to make a decent cover stitch. The pre-set tensions are rarely right for the
thread-fabric combinations I'm using. This bugs me. I want to set it up
& go & put the garment on in a minimal amount of time.

Bottom line: I don't think this particular machine was really ready for
public consumption. As a serger, it rocks, and if you can get a good
deal, it's worth it *as a serger* but IMO you should not pay extra for the
cover stitch *cough* "features". If you want a decent cover stitch, you
are probably better off buying a dedicated machine.

Additional note: some of you may have seen my post on a.s. about which
thread to use in the cover stitch: the Mettler worked out ok, the
Gutermann did not. Picky machine.

Also: Someone I sort of know just bought the Pfaff cover stitch. I hope
to get a report back about that one.

HTH

gabrielle
Old October 22nd 03, 04:52 AM
Micro*

Thanks,
This is the kind of information I was looking for. I'm not sure if the price
justifies the purchase of this machine at this time. Right now my wife is
about to throw her Bernina 180 out the window. The dealer is doing his best
to fix the problem and as a last resort will replace it but it's kind'a
soured us on Bernina.

--
"Shut up and keep diggen"
Jerry

newsan.2003.10.22.01.11.08.743169.27506@nothanks .gorge.net...

Old October 22nd 03, 11:27 AM
Joy Hardie

(Side note: Is something goofy going on with alt.sewing? I havn't
gotten any new messages there since the 13th)

I LOVE my 2000DCE. What is the "T" for?
Mine does the cover as well and I basically don't convert that often
because it does take time. I would have preferred a dedicated
machine. I have had no problems with my machine at all and use it
daily for many types of work. Gabrielle sounds like she is really
"hard core" about hers and is more demanding. She is right about the
waste retainer.
Joy
Old October 22nd 03, 02:51 PM
Penny S

Joy Hardie spray painted on a boxcar:
(Side note: Is something goofy going on with alt.sewing? I havn't
gotten any new messages there since the 13th)

I LOVE my 2000DCE. What is the "T" for?
Mine does the cover as well and I basically don't convert that often
because it does take time. I would have preferred a dedicated
machine. I have had no problems with my machine at all and use it
daily for many types of work. Gabrielle sounds like she is really
"hard core" about hers and is more demanding. She is right about the
waste retainer.
Joy

you have to remember that the 2500 is the ONLY home machine that attempted
to do a TOP LOOP cover. No other serger/cover combonation did this
particular stitch.

Penny S

Old October 22nd 03, 08:21 PM
SewStorm

you have to remember that the 2500 is the ONLY home machine that attempted
to do a TOP LOOP cover. No other serger/cover combonation did this
particular stitch.

Are you sure about this, Penny? I just took a look at the new Pfaff 4874, which
has three of what they call "top cover stitches".

This machine has me drooling with machine envy, the first I've experienced in a
long, long time. It's a 10-thread serger/coverstitch machine that does
absolutely everything. Just what I need, another machine!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 22nd 03, 11:09 PM
Penny S

SewStorm spray painted on a boxcar:
you have to remember that the 2500 is the ONLY home machine that
attempted to do a TOP LOOP cover. No other serger/cover combonation
did this particular stitch.

Are you sure about this, Penny? I just took a look at the new Pfaff
4874, which has three of what they call "top cover stitches".

This machine has me drooling with machine envy, the first I've
experienced in a long, long time. It's a 10-thread serger/coverstitch
machine that does absolutely everything. Just what I need, another
machine!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

No I'm not. As of last year's offering, yes, but not for what's new. I've
been in wait mode after Gabrielle's experince with her Bernina - and I could
have picked one up for $900 but i decided to sit tiight.
The big key would be how easy it is to use and switch around, and how
finicky it is. Time to head over to the Pfaff dealer, they've been wanting
to sell me a machine for years.

Penny

Old October 22nd 03, 11:37 PM
Donna Gennick

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:27:48 GMT, Joy Hardie
wrote:

(Side note: Is something goofy going on with alt.sewing? I havn't
gotten any new messages there since the 13th)

Joy

Hi Joy,
Alt.sewing has been working fine for me lately. I wonder if your
server or computer is having a problem. Too bad you're missing it,
because we're all very excited for you! I hope you get it
straightened out soon.

Donna G.
Michigan's Upper Peninsula